The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2013!

• I did not have the same problems other folks did with Ni No Kuni, apparently. In fact, when I got to the battle on the ship, mid game, I had to pause and figure out if I was supposed to lose because I sat there for 20 minutes just continually fighting. The difficulty spike did not exist for me.

I wasn't slowed down by the collecting or side quests, either. They were a joy and I really enjoyed every bit of it. I like the art style, story, etc. I just ate it all up.

While I can understand why some folks did not like it, it is far from a bad game. The problems it had, for me, were overshadowed by everything I liked. I'm stoked to see I'm not the only one who liked it so much. :)

• @bard91 not looking to start a war or anything but, care to expand? I feel like I only have fond memories but also feel like there were a few things that irritated me but can't seem to remember any. I know the battle system was pretty basic - especially once you had the dinosaur thing and the tree thing maxed out.

• I played both of these!

Revengeance I don't like much. Environments are really bland, lots of cutscenes and QTE, I didn't like the enemy variety, and I thought the parry kind of trivialized a lot of the combat. I didn't learn to parry until late in the game (Sundowner), and I thought it made the game less fun.

Ni no Kuni was alright. Never finished, but enjoyed the breezy tone until it all started to feel too repetitive. Structurally it seemed content to follow the same rhythms town to town, and the combat system was really boring. Looked nice and I love Hisaishi's music though.

• I've played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance as a free PS Plus game. I've finished it, but that's the only thing I remember about it. As for Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, I've played a demo for 3 minutes and it was too difficult and confusing to keep playing.

• Ni No Kuni is the pokemon game people dreamed of playing, too bad ni no kuni 2 sucks

• I freaking love this game and am blind to all criticisms with it. Great art, great soundtrack, and a touching story. I know people hate the familiar system, but I was addicted to it, so much so that I would accidentally grind trying to befriend everything and never noticed the difficulty spike. For comparison, I thought the final boss of FFX was hard.

• @e_zed_eh_intern sure I can expand.

The battle system was not basic it was bad, poorly concived and implemented, you couldnt guard effectively and the AI companions had a very poor AI that simply spam all mp the first chance rhey would get, the battle system eventually turned into little more than a spam fest.

The story was completely uninteresting and unspiried, not to mention the insufferable amount of hand holding and pointing out the obvious the game never stopped doing, there was also no real attachement to the characters.

The game built up the Withe Witch as the main baddy, which ultimately falling incredibly flat, with her being a non character that added nothing.

People say the game is charming, and I admit that I was initially enthralled by the game, but the more I played and saw how nothing interesting happened and the game was so boring, it lost its charm and all it had left was its mediocre gameplay, uninteresting story and characters.

• I'm in the opposite camp as most people - I loved Ni No Kuni 2 so much I got a platinum for it but I personally couldn't stand the first game in the series. I liked the art style, but it was really the only reason I gave the game 15 hours before I dropped it.

• Ni No Kuni is what I want in size and scale for a dream Dragon Ball game with Kid Goku. Same height and size as the boy, the scale of the buildings are all the same. Lots of jolly characters to meet and good music playing the whole time.

• o shit i missed a few days!

Fire emblem awakening! Loved the game when it came out, kinda fizzled a bit in hindsight but man i had a ton of fun with it! My only complaint with the game was map design was very simple, but the characters and story were very engrossing and the core gameplay had me hooked.

Metal Gear Rising Revengence- I remember playing the demo and not being that good at it. When I got the full game anyway and got really good! Blade mode was great and i loved its focus on parrying. Bosses were among the best in metal gear history!

Never played Ni No Kuni but my sister basically 100 percented it and loved it to death. she had no interest in 2 though

• Tomb Raider

#5. Tomb Raider - 22 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Hazz3r)
    #2: 2 (iboshow, Brannox)
    #3: 1 (ffff0)
    #4: 0
    HM: 6 (El Shmiablo, Brandon_Reister, Bigdude1, bard91, Hidz, Exist 2 Inspire)

Information

Release date: March 5 [US/EU]
    Developer: Crystal Dynamics
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• It didn't make my list, but damn, Crystal Dynamics should be proud of this one. I held out a long time on picking it up, and I wish I hadn't really enjoyed it.

• This was my first Tomb Raider game and I liked it so much that I 100% it. Great mix of puzzles, exploration, combat and traversing. Also I really like strong but vulnerable characters and Lara is one of them.

• While I've never really been into the Tomb Raider franchise, my best friend tried this out a copule years after it released and had let me know to give it a shot. I saw a demo on 360, and was interested enough with said demo to give the full thing a chance.

I'm happy I did, because I absolutely loved Yamatai. While I could've done without some of the characters, I was invested in not only the location, but the concept Lara Croft wasn't the Tomb Raider yet, but becoming as such and learning what it takes to survive.

While each subsequent release of this reboot got less interesting as time went on, there's just something about this game that really spoke to me with its mix of ancient Japanese mythology, "modern" technology, and fun puzzles that were at times challenging, but most were rewarding. Exploring the wrecked ship, bunkers, tombs, and villages of the Solarii were fun.

As is my custom, shout outs to all those who enjoyed this enough to make their lists as well! @El-Shmiablo, @Brandon_Reister, @Bigdude1, @bard91, @Hidz, @Exist-2-Inspire, @ffff0, @iboshow, and @Hazz3r!

• I bought this game twice (PS3 and PS4) on sale... and I didn't enjoy both times I tried it. I don't really understand why I didn't enjoy it, I mean, it seems so right up my alley: Japanese mythology, brutal kills, a open-world-ish version of the Tomb Raider/Uncharted gameplay. I ignored the new series because of this experience.

• Nice seeing TR getting praise, never was much into TR but I prefer the reboot trilogy over the originals.

• Really liked this new Lara adventure though it didn't quite make my list this time around. The structure of the game and its world pleases me a lot, how things connect and you can backtrack easily to different places. Rise of the Tomb Raider is still my favourite in the trilogy, though.

• Tomb Raider is a 10.

One of my favourite characters of all time, this was a masterful reboot. I love everything about it, but especially Lara’s story beats as she progresses through the game. Pure joy to play.

• 3 words.

Better than uncharted

• I have an extra Steam key for Tomb Raider, if anyone wants to try it out after hearing all the praise we have been lauding it with. While I'm not sure how well it has aged, I sure had a lot of fun with it back when I did play it. It's also cool seeing such an iconic character like Lara Croft succeeding in a new franchise with a shift in genre.