The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2013!

• Oh damn how did I miss the Stanley Parable!! Shame!!

• Some of the best writing in a video game, IMO.

• Really liked this clever game.

• Catching up:
    Steamworld Dig is alright. It's one of those games that plays its cards and provides an end point, and then you work to get there. Totally capable, but equally blatant. I like its straightforwardness, but wish it had more going on.
    Papers Please is great. One of the only games I've played from this year I really liked. Really absorbing and original stuff; very complete feeling.
    The Stanley Parable is terrible. I don't get it. I mean, I get it, but it's so self-satisfied and straining to be clever that I find it annoying and repulsive instead of enchanting or funny or whatever it is everyone else sees.

• The Stanley Parable is a great game. Like Papers Please, I had it written down but it unfortunately got cut. I loved exploring all the endings and all the different combinations you could get. It was like a big jigsaw.

Funnily enough, The Stanley Parable is the only game for which I have a review published, back when WhatCulture let anyone write for them (for free) regardless of writing talent (or lack of, as you can see from my review).

http://whatculture.com/gaming/stanley-parable-pc-review

They had no QA or editing at all. It honestly surprises me that they were still relevant enough to have their own wrestling brand at one point.

• All I really remember of my time with Papers Please is being stressed out over searching for all of the details and possible inconsistencies. I'm sure it was a good game and all, but I wouldn't call it fun. I am pretty sure I legit had a nightmare about the printer that gives you the "you made an error" notices.

I didn't even hear of Wonderful 101 until this year. I think the way people voted for it reflects a sad truth: It is an amazing game that the failure of the Wii U kept from reaching a proper audience. Hopefully the rumors of the Switch port are true so more people can experience Tearju Engi & BigDude1's favorite game from 2013.

I have to agree with @Ringedwithtile about Stanley Parable. I played the demo and couldn't stand its smugness. I have a major distaste for any game that tries to comment on player choice in gaming, or really any game that tries to be philosophical for that matter.

• Global Moderator

I have really missed checking this thread lately (busy days) but this also makes me see that I have missed a lot of games from 2013. Need t0 go back to bunch of them I think.

• Had great moments playing Stanley Parable with my girlfriend. It's rare to find a game she's willing to play but she loved it. Same with Papers Please.

• Heads up!

I'm going on holiday and I'll be back on Tuesday. I had prepared the posts in advance so I could post them quickly every day from my phone, but I forgot to send myself the file!

So I won't be able to post the rest of the countdown until Tuesday, apologies! Hope the suspense won't kill you!

• Any game that challenges standard conventions like The Stanley Parable is a win in my book. Not all the endings are glorious but there's so many split paths that comment on every aspect of life - some being strange, some cheerful and fun, others just downright depressing. The way it shifts tones and completely changes the vibe of what you're doing is rare in any medium and absolutely deserves to be celebrated.

• @axel I'm not upset, just disappointed.

• It's hard to really nail down what makes Wonderful 101 so great, it had a tone oozing with quick and cheesy style to it. A very in depth combat system that rivals and surpasses Bayonetta. Signature Kamiya staples like arcade inspired mini game segments. It needs to be ported to switch so more people can appreciate what a gem it is.

• @axel No worries man, enjoy your vacation!

• Fire Emblem Awakening

#8. Fire Emblem Awakening - 17 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Shoulderguy, Axel)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Brandon_Reister)
    #4: 1 (naltmank)
    HM: 2 (Bigdude1, Exist 2 Inspire)

Information

Release date: February 4 [US], April 20 [EU]
    Developer: Intelligent Systems
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Nintendo 3DS
    Platform(s): Tactical role-playing

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Fire Emblem has never spoken to me for a variety of reasons, but I do believe it's one of the more under-recognized franchises in Nintendo's stable. For a while, it felt like more fans called for a new one with greater frequency until Three Houses' first announcement. The wait is only a couple months more, and I'm curious if it'll be as welcomed as Awakening was.

• The Stanley Parable got so close to getting in my list that it's basically there. Lovely game, I was so into it that I just kept playing it for a bit when I already had seen most of the game.

• Are we getting all 4 days of games

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

#7. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 20 points

Votes

#1: 1 (parasitepaladin)
    #2: 1 (Hanabi)
    #3: 1 (SunPraiser)
    #4: 1 (Bigdude1)
    HM: 6 (DIPSET, Lotias, Tearju Engi, Sazime, NeoCweeny, Hidz)

Information

Release date: February 19 [US], February 21 [EU]
    Developer: PlatinumGames
    Publisher: Konami
    Genre: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, OS X
    Platform(s): Action, Hack and slash

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I only tried the demo back in 2013 and was extremely off put by the mix of stealth parts with action parts. The controls didn't jive with me. Worst of all, it left a bad taste in my mouth knowing Raiden can just kill Metal Gear willy nilly.

Skip ahead to 2018 and I bought this game on-sale and learned to like it a lot. The groundwork for a solid game is all there. It takes the underrated and underappreciated aesthetics and designs of MGS4 but makes it into an action game. Simple, crazy, and fun. It's definitely not re-writing the book here, but its fun.

• I know it's not the best, but it's my favorite Platinum game. Just feels so good parrying attacks and slicing everything into ribbons. Also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0