The EZA Community Top 20 Best of 2013!

• I only tried the demo back in 2013 and was extremely off put by the mix of stealth parts with action parts. The controls didn't jive with me. Worst of all, it left a bad taste in my mouth knowing Raiden can just kill Metal Gear willy nilly.

Skip ahead to 2018 and I bought this game on-sale and learned to like it a lot. The groundwork for a solid game is all there. It takes the underrated and underappreciated aesthetics and designs of MGS4 but makes it into an action game. Simple, crazy, and fun. It's definitely not re-writing the book here, but its fun.

• I know it's not the best, but it's my favorite Platinum game. Just feels so good parrying attacks and slicing everything into ribbons. Also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3472Q6kvg0

• Cutting things in MGR feels so good. Cutting an enemy in half then taking their life juice or whatever is one of the most satisfying things from last gen. I like that you can cut almost anything but not the cat. I approve of this decision.

• OH HELL YEA BBBOOYYYY. Usually my number 1 gets a lot less love.

• Metal Gear Rising is a rare instance I would really enjoy more of: High-profile partnerships. Sure, we still have Ubisoft and Nintendo over the past couple of years, but at the time, saying "Kojima and Platinum" (and yes, I know Kojima wasn't really all that hands on with this project once development went to Platinum) was probably a jaw-dropping moment. We don't get this kind of thing enough.

While I've already said a ton about my aversion to MGS, I am curious enough to tune in to an EZA stream on it. Shame Konami is Konami, because I think the direction this takes the Metal Gear property could have opened up some very interesting opportunities with it.

• Great game! 👌

• How the fuck did I not vote for this, this is why I hate old GOTY discussions

• Metal Gear Rising is so awesome. I wanted to put in the top 4 but there just wasn't enough space.

• Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

#6. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 21 points

Votes

#1: 2 (naltmank, Sazime)
    #2: 2 (Tearju Engi, Hidz)
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern)
    HM: 1 (DIPSET)

Information

Release date: January 22 [US], February 1 [EU]
    Developer: Level-5
    Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: PlayStation 3
    Platform(s): Role-playing

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Going to open up myself to potentially the most negative responses (or just responses in general):

I'm not a fan of the Studio Ghibli art style.

While colorful and unique, there's a certain characteristic about it that just turns me off. I DO commend Ni No Kuni for having that classic feel of traveling around to different locations and having a World Map with typical JRPG aspects, but for me, this is a pass.

And now that we've come to a top five, my predictions are:

Tomb Raider
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    Bioshock: Infinite
    GTA V
    The Last of Us

• So far my 8 games haven't been on the board, Shout Out to Killzone: Mercenary and Lego Marvel Super Heroes.
    Ni No Kuni 1 is a great game.

• Heeeeeey, a game I've played! I really enjoyed this one, even though it's far from perfect. Ding Dong Dell is just too beautiful and the jollyness is off the charts. And the Disney/Ghibli type story is just what I like in games that try to have stories.

Bittersweet side note: this was the last game I finished on my backwards compatible 80gb before it went YLOD. Pour one out.

• Ni No Kuni is the most dissapointing game I have ever played, and an terrible terrible JRPG.

Obviously people disagree with me, but I was so dissapointed at this game that I get mad when I think about all of the wasted potential, simply a bad game

• Good game with an insane difficulty spike. I couldn't ever bring myself to finish it. Nothing worse than spending 20+ hours learning the ropes only for the game to be stupidly difficult for no reason other than an unperfected battle system.

Ni No Kuni is a bitter honourable mention because its very good but also insanely flawed. An enjoyable 20 hours with great animation and a pretty gripping story at first, but damn, it falls off hard. Still a lot I like about this game including the battle system and writing. It just made humongous jumps that didn't work for me.

• I did not have the same problems other folks did with Ni No Kuni, apparently. In fact, when I got to the battle on the ship, mid game, I had to pause and figure out if I was supposed to lose because I sat there for 20 minutes just continually fighting. The difficulty spike did not exist for me.

I wasn't slowed down by the collecting or side quests, either. They were a joy and I really enjoyed every bit of it. I like the art style, story, etc. I just ate it all up.

While I can understand why some folks did not like it, it is far from a bad game. The problems it had, for me, were overshadowed by everything I liked. I'm stoked to see I'm not the only one who liked it so much. :)

• @bard91 not looking to start a war or anything but, care to expand? I feel like I only have fond memories but also feel like there were a few things that irritated me but can't seem to remember any. I know the battle system was pretty basic - especially once you had the dinosaur thing and the tree thing maxed out.

• I played both of these!

Revengeance I don't like much. Environments are really bland, lots of cutscenes and QTE, I didn't like the enemy variety, and I thought the parry kind of trivialized a lot of the combat. I didn't learn to parry until late in the game (Sundowner), and I thought it made the game less fun.

Ni no Kuni was alright. Never finished, but enjoyed the breezy tone until it all started to feel too repetitive. Structurally it seemed content to follow the same rhythms town to town, and the combat system was really boring. Looked nice and I love Hisaishi's music though.

• I've played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance as a free PS Plus game. I've finished it, but that's the only thing I remember about it. As for Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, I've played a demo for 3 minutes and it was too difficult and confusing to keep playing.

• Ni No Kuni is the pokemon game people dreamed of playing, too bad ni no kuni 2 sucks

• I freaking love this game and am blind to all criticisms with it. Great art, great soundtrack, and a touching story. I know people hate the familiar system, but I was addicted to it, so much so that I would accidentally grind trying to befriend everything and never noticed the difficulty spike. For comparison, I thought the final boss of FFX was hard.