The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2013!

• @axel I'm not upset, just disappointed.

• It's hard to really nail down what makes Wonderful 101 so great, it had a tone oozing with quick and cheesy style to it. A very in depth combat system that rivals and surpasses Bayonetta. Signature Kamiya staples like arcade inspired mini game segments. It needs to be ported to switch so more people can appreciate what a gem it is.

• @axel No worries man, enjoy your vacation!

• Fire Emblem Awakening

#8. Fire Emblem Awakening - 17 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Shoulderguy, Axel)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (Brandon_Reister)
    #4: 1 (naltmank)
    HM: 2 (Bigdude1, Exist 2 Inspire)

Information

Release date: February 4 [US], April 20 [EU]
    Developer: Intelligent Systems
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Nintendo 3DS
    Platform(s): Tactical role-playing

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Fire Emblem has never spoken to me for a variety of reasons, but I do believe it's one of the more under-recognized franchises in Nintendo's stable. For a while, it felt like more fans called for a new one with greater frequency until Three Houses' first announcement. The wait is only a couple months more, and I'm curious if it'll be as welcomed as Awakening was.

• The Stanley Parable got so close to getting in my list that it's basically there. Lovely game, I was so into it that I just kept playing it for a bit when I already had seen most of the game.

• Are we getting all 4 days of games

• Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

#7. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 20 points

Votes

#1: 1 (parasitepaladin)
    #2: 1 (Hanabi)
    #3: 1 (SunPraiser)
    #4: 1 (Bigdude1)
    HM: 6 (DIPSET, Lotias, Tearju Engi, Sazime, NeoCweeny, Hidz)

Information

Release date: February 19 [US], February 21 [EU]
    Developer: PlatinumGames
    Publisher: Konami
    Genre: PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, OS X
    Platform(s): Action, Hack and slash

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I only tried the demo back in 2013 and was extremely off put by the mix of stealth parts with action parts. The controls didn't jive with me. Worst of all, it left a bad taste in my mouth knowing Raiden can just kill Metal Gear willy nilly.

Skip ahead to 2018 and I bought this game on-sale and learned to like it a lot. The groundwork for a solid game is all there. It takes the underrated and underappreciated aesthetics and designs of MGS4 but makes it into an action game. Simple, crazy, and fun. It's definitely not re-writing the book here, but its fun.

• I know it's not the best, but it's my favorite Platinum game. Just feels so good parrying attacks and slicing everything into ribbons. Also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0

• Cutting things in MGR feels so good. Cutting an enemy in half then taking their life juice or whatever is one of the most satisfying things from last gen. I like that you can cut almost anything but not the cat. I approve of this decision.

• OH HELL YEA BBBOOYYYY. Usually my number 1 gets a lot less love.

• Metal Gear Rising is a rare instance I would really enjoy more of: High-profile partnerships. Sure, we still have Ubisoft and Nintendo over the past couple of years, but at the time, saying "Kojima and Platinum" (and yes, I know Kojima wasn't really all that hands on with this project once development went to Platinum) was probably a jaw-dropping moment. We don't get this kind of thing enough.

While I've already said a ton about my aversion to MGS, I am curious enough to tune in to an EZA stream on it. Shame Konami is Konami, because I think the direction this takes the Metal Gear property could have opened up some very interesting opportunities with it.

• Great game! 👌

• How the fuck did I not vote for this, this is why I hate old GOTY discussions

• Metal Gear Rising is so awesome. I wanted to put in the top 4 but there just wasn't enough space.

• Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

#6. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 21 points

Votes

#1: 2 (naltmank, Sazime)
    #2: 2 (Tearju Engi, Hidz)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    HM: 1 (DIPSET)

Information

Release date: January 22 [US], February 1 [EU]
    Developer: Level-5
    Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: PlayStation 3
    Platform(s): Role-playing

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Going to open up myself to potentially the most negative responses (or just responses in general):

I'm not a fan of the Studio Ghibli art style.

While colorful and unique, there's a certain characteristic about it that just turns me off. I DO commend Ni No Kuni for having that classic feel of traveling around to different locations and having a World Map with typical JRPG aspects, but for me, this is a pass.

And now that we've come to a top five, my predictions are:

Tomb Raider
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    Bioshock: Infinite
    GTA V
    The Last of Us

• So far my 8 games haven't been on the board, Shout Out to Killzone: Mercenary and Lego Marvel Super Heroes.
    Ni No Kuni 1 is a great game.

• Heeeeeey, a game I've played! I really enjoyed this one, even though it's far from perfect. Ding Dong Dell is just too beautiful and the jollyness is off the charts. And the Disney/Ghibli type story is just what I like in games that try to have stories.

Bittersweet side note: this was the last game I finished on my backwards compatible 80gb before it went YLOD. Pour one out.