The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2013!

• I'be played it when it came out and liked it. Want to replay both games soon to prepare myself for Exodus. Also I live in Moscow now, so it will be interesting to revisit Metro's world after getting to know it in real life.

• I picked up the Metro Dual Pack (or whatever it's called) not long after my family got a PS4. Played 2033 and LL back to back, and while both games are superb in my eyes, LL just edges it out for me due to overall gunplay improvements and more memorable set pieces and locations. I can barely recall the story, only flashes of certain moments, I do remember enjoying it. There's a good amount of jank in LL, but ultimately it never got so bad that it ruined the impeccable dark atmosphere and tense gameplay sections. Burning up cobwebs with a lighter and keeping an eye out for the spiders in the dark is spooky af.

• Played this one too. Really neat atmosphere, I dug the stuff on the surface with the gas mask. Shooting and stealthing felt subpar and the story didn't grab me, though.

• While I really did enjoy my time with Gone Home because of how thrilling it was to see a lived in space, it wasn't enough for me to vote for - maybe if we had a few more spots, it would have snuck in. I haven't played the other two entries so I don't have much to say other than I would try them both out if I had the time.

• Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

#17. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 2 (El Shmiablo, Lotias)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (SabotageTheTruth)

Information

Release date: August 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Square Enix Business Division 5
    Publisher: Square Enix
    Genre: MMO
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• FFXIV is such a weird beast. It was released earlier but I guess the overhaul was enough since it's totally a different game it used to be. Like is there any other game that released, got pulled and released again with such a massive changes as FFXIV?

• Although I don't play it anymore, I had to give some love to FFXIV. It was the main reason I bought a PS4 initially and the first MMO I ever played. I got so stupidly addicted to it and still remember things like getting my chocobo for the first time. I wish I had more time and less responsibilities so I could just sink myself into that world again but at least I've got lots of fond memories.

• As big of a fan of the franchise as I am, XIV is one of four main numbered entries I haven't played. For this game, it's simply because it's an MMO. However, the one thing about this game I truly enjoyed isn't necessarily the game itself, but NoClip's documentary on it from a couple of years ago. Kudos to a team that decided to rebuild the entire thing, but having it in its initial state is STILL mind boggling. All that said, still feels good seeing a Final Fantasy on these lists.

• 0 for 4 so far. I've Never played any of these games. Actually I did try some the original FFXIV in Beta when the game was trash. I didn't go back to FFXIV for A Realm Reborn. Though I'm glad Square Enix ultimately did right by the fans who gave the game another shot.

• Global Moderator

Im currenly on a "break" from XIV. But I have had soo much fun with it playing as a dragoon. I absolutely love the art style of it, the world and just how nice all the people I've met in it are. I love final fantasy, I love MMOs, so this was kinda given to be liked from my side.

• Rogue Legacy

#15. Rogue Legacy - 10 points

Votes

#2: 1 (parasitepaladin)
    #4: 2 (Sazime, SabotageTheTruth)
    HM: 2 (Brandon_Reister, tokeeffe9)

Information

Release date: June 27 [US/EU]
    Developer: Cellar Door Games
    Publisher: Cellar Door Games
    Genre: Roguelike
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

Super Mario 3D World

#15. Super Mario 3D World - 10 points

Votes

#2: 1 (naltmank)
    #4: 2 (Hanabi, NeoCweeny)
    HM: 2 (Shoulderguy, E_Zed_Eh_Intern)

Information

Release date: November 22 [US], November 29 [EU]
    Developer: Nintendo EAD Tokyo
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Platformer
    Platform(s): Wii U

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Rogue Legacy is one of those games that sounds bland on paper but is such a delight. It truly creates that "just one more run" mentality and is one of the games that got me interested in rogue-likes - a genre I love dearly now. I cannot wait for the second one to see how they improve on an already stellar experience.

• Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game and easily the second best thing that's still Wii U exclusive to this day.

• A couple of games I don't have any experience with, so comments for each are incredibly short:

For Rouge Legacy, the genre doesn't appeal to me, but I DO like the pixelated style. As for Super Mario 3D World, I have a good friend who says this is his favorite Mario game (and he's not all that into Mario), so hearing him say as such when there's so many other Mario games that get the spotlight is refreshing. That said, this is another case of something high quality on the Wii U that will most likely be held back by both its home hardware, and the company not porting it.

• I'm not a huge rouge-like player, but RL hooked me hard. Satisfying loop, and plenty of chances to upgrade and improve. Feels good.

• Never played Rogue Legacy.

Super Mario 3D World is probably one of my least favourite Mario games but still an awesome game. The only Mario game I've ever got the wife to play. Played through the whole thing together. Or almost did. Stupid Champions Road.

• Super Mario 3D World is distressingly underrated and underplayed. There's some incredible level design in this game.

• Rogue Legacy was just straight up fun. Everything about it just brought me joy. So please put it down, Marie Kondo.

• This reminds me that Rogue Legacy has been on my to-play list for a long time, and as a roguelike fan this should not be the case.

• Hey, I've played Rogue Legacy! It's alright; I wish it had more going on with its design and mechanics. I don't think it hits the highs of other roguelikes, and the game gets a good deal easier as you continue to play with its host of permanent upgrades, but I enjoyed my time with it.