No Man's Sky (PC/PS4/XBO)

• @Whoaness 10/10 will visit this system

• @tokeeffe9 Trust me, there's no context needed for the ending. It's not that "people don't like it after watching it". It's just that it's nothing, actually factually nothing. It's like if someone teased about a new thing at the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop, so you bought one excited to see what that new thing was, but you get to the center and it's just more hard candy instead of the usual Tootsie Roll or anything else. Like that's fine for people who like the outside of Tootsie Roll Pops, and you can argue whether it's worth mentioning as a feature of these new Tootsie Roll Pops, but you can't really deny the product is being sold on a mystery that basically doesn't exist.

This is in no way similar to the ending cutscene of a story driven game, and when you do reach this ending, I really wonder if you're still going to want to defend it.

• Global Moderator

@Mbun I'm not defending whether it's good or not. I'm just defending this idea that the developers led people to believe it would be incredible and is the main point of the game.

• @tokeeffe9 Maybe as a developer don't keep mentioning it, shroud it in mystery, and state some players will see this as the end goal if you don't want it to come off as some worthwhile endgame event. I don't get why people even defend this. I understand enjoying the game, but if the industry did this with every game you would be very upset and get tired of all the BS misdirection. There's some things you can wave away as people got too hyped for stuff the community themselves dreamt up, but if you go back and read the articles and listen to the interviews about No Man's Sky there's also very obviously some things that were exaggerated and purposely kept a mystery for the sole purpose of over inflating and romanticizing a so so game.

• I don't think they oversold it. It's exactly what I envisioned from what was shown at the E3s and PSX. I've even watched a couple of interviews, one from IGN and Late Night with Colbert.

I didn't know about the inventory or ship slots or the combat. All I expected was Pokemon Snap in space.
    Getting to the centre? An afterthought. A nice objective, but ultimately not what the game is about. I never seen Sean Murray keep saying "the centre of the Galaxy is the reason why you should play this game." All I heard was how this game let's you explore an infinite galaxy.

• @Mbun It's an exploration/discovery game. I think they had to shroud it in mystery, because that's literally the whole game. What do you want them to do? Put out a public beta, and let people get bored of it pre-launch? Or maybe just say, "Yeah, it's just a harder version of the 'outer rims' of the game, it's a sort of end goal, but not really"? That's not selling a game. What they said about it: 1) there's a center of the universe, and 2) some players will want to go there, and 3) it'll be different than where you start.

This game is only limited by your own imagination. Was it overhyped? I guess - but in the 2 years+ I've been following this game, I've never let my expectations get out of hand. I didn't expect multiplayer, I didn't expect narration or even a guided experience. It is almost exactly what I expected.

It's a job of a company to hype up their game. It's your job as a consumer to be informed about the reality of it.

• I definitely view this game's release as one of the most interesting in awhile. Seeing critics like Jim Sterling (who I normally respect) rush to give it a score a day after it's true release has me severely feeling like a lot of people just... don't get it. I realize that's a pretentious and dangerous thing to say as it seems to stifle criticism of the game but if you consider yourself a journalist, I fail to see how you can understand everything about the game and write all of those thoughts down within 24 hours. To me, it screams that a lot of people just wanted to hate this game solely based on the amount of hype around it, which is pretty damn unfair to the game, especially when its creators were very upfront with where everyone's expectations should be. Yet in my own personal life, nearly everyone I know is playing it and absolutely loving it - mainly because they've sunk more than a few hours into it and realize there's a lot of variation to be discovered.

I absolutely loved how passionate Jones was on the most recent podcast, basically calling out all these other journalists for a lack of morality - finding ways to play a game before its release, to deliver unfair critiques on a game whose developer expressly stated would be vastly different after the day one patch. Once I see any reviewer mention the survival elements are too intrusive, I immediately know they either played an old version of the game, played for half an hour, or didn't play it at all.

Now I'm curious how people/critics are going to react when FFXV/The Last Guardian are released because honestly, I view those games as much more hyped than No Man's Sky, in part due to their development times.

• I feel like I have seen everything this game has to offer after only 7 planets. Same formula on every planet. Use resources to fuel your weapon and life support to get more resources to go to the next planet to use resources to fuel your weapon and life support to get more resources to go to the next planet to use resources . . .

There is no true diversity on the planets, just different skins. Every module/settlement is the same and nothing new seems to be added. I just don't see how this game can introduce any new hooks for me to care. Seeing different skins on what are essentially the same bipedal and quadrapedal aliens and the environment is not worth it for what appears to be some of the most repetitive gameplay I have ever seen.

I respect Sean Murray and what his team has done, but I can't call this a good game.

• if any reviewer uploaded their review less than a week after launch then their review is invalid imo....you need way more time with this game than just a day or two to really get it going...

i was watching this one streamer who right now doesn't have any problems with inventory, or any of the various statuses that happen on some planets, he has more than enough money, and right now he's just enjoying the exploration ect..

i feel like once you get past early game (hmmm like a lot of video games) it opens up a whole new world, and turns into a very different video game.

then again most of the hate is coming from the PC crowd so i already don't respect them anyway lol.

• @Lexad I think the problem is exactly thinking that you've seen it all after 7 planets. You said it's just a reskin of bipedal and quadrapedal creatures, but there are creatures with no legs that bounce around like giant marshmallows, there are even creatures with six legs, some look like spiders, some are tentacle monsters bouncing around. With what you said, I don't think you've seen it all.

But let's say you weren't interested in looking at creatures to begin with since you seem to be more focused on gameplay. Have you gone to planets where sentinels are hostile and will shoot you on sight? Have you gone to planets with Extreme weather that forces you to find shelter every few minutes? Have you gotten to the point where Pirates will attack you for your cargo, or attacking cargo ships in which you need to defend? While I don't know if you'll find these later events to be meaningful, I don't think you have seen all of the gameplay.

Let me share one of my best moments I had in No Man's Sky. I land on a moon in search of completing the zoology milestone. The planet's whether reads as arid, but that doesn't describe what it actually is. The temperature goes from 100 degrees celsius in the day, with heat storms raging every few minutes, and at night, the temperature drops to -80. The sentinels are hostile. They will shoot on sight. I was determined to find and scan all the creatures on this planet, so I set off on foot. Little did I realize how insane the whether was, and immediately realize that it was going to kill me quickly. I find the nearest cave to get out of the storm and to look at my gear. I craft additional heat and cold protection as insurance so I can safely get to one shelter from another.

Then I realize another problem. With hostile sentinels, and resources I mine will alert them to my position in the caverns. A couple of sentinels come after me, and I didn't have the best tool to deal with them as this was my first hostile sentinel planet. I dispatch one of them, but the other is out of sight, alerting other sentinels to come. I quickly craft additional firepower into my multi-tool because I was going to need it to take them down before they alert even more. I managed to fend off the next wave of sentinels and preventing from alerting any more, but I quickly realized that all the crafting has drained my resources and my ship is far away.

I couldn't risk alerting more sentinels, nor could I afford to use more resources killing them. The only resources I could rely on without alerting sentinels are the flower resources, the Thaumium9 and Zinc flowers. I set out for the next marker as the storm passes, but I still had to deal with the temperature. I needed isotopes for my multi-tool, and I needed oxide for my environmental shields. I had to constantly scan, make detours to pick up all the little resources I could before the storm came again. Killing only what I needed to, being careful with my resources, surviving on this hostile world, I managed to find all the species and get my reward. It was the most intense 2 hours I had with No Man's Sky.

Maybe I was lucky, or unlucky, that I found this planet. Not all extreme whether planets have hostile sentinels, and not all hostile sentinel worlds have extreme whether, but I cannot look at anyone straight when they say the gameplay in No Man's Sky is lacking. The gameplay systems are there and working, and I had a blast with the gameplay.

• @Whoaness said in No Man's Sky - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

@Lexad I think the problem is exactly thinking that you've seen it all after 7 planets. You said it's just a reskin of bipedal and quadrapedal creatures, but there are creatures with no legs that bounce around like giant marshmallows, there are even creatures with six legs, some look like spiders, some are tentacle monsters bouncing around. With what you said, I don't think you've seen it all.

But let's say you weren't interested in looking at creatures to begin with since you seem to be more focused on gameplay. Have you gone to planets where sentinels are hostile and will shoot you on sight? Have you gone to planets with Extreme weather that forces you to find shelter every few minutes? Have you gotten to the point where Pirates will attack you for your cargo, or attacking cargo ships in which you need to defend? While I don't know if you'll find these later events to be meaningful, I don't think you have seen all of the gameplay.

Of those, every planet has been extreme environments (cold, hot, and radiation), I have been attacked by pirates, and I have also seen bouncing marshmellows, same exact marshmellow with cthulu tentacles, crab like spider things, and attacking plants. I have not encountered attacking sentinels on site but I have fought them when I excessively scanned. Gunplay is not its strong suit. Also the pirates was annoying and I had to hide back in the space station because I could not control my ship well enough to hit them. Maybe my controls are wonky but to me the controls/gunplay are extremely floaty and frankly unfun.

• @Lexad Not sure if true, but I've heard the ships control better as you get better ones. Also, IGN's guide for the game references a magazine article that says there's apparently different kinds of ships? I haven't really encountered any difference myself besides storage sizes and physical appearances.

Apparently, "Ships come in multiple classes, including Fighter, Explorer, and Science, and Trader."
    http://www.ign.com/wikis/no-mans-sky/Ships

Not sure if that was a scrapped concept that never made it into the full game or the difference is just not noticeable at all to the average player.

• New shippy!
    alt text

• @Lexad The point of ships are to upgrade them. I can take out 5 ship encounters since I have the best shield and weapon upgrades. The point of the game isn't a space battle killing sim. The pirates are meant to force you to upgrade your ship and spend your resources.

You're expecting some kind of Rogue Squadron game, but it's just an exploration game with survival elements.

@Lexad The point of ships are to upgrade them. I can take out 5 ship encounters since I have the best shield and weapon upgrades. The point of the game isn't a space battle killing sim. The pirates are meant to force you to upgrade your ship and spend your resources.

You're expecting some kind of Rogue Squadron game, but it's just an exploration game with survival elements.

I had to run because I couldn't control the ship, not because my blasters were weak. The game doesn't have to be Rogue Squadron to have decent controls. But I am also weird in that I think GTA is pretty much incompetent when it comes to driving and is unusable to me.

I respect that you like the game, that is awesome and I am really happy that you are getting enjoyment out of it. I am really proud of the success that Hello Games and Sean are getting for this. But I don't like this game, simple as that. I don't need to play this game for 20 hours to recognize this game is not going to be my style.

• @Lexad Your shields and blasters are weak, that's why you can't fight the pirates. There's nothing else to it.
    There is no way you can't aim and hit the pirates, especially with its insane auto aim.

You don't like the game, that's fine, but you can't criticize the game for something that it's not.

@Lexad Your shields and blasters are weak, that's why you can't fight the pirates. There's nothing else to it.
    There is no way you can't aim and hit the pirates, especially with its insane auto aim.

You don't like the game, that's fine, but you can't criticize the game for something that it's not.

I can criticize a game that it doesn't fit my tastes. And no, I could not aim, aim assist was non-existent when I fought these guys.

I would enter hyperspeed levels and the ship would begin tilting in the weirdest ways. Slightest tilts in the atmosphere of a planet would have me going in the direction of the planet, not a slight right to hit a pirate.

Your first position was that I didn't like the game because I didn't experience enough of it, but in fact I experienced nearly 90% of what you had mentioned. You have shifted positions since then that I am shit at controlling the ships (which maybe I am, but it doesn't help my enjoyment of the game)

The average user scores are 4.9 after 3500 reviews on metacritic. I am not saying this makes me right or you wrong, but it does mean that this game is not for everyone, and people do have criticisms.

• @Lexad That's like saying "I didn't like Burnout because the driving wasn't realistic enough like Gran Turismo".

Sorry man, criticism doesn't work like that. You don't watch a Marvel Movie expecting Shawshank Redemption drama. You don't go to McDonald's expecting sushi. You criticize a game for what it is and what it's lacking.
    If you're looking for a pure ship battle, don't dream up that No Man's Sky was going to be that when it was always going to be an exploration game. The auto aim is so generous that if the pirate is even visible when you shoot, you will hit it. I've played the game long enough to know that's how it works.

And as for your 90% comment, I feel really doubtful about it because you failed to mention that in your first post you made about how planets only had reskinned bipedal and quadrapedal creatures. Now you're suddenly saying you've seen more beyond that? Are you admitting the game has far more variation?

• I haven't played No Man's Sky. I've only watched a few gameplay videos and some impressions from people I trust (the Easy Allies review being the latest). I honestly never had any crazy expectations for the game. It seems to be pretty much what I thought it would be. That's certainly going to underwhelm a lot of people. Getting delayed numerous times and having such vague marketing did not help the game at all. People were bound to fill in the blanks with their ideal interpretations of what they thought the game would be. It's certainly an interesting case study on marketing as well as many other facets of the gaming industry right now. Personally, I'm probably going to pick it up half a year from now when it's been patched to hell and the price comes down a bit.

There are people claiming this game is an overhyped piece of hot garbage and others claiming it's an incredible experience that people just don't understand. The truth rarely falls on such extremes. I think the game has a lot going for it and a lot that could be improved. How much sway the positives and negatives have will greatly vary from person to person.

On one hand, I definitely feel bad for Hello Games. Their game was handled in such a way that it could never "win". It was always going to disappoint. It was only a matter of how furious the backlash would be. On the other hand... Sean Murray definitely lied about the multiplayer aspects of the game. He clearly said "yes" when asked if you could play with your friends. He maintained up to release that it was possible to encounter other players but that it would be so rare it likely wouldn't happen. This simply isn't the case. The game does not upload any player data beyond your discoveries and other small things making it impossible to encounter other players.

This shouldn't be overlooked or written off easily. Yes, things change over the course of game development. Features get dropped. But to maintain the notion that it's possible to do something when it absolutely is not... that's not ok. I may have had managed expectations for this game... but I couldn't help but think to myself, "wow, if everyone is heading to the center of the galaxy, I bet you'll encounter more and more people as you get closer and closer to the center!". It's a perfectly reasonable assumption based on everything Sean has said about the game. Now we know it was all bullshit.

Anyway, I won't harp on Sean or No Man's Sky anymore. Just wanted to get that off my chest. I'm still pretty excited to get my hands on the game, especially when they patch in base building and other new features. I think it might be interesting to list off some things they could add to make the game a more robust experience...

• Add on-foot traversal upgrades. Let us craft jump packs that let us leap miles across the surface of a planet. Mining resources would be a lot more enjoyable with a greater variety of traversal mechanics. It could change the entire feeling of the game for the better and give you more things to do with all those gathered resources.

• Add random encounters. I don't know how feasible this is but the game desperately needs this. Take inspiration from the random encounters in games like GTA V, The Witcher 3, etc. You don't need to turn every planet into a generic open world game... but the idea that we might encounter a fight between two enemy factions or a small creature getting attacked by a pack of predators... would make exploring a lot more fulfilling.

• Let the player join factions. Have a scientific group that rewards players for discovering planets and creatures. A pirate group that rewards players for attacking NPCs and stealing from outposts and ships. A military group that rewards you for stopping pirates from destroying ecosystems and robbing other NPCs. That's just off the top of my head but anything would work. This would give the player a sense of progression and purpose.

• Online play. Doesn't matter if it's lobbies like Minecraft or instances like Destiny. This game desperately needs multiplayer. Trading, space combat, building settlements, Etc. My other suggestions would only be amplified by the addition of online play.

• @Light Couple of things. There already are on-foot upgrades. I've upgraded my sprint (thankfully!) and gotten a jet pack that really lets me fly all over. I like the random encounters and factions ideas, the faction idea moreso since there are already several alien races. Joining up with one just makes sense. Multiplayer... so Sean has said he believes server load is the reason why those two players couldn't see each other on day one. Whether or not this is true, I'm not sure, but I honestly don't view him as the lying type (don't make me regret those words Murray!). He even tweeted this on the first day - "We added a 'scan for other players' in the Galactic Map to try to encourage this happening. We wanted it to happen - but the first day?"... so I really don't think his intention was to lie about the multiplayer systems, I just don't think they're working properly. Think of a lot of multiplayer games that have server issues when they first launch - they didn't lie to us, they just have some issues they need to sort out. I may be in the minority here, but I really want minimal online interactions. I don't want to suddenly come across a player controlled fleet that blows me up constantly in space. Maybe encountering one person (or the wake of their destruction) would be interesting, but that's all I want. Anything else changes this game into something entirely different and I shudder to think of what the game would be like if they tried to make it more like Minecraft or Destiny. I like it for what it is without having to compare it to what other franchises are doing.

It's just a divisive game, I think we all knew that going into it. Sean Murray definitely knew and kept warning this game wasn't for everyone. Even the Allies themselves are mixed, with Ben's review score being average whereas Jones and Ian are loving every second. Honestly, I'm happy when games like this come out because of how much conversation it stirs up, I could just do without the hyperbole on both sides though(best/worst game ever). Luckily, that's missing here but the rest of the internet? Sheesh....