No Man's Sky (PC/PS4/XBO)

• @Light Depends on what alien encounters. If you're just talking to the one on the obrital trade station over and over again, they won't differ too much.

I find the more interesting ones in the random shelter or outpost. I haven't ran into any repetition in one of those yet. I met a Gek who I only understood a few key words that I'm paraphrasing, "sleep" "do my work". I had the option of reporting its sleepy ass to the Gek authorities, which I did. Now the lazy alien is getting fired! It was a brief hilarious situation.

I think words are great. They are a great incentive to learn more about the race and the lore. The way they talk and what they talk about is very telling about their culture, and I find it interesting. Even more so is that the Monoliths reveal a lot about their culture too, so going around and finding out more about what happen to their history is great. I just wish there was an easier way to get Atlas words because I go to those stations and can't understand a thing. Atlas word monoliths are too rare.

• @Whoaness Well that's the kind of stuff I'm interested in. Hopefully there are a lot of those types of encounters in the game. I guess it would seem monotonous if you only came across those station NPCs and hardly ever find the kind you're talking about. Could come down to luck at that point.

• @Whoaness is your ship fully upgraded? is that the maximum number of slots you can have?

• @runner609 Yep, those are the maximum. 48 for ship and suit. 24 for multitool.

• I'm taking a bit of a break from the game. I was farming emeril on a planet, but now, every time I try to leave in my ship to go sell it, the game crashes on me. I'll wait for another patch to come back, otherwise I'm just gonna keep getting frustrated.

• @Light

1. Adding vehicles isn't going to make the game less monotonous when the two best forms of transportation are already available to you.
    2. Again, the aliens ask different things, it's just a 3 answer dialogue tree. You end up having to guess because you can't understand the question. Uncovering the language helps by taking the guess work out of the question and you start making decisions rather than guesses.

• I feel sad that there is so big gap between people who are disappointed and those who love the game. The predictions were right in how the expectations will kill this game. Even for Ben, who reviewed it.

• Guys, check out this awesome video of Brandon being right. #Told

Youtube Video

• @Paper-Lion Uh Brandon really loves the game, so don't get your point.

• @Whoaness coool.. did you save units and buy a big ship? or repaired abandoned ones?

• @Whoaness said in No Man's Sky - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

@Paper-Lion Uh Brandon really loves the game, so don't get your point.

The point is to question things and not board the hype train making up your own fantasies about what the game is going to be. If more people had done that, they wouldn't have been so disappointed with the end result.

• @runner609 I saved up for a 30 slot ship, from there, I found wrecked ships. Each wrecked ship has a chance of giving you 1 more slot based on your current ship, so I just keep finding them until it was 48.

@Paper-Lion People would hate it regardless if they made up fantasies about it.

• @runner609

Saving up offers the best results cuz aliens looking to sell their ships are common. Salvaging is random based on the average ship size of the system. You need to be in a high level system to salvage large ships.

• I have an issue with reviewing a video game on price, solely because video games are luxury products, and thus wholly aesthetic. You don't need video games. Whether you're getting "value" for money is an important concern in every day utilities and conveniences, like, say, a dishwasher, or a car.

But one doesn't say a Monet is overpriced solely because you don't need to buy a Monet. Likewise, I don't need to buy a video game every month. I could never buy another video game again, and I wouldn't be being denied something fundamental - I'd merely be denied a greater appreciation of an art form I admire.

I have a problem, in general, with the whole idea of price delineating a "triple A" game, and thus pushing some sort of expectation of quality on a game. What this results in is indie games which either have a decade-long development cycle, or are inherently shallow gameplay loops (think Nidhogg), or are small, compact, very focused experiences. Meanwhile, the "triple A" games rack up massive budgets to get the graphics and sound design and voice actors and story writing and depth that will earn that stamp of triple-A status, and then they'll neuter all these things in hopes of hitting the widest audience to recoup the budget. Hence, the new Tomb Raider being a "flop" despite selling insanely well. Of course, these are generalizations, but not many games stray far from this dichotomy. Even Undertale took forever and a day for its 1-man team to put it together, but because we weren't aware of it til it happened, it seems like this wonderful, organic experience and an indie darling which we want all indie games to be.

So then, a game like NMS, which is simultaneously really ambitious but also really niche, is left out in the cold. Either it limits its scope entirely to be a true indie game they publish on their own, or they do what they did, get backing from Sony to push the limits of what they could do.........and then be limited by release schedule and quarterly expectations and marketing costs.

An indie game should be able to be 60 dollars, and be experimental, and push limits (and thus probably have the flaws we don't see in most triple A games). And it should be judged based on what it did, what it's trying to do, and where it's trying to go. Price should have no impact on reviews at all.

• Guys, check out this video (some of Allies are also in it :D)

Youtube Video

• one thing is very clear to me, they were extremely disingenuous with the way the marketed this game, and that is something that I can't ignore.

• While I generally agree with the idea of criticizing a game for what it is and not what it's not, I think there's a certain level of exception to that, call it the Peter Molyneux law or something but I think there's some level of validity to complaining about it not being what you were lead to believe it would be.

@Paper-Lion Uh Brandon really loves the game, so don't get your point.

Maybe one of the reasons Brandon likes it so much is because he didnt buy into that stuff?

• @Sieghardt What is there to buy into? Other that, arguably, the multiplayer where it was stated that no one would see each other, Sean Murray literally didn't tell us any details.

Brandon was mad at NMS that E3 because they weren't telling us anything or they were just telling us the same thing from the previous E3, which was just a high level concept tease. I disagree with people who say they want the details. I went in knowing as little as possible and it added to the experience.

• Hopefully that patch today will make it so I don't crash on my ps4 anymore...hopefully...You can't make money for a new ship when your game is crashing every 15 minutes.

• Patch note: Things were going nicely. They almost had me thinking they'd fixed the crashing problems. Then I go to save and quit, and....it crashes...oh well.