The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2013!

• @bard91 Sure, but I thought that the hype was pretty big back then, so at the very least it would appear on a top 20 list lol. Oh well.

• It's always going to be interesting seeing GTV go up against TLoU, but I've spent enough time on this forum to know that there's a huge Naughty Dog fanboy base here that will guarantee TLoU as number 1.

My List:

1.Gone Home

1. Broken Sword 5

2. Phoenix Wright: Duel Destinies

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

4. Corpse Party: Book of Shadows

5. Bravely Default

6. Atelier Ayesha

7. Ys: Memories of Celceta

• I loved A Link Between Worlds, I'd say it's objectively the best 2D Zelda ever.

Very clever first steps towards "open-world" by giving you access to all items from the start, letting you tackle the dungeons in any order. Those dungeons have excellent level design too, a couple with original mechanics.

The remixed soundtrack is catchy as hell, listen to this:

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

I enjoyed every minute of this game, it has a fast pace, the controls are super responsive. Even the story manages to have a charming twist!

It deserves a Switch port!

• @sentinel-beach said in The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2013!:

Well damn, AC IV didn't make it? Means it had less than 8 points, out of which I gave it two. That's pretty cruel, the game was just so much fun in many regards.

It was third on my list.

• With little knowledge about Zelda as a whole, I can't comment to the extent I would like for A Link Between Worlds.

That said, I do concur we can probably guess the top 2... But I don't want to reveal my list in full yet. With all the talk about surprising omissions, I'm more curious about the stats more than any other prior list we've done. I've got my picks as well, but I'm curious how everything shook out to not warrant 25 games. Imagine: AC IV and Brothers probably would've made it if more people participated.

• A Link Between Worlds is just another game that I was way late to the party on. I only picked it up and played it earlier this year and that was only really because I finished Link's Awakening DX for the first time just before and still needed my 2D Zelda fix. I had an great time with this one. It's certainly not my favourite Zelda but it's still an amazing game and I just noticed SMT IV is not going to be on this list...gutted.

• I forgot one last shout out, RESOGUN

• If Animal Crossing doesn't make it, I will write each and every one of you a strongly worded letter.

• Grand Theft Auto V

#2. Grand Theft Auto V - 51 points

Votes

#1: 2 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Phbz)
    #2: 6 (TokyoSlim, bam541, SunPraiser, NeoCweeny, Sentinel Beach, Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 4 (Hazz3r, SabotageTheTruth, Hidz, Capnbobamous)
    #4: 1 (ffff0)
    HM: 3 (Shoulderguy, DIPSET, Bigdude1)

Information

Release date: September 17 [US/EU]
    Developer: Rockstar North
    Publisher: Rockstar Games
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• The Last of Us

#1. The Last of Us - 76 points

Votes

#1: 12 (iboshow, TokyoSlim, Brannox, DIPSET, bam541, ffff0, Lotias, SunPraiser, Sentinel Beach, Hidz, tokeeffe9, Capnbobamous)
    #2: 2 (Hazz3r, bard91)
    #3: 2 (naltmank, Phbz)
    #4: 0
    HM: 2 (SabotageTheTruth, NeoCweeny)

Information

Release date: June 14 [US/EU]
    Developer: Naughty Dog
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure, Survival horror
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I would really like to revisit The Last of Us, because even though I had a great time with it when I played it, and I think it was overall great, I can hardly believe that the game was made by the same developer that made the beyond mediocre Uncharted games.

But as far as I remember The Last of Us was the real deal and it deserves a good amount of the recognition it gets, even though I think it can get a bit overblown.

• I want to give The Last of Us another try. I played some of it years ago and stopped because of my frustration with an early stealth and combat section. Maybe I'll just bump it down to easy next time. Congrats to The Last of Us.

• GTA V was good, and a hilarious game to play in your first year university dorm room, but it felt like GTA 4.5 to me and its one of my biggest disappointments despite liking the game. TLOU was the full package. I had never played a game like it before. It was like Naughty Dog made a mainstream and approachable survival horror game with a solid serious tone. There were amazing gameplay moments as well as amazing story moments.

I'd say TLOU has some of the coolest gameplay scenarios I've played. For example, the entire city of Pittsburgh is a death trap run by a group of "hunters" who kill and harvest anything they can from the "tourists". Another example is fighting your way out of the cannibal tribe, climaxing in Ellie going ape shit on the man who did so many horrible things to her. It just contextualized its gameplay scenarios amazingly.

Then tag on the incredible and entirely unique multiplayer and you have one of the greats.

The game has flaws but the good things make up for it in the long run. It also has an essential DLC story and one of my favourite Extra Hard modes in games.

• Grand Theft Auto V is the most fun I've ever had in a GTA game, so it deserved a larger nod from me.

While I enjoyed my time with The Last of Us (specifically the beginning and ending), the game has soured a bit in my mind if I try to recall the moment to moment gameplay. While not terrible by any means, it really isn't that exciting to me either which is why it was knocked down to just an honorable mention.

Lots of love to Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons as the only other games I nominated that didn't make the list. For Amnesia's case, it really is my favorite from the series and I loved the direction that game took. For Brothers, it was a unique game mechanic that paid off with storytelling, interesting and beautiful all around.

• Most of my list am cry. Got the top two in, but those were more or less a given.

1: The Last of Us
    2: GTA:V
    3: Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
    4: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

HM: Metro: Last Light
    HM: Injustice: Gods Among Us
    HM: Guacamelee!
    HM: The Stanley Parable

• My top 4

1. Fire Emblem: Awakening - Challenging and satisfying strategy RPG gameplay. Memorable characters with interesting personalities. Great visual style. One of my Top 10 favorite all-time games.
    2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - It's the closest thing to A Link to the Past and that's good enough for me.
    3. BioShock Infinite - My favorite of the BioShocks. I put this one next to single-player shooter greats like the new Wolfenstein games, Half-Life 1 and 2, Titanfall 2, DOOM 2016, Halo 3.
    4. Papers, Please - Such a unique video game. Checking papers at a small desk and making tough ethical decisions. It's a perspective I never even thought about before.

Honorable Mentions:

Grand Theft Auto 5 - My second favorite GTA behind San Andreas. As someone who lives in southern California, I enjoy playing Rockstar's over the top take on the region.
    Super Mario 3D World - The best Mario game to play co-op. Peach and Rosalina are my characters of choice.
    Pokemon Y - Mega Evolution. The first in the mainline series to have a 3D world and 3D battles.
    The Stanley Parable - This game has so many endings and choices that can be made. With all the crazy scenarios that can happen with every decision you make. Also, the Narrator is great.

Shout out to @Axel for putting this altogether. I was thinking you might also be a Fire Emblem Awakening fan because of Octopath Traveler in the last Community Best of 2018. Hopefully Fire Emblem: Three Houses is equally as great and takes the top overall spot for this year.

• Here is mine with Rising at number 1! I did...okay.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Rogue Legacy
    SteamWorld Dig
    Tales of Xillia
    Pokémon X and Y
    Guacamelee!
    Project X Zone
    DuckTales: Remastered

• First, about the 2013 GOTY: While I won't prattle on about I adore it (as doing so would COMPLETELY pointless when 11 others share in my sentiment for it being the best game that year), I WILL say I revisited it recently, and the hours just melted away. No matter how times I play it, it never gets old. Also, I'm going to break my custom in tagging others in celebration like I did for the 2018 list, because that's a lot of people, and this post is gonna be another long one. X-)

As for GTA, while I've said way too often I don't like Rockstar's games, I do congratulate it on being in the expected top 2, regardless of runner up or GOTY.

Now, I would like to divulge my list and I'll talk about each one that didn't make the cut, starting from the bottom, working myself up:

1. The Last of Us
    2. Tomb Raider
    3. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
    4. Metro: Last Light
    5. (HM) Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    6. (HM) Bioshock: Infinite
    7. (HM) Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
    8. (HM) Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    9. (Didn't make the cut) God of War: Ascension
    10. (Didn't make the cut) Gears of War: Judgment
    11. (Didn't make the cut) Fuse

Fuse was probably the beginning of my disdain for EA. I fell in love with Overstrike, and at the time, I didn't following games business/news as much as I have over the past few years. When it got rebranded to Fuse, I still wanted to believe because of Insomniac. But this was a valuable lesson. This game is BAD.

A Gears game not making my shortlist would be a shock seeing as how Gears is my favorite Xbox franchise. But the fact this wasn't developed by Epic proper, and instead by People Can Fly, is still a dumbfounding one. While I absolutely enjoy the story concept, the gameplay switch to CoD style AND breaking each and every chapter up was/is/always will be IMMENSELY frustrating. The OTHER disappointment for me in 2013.

As much as I'm also into God of War, Ascension, while no means bad like the two above, was a forgettable experience. Understandably the one looked down on the least, you could tell the story was grasping for something else after visiting every other possible plot point over the previous five games. I've never played multiplayer in ANY game on ANY Sony system, so I cannot comment about Ascension's multiplayer (and the fact I'm not behind the idea of God of War needing to have multiplayer. See the 2018 GOTY).

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag just beat out Ascension for my Honorable Mention because the moment to moment gameplay of being a pirate was a great time, especially when I was sailing listening to the shantys (catching them was a pain in the ass though). Also, I THINK this was the first open world game I got where I was in awe of the size of the world without loading (as I'm not too big on open world games and this DID come in a console launch year). However, I got this game for the lone reason of being a pirate, so having to suffer through the modern day nonsense (plus some actual storylines of the pirate arc) really wasn't fun. If Ascension was more of a memorable story/campaign, it might've gotten an HM nod. Too bad having a single player pirate game was too much fun. This is another game I've only played once, and I need to get back to it soon. It's been six years.

Another game I recently just finished is Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and while that game is actually very good, and would contend for potentially being my second favorite Sly game, there is one fatal flaw that kept it from vying with Metro Last Light to place on the shortlist proper: The game is built with mandatory Sixaxis function. And while on the surface that might not sound bad, on my most recent playthrough of going through ALL the Sly games, there is a mission in the first real job where you have to go fishing with a magnet. It was then I discovered my Sixaxis in my controller was broken and more aggravatingly, Sanzaru did NOT put in a way to remap controls, or even shut Sixaxis off.

THIS MEANS THIS GAME IS UNPLAYABLE WITHOUT A FUNCTIONING SIXAXIS INTERFACE

It took many months for me to decide to get a second controller and now have a piece of tape around one of the grips to identify which one will be used solely for this game. EVERY OTHER PS3 game I own I do not use the Sixaxis at all. But outside of that tangent, I like what it does with the story except with one of the villains (which is some BS), and how it ends (much like the previous game). There are even a couple of locations that are actually some of my favorites (Shout out to Medieval England and Feudal Japan)

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is a very neat looking game, and I love the control scheme how each half of the controller controls a brother. The game also might've made my top four except for one reason. It is a MASSIVE spoiler, but for those who've played it: I share in a phobia with Mr. Moore. And that fear made this game made me have a fit to get through. Once I got past it, I was able to complete it just fine, but because of that moment, I'll never play this game again. Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed my time with Brothers outside of that one spot.

And the final game I'll touch on: Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus. I'm such a staunch supporter of the franchise, so this was a breath of familiar air that I craved after the prior two games, the very, VERY meh All 4 One and the AWFUL Full Frontal Assault, made me feel terrified for the franchise. But this is a legit R&C game through and through. While shorter than most of the other games, it still has the tried and true formula of what makes these games work.

To conclude this massively way too long post, a major thank you to @Axel for always doing these. I know I say it every single opportunity I get, but I just love 'em so much. Until the next one everybody, and thank you for reading, even if was just a sentence!

• I think GTAV and TLOU are both okay games but I'll never understand why they're treated as these monoliths of the end of the seventh gen. Granted, my #1 game for 2013 was Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F because a cool rhythm game with a lotta neat songs and insane amounts of customization is exactly what I needed when it came out. I beat every song on Extreme and put at least 100 hours into both the PS3 and later the Vita versions. I guess I've just got different priorities.

Also shoutouts to Anarchy Reigns (one of my HMs) since I already know nobody else here played that gem of a game.

• I don't get Tomb Raider or Bioshock Infinite or GTA V. I think they all play pretty poorly and have lame stories.

The Last of Us I half-get. Its plot is absorbing, but the rest of it feels really conventional. Weirdly enough its latent, mostly unimpressive gameplay mechanics make for a better online gameplay experience than a single player one.

As far as my picks would have gone, the only things from 2013 I played and felt strongly about were Papers Please and Gunpoint. Not enough to be a part of the thing. Maybe in another year!