The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2013!

• @bam541 Well, as I made reference to above, they didn't do themselves any favors with their previous two games, and Into the Nexus practically came out of nowhere, so no, you are not a dumbo.

And I doubt if there will be a rerelease, because that was (mostly) a PS3 gen trend.

• My list was

1. DmC Devil May Cry
    2. FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    3. Remember Me
    4. Tearaway

HMs
    Tomb Raider
    God of War Ascension
    Killzone Mercenary
    Path of Exile

As for the top 2 big boiz...
    I had a lot of fun with both, and recognize that they are fantastic games, but they just didn't resonate with me well enough to make the list.

1. GTA V

2. Link Between Worlds.

3. SMT IV.

4. Ni No Kuni.

5. Super Mario 3d World.

6. Peggle 2.

7. Rayman Legends

I only briefly played Last of Us at a buddy's house so can't say much on that. In general, I feel like I play far fewer games than most people on here so maybe take all of my future votes with that little grain of salt.

With GTA, I generally consider the latest entry the measure of how much we can do with console gaming at a given time. GTA V in particular is the definitive console sandbox game in my opinion. On top of all the ridiculous things you can do in the regular world and the story, there is also GTA Online and Director Mode that add even more options.

• Aside from the top picks, the variety of items in everyone's list just shows that 2013 was a pretty bad ass year for games.

• Here we go again, some fun facts and some sad facts:

• The Last of Us wins with 76 points, and a spectacular 12 GOTY votes! That's a better score than 2015's winner The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (71 pts), 2000's winner Final Fantasy IX (66 pts), and 2014's winner Shovel Knight (48 pts). And it did that with the lowest amount of voters ever, only 31 people. No contest.
    • Also, the winner is yet another PlayStation exclusive, after 2016, 2017 and 2018!
    • Where you at, GTA V? Second place with 51 points, it was never in danger but also never close to catching up with TLOU. Only 2 GOTY votes, which several other games lower in the list accomplished. Maybe it's just the most played game rather than the most loved?
    • Third place for The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, despite receiving only 4 points from the first 12 voters. Crazy comeback. This is the same spot as Breath of the Wild in 2017, but one spot lower than Majora's Mask in 2000, to date the best ranking ever for a Nintendo exclusive (shame on you!).
    • 4 games from the Top 5 are from Western developers, back when some said Japanese development was dead.
    • The top indie game is The Stanley Parable at #9.
    • Only 2 PlayStation 3 exclusives, but at least it went out with a bang and the GOTY!
    • 2 Wii U exclusives, The Wonderful 101 and Super Mario 3D World. Say what you will about it, this console still managed to sneak in a few games in all of our GOTY lists!
    • 2 3DS exclusives, both in the Top 10!
    • Zero PlayStation 4 or Xbox One exclusive, despite those consoles launching at the end of that year.
    • So who missed out on the Top 20? Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag scored 8 points, same as Gone Home and DmC: Devil May Cry, but lost to them as its highest vote was only #3.
    • 7 points: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.
    • 6 points: Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Pikmin 3, Remember Me, Tales of Xillia, Rayman Legends, Resogun, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.
    • 5 points: God of War: Ascension, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney − Dual Destinies, Bravely Default.
    • 4 points: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, Saints Row IV, Battlefield 4, Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse, Shadow Warrior, Tearaway.
    • 3 points: Injustice: Gods Among Us, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, Gran Turismo 6, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan, Pokémon X and Y, Guacamelee!, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.
    • 2 points: Killzone: Mercenary, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Payday 2, Shadowrun Returns, Lego Marvel Super Heroes, The Walking Dead: Season Two.
    • 1 point: Killzone Shadow Fall, Path of Exile, Anarchy Reigns, Mighty Switch Force! 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines, Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3, Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk, Peggle 2, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Dota 2, Deadpool, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, Project X Zone, DuckTales: Remastered, Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
    • 0 point: Knack.

I've played 7 out of this Top 20. Now on my backlog: The Wonderful 101 and Gone Home.

Thank you to everyone who voted, hopefully next time we can get more people to participate!

I will send this list to the next Community Showcase to get the Allies' opinion of it and promote the future editions as well as the forums as a whole.

• To mods: maybe it's time to move this into Hall of Fame.

• 2013 is the only time my GOTY won as GOTY.

• My list:

1. The Last of Us
    2. Bioshock Infinite
    3. God of War Ascension
    4. Battlefield 4
      HM:
    • Grand Theft Auto V
    • Aliens Colonial Marines
    • Ni No Kuni
    • Metal Gear Rising Revengeance

I’d say that Bioshock Infinite was better then than it is now, but I really appreciated the mind fuck storytelling and how they simplified a lot of the gameplay. Plot holes aside, I really liked it. With that said, I don’t know if it holds up as well as The Last of Us or a lot of our other picks.

• Global Moderator

Not surprised that TLoU took the topspot. This is a game that touched so many of us and its a game that stuck with us,

• @axel This is so awesome and I KNEW Black Flag and Brothers had to just barely missed the cut.

• Who were the other SMT IV voters, I wonder

• Oh man, Brothers was so close.

• ALSO - I'm a bit disappointed nobody really gave Battlefield 4 credit. It is clearly one of the most quality games of the year - from art direction, graphics, audio, and of course, the gunplay. One of my favourite Battlefield games and is still pretty much the one to beat going forward. I haven't liked any multiplayer FPS as much as BF4 since then. COD has been decent but not great. Battlefield had some missteps since then as well.

• Didn't Battlefield 4 have game breaking bugs?

• @iboshow

Not that I know of. It had network issues at first but what big budget game doesn’t these days. Halo MCC took like 4 years to work properly for example.

• @dipset I was under the impression that they never fixed Battlefield 4 on ps4

• Looks like I missed this whole thing. I would've picked Pikmin 3 (which is one of the best games since 2012) and Wind Waker HD.

• Bumping this only to request a move to the Hall of Fame. Thank you in advance if it happens!

• Any intrestest in doing a updated all time games list?

• @ff7cloud I'm very down for this.... But that is one heck of an undertaking.