No Man's Sky (PC/PS4/XBO)

• @Whoaness Relative to other games I play, I've put a lot of hours into No Man's Sky. It's easy to kill 2hrs straight playing that game. But it's not a very rewarding experience for me. And I've been playing it less because of that.

I used to see a structure of some kind and get excited. Now I don't care. The combat is flat and doesn't require any skill. I don't get any joy out of combat encounters. We trade hits and I usually outlast them. There's no way to dodge, deflect, and there's not much cover. Same with dogfights. There's no skillful evasive maneuvers. Just trade hits, repair your shield, reload until the other one's dead. Aggressive animals just rush you til you kill them. I'm not expecting COD level of scripted interactions and set pieces but I don't get any sense of excitement or challenge from a fight.

Ben did say something along the lines that going deeper into the game detracted from his earlier experiences. I can easily grind for hours but that's the nature of grinding. Time goes by fast, but it's not very rewarding. Sure I get currency for my efforts, but then what? More inventory? For what? More loot?

I don't think it's fair to say so definitely that figuring out a game system makes it fun. For me and others, it makes me realize the game is more shallow than I originally expected. The repetitive number puzzle is a joke ex, 7312-3127-1273-****. That's great for the first go around. But to repeat that puzzle pattern feels offensive to my intelligence.

I bought this game at launch. Like Huber said it's a nice relaxing Sunday afternoon game. I think there's a good foundation here. And I hope they can build something to make it more interesting to a broader audience. My dream random encounter is that there's a bounty for some wanted criminal, dead or alive. You can hunt them down, picking up their trail and tracking them planet to planet, maybe system to system. Finally pinning them down at their procedurally generated hideout, filled with goons, traps, etc.

• @matt Well first, it's not a combat game. It's not a shooter or a space sim. Combat is there to serve the purpose of diminishing your resources. It's not meant to be hard as the game is about exploration. Combat is not supposed to serve as a detractor and prevent the player from going out to explore. It's a much more casual focused game.

Second, the future does not affect the past. That's just not possible. Whatever you heard Ben say is something else. And, yes, maxing out more inventory, making more upgrades, getting more loot is very rewarding.

Again, just like combat, don't expect such a system to be so complicated that it'll take you ten minutes to figure out. It's meant to be fairly easy, still requiring high level grade school math to discern patterns, but it's not something that you can figure out instantly in less than a second. I could take this example and apply it to Persona 4. Shadows have certain elemental weakness. You figure out the right order and the right targets to get to an all-out attack. The same enemies and formations appear again and again. Does that insult your intelligence? For myself, I find these simple puzzles to be a small reward.

Sigh... well here we go again. You're putting your fantasies into the expectations of this game. I don't know what kind of game you thought this was, but it certainly won't be a bounty hunting space combat game. I hope you realize that whatever you're thinking will never be in the game and was never said to be in the game.

• @Whoaness said in No Man's Sky - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

@matt Well first, it's not a combat game. It's not a shooter or a space sim. Combat is there to serve the purpose of diminishing your resources. It's not meant to be hard as the game is about exploration. Combat is not supposed to serve as a detractor and prevent the player from going out to explore. It's a much more casual focused game. I didn't say it's a combat game. But the game has combat and I don't think this aspect of the game is fun. I didn't question its purpose. I understand its purpose.

Second, the future does not affect the past. That's just not possible. Whatever you heard Ben say is something else. And, yes, maxing out more inventory, making more upgrades, getting more loot is very rewarding. To you and others. Not to me and others.

Again, just like combat, don't expect such a system to be so complicated that it'll take you ten minutes to figure out. It's meant to be fairly easy, still requiring high level grade school math to discern patterns, but it's not something that you can figure out instantly in less than a second. I could take this example and apply it to Persona 4. Shadows have certain elemental weakness. You figure out the right order and the right targets to get to an all-out attack. The same enemies and formations appear again and again. Does that insult your intelligence? For myself, I find these simple puzzles to be a small reward. I haven't played Persona. I didn't have any expectations for the puzzles in this game. I didn't expect it to have any puzzles. My takeaway from my time with the game is that there is one puzzle that exists in this universe.

Sigh... well here we go again. You're putting your fantasies into the expectations of this game. I don't know what kind of game you thought this was, but it certainly won't be a bounty hunting space combat game. I hope you realize that whatever you're thinking will never be in the game and was never said to be in the game. Yes. Sigh. I think you're exaggerating a bit too much considering you don't know me at all. I simply suggested a new type of random encounter for the game. Do I think the game would be more fun for me if it was done? Yes. Do I expect/demand them to put it in the game? No, maybe, I don't know. No one knows, including you. I hope you realize this game is far from perfect. It has flaws. You don't have to take it personally when someone doesn't like something that you do.

I don't know why you feel the need to defend this game to the death. But I'll bite. To be fair, I've made my pre-order purchase contribution to Hello Games and have the right to have an opinion on the game. I applaud their efforts. I hope for them to continue as a studio and progress in creating cooler and better things.

I like their game, but I don't recommend it when asked about it.

• @Whoaness Just for clarity, what @Lexad was referring to was Ian's comments on the most recent EZA Podcast (August 24th). His opinion of the game has changed more closely to Ben's due to the "ending" or lack thereof. I personally haven't made it to the center so I don't know how that could change things that much, but I will admit Sean and Friends did hype up the center and I've heard nothing but negatives about it. Definitely a shame.

• @matt I didn't recommend the game if you look at my advice to ChaosBahamut. If the game isn't exactly what you want, then the high $60 asking price is not worth it. To the general audience, I would say this should be $20 because it doesn't contain enough for them. It's not a GTA of space explorations, and it was never meant to be.

I defend this game because people are lying about what Sean Murray said and use their made-up lies to slander him and his hard work. It's okay to think it would be cool that there is a bounty hunter mode, but to say the game sucks because Sean Murray promised X feature and Y feature is what a lot of people are doing. If you watched the first E3 trailer, you should have known that the space combat wasn't going to be hardcore.

Actually, looking back at that space combat comment, and having played years of Tie Fighter and Wing Commander games, those comments would even apply to a space sim. There is no cover in space, no dog fighting like in the movies, only tanking damage. Only different is that No Man's Sky elects not to have a space sims system of port, aft, starboard, stern shielding where tanking damage in space sims is just about rotating your ship away form the enemy so that shields get the chance to recharge.

@SabotageTheTruth @Lexad Oh yeah my bad. I didn't even know the podcast was out at that point. I just watched it and was going to make some edits, but forgot.

Well all I could say, without spoiling, is that it's Ian. He likes to change his opinion as he feels like it. Going from best game to worst game from watching a youtube video that neglects the journey isn't how you play a game. Neglecting the fun moments had with the game isn't very critical. Imagine of Obstruction just had a "congratulations" at the end and that was it (which is funny given that Myst was pretty much like that). I don't think that makes you forget the interesting puzzles you had when playing the game. Another example is that I really hate Mass Effect 3's ending, and I think it ruins the entire trilogy, but I wouldn't give the game a 6/10 when it had great combat, story moments, and characters.

I don't feel like getting to the centre was ever the objective of the game like how you would progress through a story to get to the ending. There is no story for getting to the centre, so there shouldn't be expectations that it's going to have an hour long MGS4 ending or something. Now for the actual ending itself for those who want to be spoiled:

The idea of the centre containing a portal to another galaxy is a fine idea. The end of the Atlas quest foreshadows the existence of multiple universes, and it has you go through a black hole, possibly for the first time if you were just doing the Atlas quest, and makes you realize the purpose of the black holes are portals to another part in space. Humanity has always wondered if there's anything beyond the black hole, and we know in the centre of our own galaxy contains a supermassive black hole. Even Interstellar ventures into the same conclusion talking about how the black hole is actually an infinite space-time universe that defies the laws of physics. Realistically, black holes should kill you, but to imagine that there is a possibility that a black hole contains more than just the end is exciting.
    Now, gameplay-wise, seeding another galaxy layout is thematic to what the game is about. Think about this as a new game plus, you're getting a fresh start at discovering more species and planets. No Man's Sky is all about discovering, and being thrown into a second galaxy is exciting for those who enjoy that aspect. I can understand people being disappointed because getting to the centre takes a lot of work, but a lot of people are skipping the point of the game (same as I did) and are just collecting warp cores to rush to the centre instead of exploring planets along the way. Rather than thinking the centre of the universe contains a playable version of Knack 2, I think this idea is more appropriate than anything else.
    A goal oriented person would find this "ending" disappointing, but I disagree with the comments about Sean Murray hyping it up. He always talks about the goal of the game as an afterthought. I've always heard him talk about discovering planets and species, and when objectives are brought up, he would say something like "Yeah we have something like that. It'll be something to direct the players through their journey." It never felt like he was making it sound exciting like I've seen EZA hype it up multiple times (Playable Knack being in the centre lol).

• @Whoaness

I just want to say that I have a huge amount of respect for how you've backed up your arguments and put real, actual effort into your posts in this thread. I have a very different approach to these sorts of debates and questions which is part of the reason I've not chimed in, but I felt it appropriate to say simply good on you for always taking on any counter argument with seriousness and aplomb.

• @Whoaness said in No Man's Sky - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

I don't feel like getting to the centre was ever the objective of the game like how you would progress through a story to get to the ending. There is no story for getting to the centre, so there shouldn't be expectations that it's going to have an hour long MGS4 ending or something. Now for the actual ending itself for those who want to be spoiled:

I haven't played the game and probably never will, so I read your spoiler, and I've got to say, after hearing so much about how bad the ending is, I think this is a relatively clever idea.

Like you said, for a goal-oriented person, it will be disappointing, but it totally fits with the spirit of the game, so the target audience (who never expected this game to deliver a story) will probably find it satisfying.

• @Whoaness I agree that sometimes the journey itself in a game can be the reward. Often conclusions to stories don't ever tend to meet our expectations. However in this case I disagree with you about NMS.

I haven't read this whole thread or what you discussed to thoroughly, but Jim sterling has a good video on the on whether or not Sean Murray should be considered a liar. Angry joes review I felt was spot on. For myself, I enjoyed the first few hours. After that I found enjoyment in some minor things until now where I don't even want to play it. Where I disagree with you is that there is no adventure in this game. You might have enjoyed aspects of mass effect until the ending but the sane doesn't apply here. You literally do the same thing over and over. Maybe exploring and discovering species would be exciting if they were actually unique and interesting to watch with their own unique Eco system. But unfortunately there's nothing interesting about mining the same rocks while seeing the same sites with the slightly different species. There's nothing unique or special ever happening. There isn't that moment that makes me feel like I just witnessed something amazing or funny that I want to share.

As for Ian's opinion change. It's completely valid. Lots of ppl feel the same way. I'm glad I spoiled the ending for myself. Saves me time. i wasted enough of it on the Atlas quest.

The conclusions to the game wouldn't matter so much if there was actual fun that lasted longer then the first moments of the game. But because the universe is so empty and full of repetition while lacking any possible surprises it completely makes the game pointless. Nothing is flushed out. Which is their mistake. If they had flushed out systems and mechanics then the ending would actually sound kind of cool, at least if it even add some extra variety.

This game should have been delayed 2 more years.

• @flower_arrangement @Axel Appreciated. Hope you find some insight in my post as I am always putting my best foot forward.

@CGamor7 The Mass Effect analogy totally applies. It's not about the one-to-one comparison of mechanics or gameplay, it's about how people really loved the game and series up until the Mass Effect 3 ending.

Ben said there was a point where he had so much fun with the game. He even streamed this moment. Ian said really likes the game on Frametrap. There was a point in the game where both of them enjoyed the game in some repsect, Ian longer than Ben, up until the part where they watched the youtube video of the ending or something. Seeing an ending doesn't mask the fact that you've actually enjoyed the game for the first few hours.

Also, I disagree with the comment about doing the same thing over and over for "a few hours". I was still discovering new mechanics, new features, getting upgrades much longer than the 10 hour mark. I don't know what you've been doing, but a few hours isn't going to see everything that the game has to currently offer.

And it's funny how you talk about how the game should be delayed for 2 more years like you know what those 2 years actually means. The game's "ending" would not have changed at all, nor will it change in 2 years. It works for No Man's Sky.

• @Whoaness I said I had fun for the first few hours. After that I spent my time doing the Atlas path. Learning new mechanics after 10 hours is a stretch unless you spent 10 hours gathering resources on your first planet. its not that complex. You learn everything about the game really quickly.

If your not sure what 2 years could have done for the game then I have to assume you haven't paid much attention to what features were discussed being in the game. If you haven't already head over to angry joe and Jim sterling and watch their stuff. I don't care about the ending, but what 2 years could have no was flush that game out more. A lot more.

like I said before, I enjoyed a few hours of the game. Especially when I didn't know what was going on and every planet was a mystery to me. After that I started to enjoy only small moments. But all that quickly fades after you realize everything is the same. I would also love to hear from Sean himself on all the accusations against him.

so in the end what will you say about your experience with NMS? What things are you dying to share? Tell me about that amazing creature you found? The cool things it does to survive. The lost planet that held so many secrets. tell me a crazy story about that awesome alien you befriended at the trading post.

One of the most dissapointing. things for me I just thought of is that I would continue to check out operation bases and facilities for new tech. For the last 10 hours of the game I collected one piece of new tech. there is no sense of discovery after awhile with maybe the exception of languages which is so tedious I stopped caring.

• @CGamor7 Sorry, I don't support either Jim Sterling or Angry Joe, as in I'm not going to give them a website or video hit. You would have to give me the gist of it. The problem I have with what you said about "2 years" is that you specifically said 2 years. If you haven't developed games like I have, you won't know what 2 years of development means, and neither will Jim Sterling and Angry Joe. Please talk about what you think they should have added before releasing the game, and we can discuss on those items, but right now, the game is very much playable and has enough content to warrant a release. We're in the day and age where post-launch support is a thing, so keep in mind that the things you want with "2 years of development" could very well be coming.

I can tell you a quick summary of what's after my 10 hour experience. I spent 12am to 8am playing No Man's Sky on the first day, and I didn't even leave the first system. I was mostly engaged with learning words and getting to know the lore of the Korvax, learning crafting, unlocking tech, looking at various landmarks, understanding the basics of resources. The next day, I went into hyperspace to the next system towards Atlas, getting the hyperdrive recipe. At that point, I didn't even realize I could actually talk to aliens in their ship, which opens up an avenue of understanding what I can use my money for. It's the ten hour mark, and what I did after is learn about space combat as pirates started to attack me, complete my knowledge of resources as I get most of the high-end recipes, understand how a lot of the upgrades work as I had more slots to play with, meet the vy'keen and learn they're great for multitool upgrading, meet the vex, learn more about both races' lore. There was plenty of things to learn past the 10 hour mark.

I didn't even know I could attack the big ships and steal resources from them until around the 40 hour mark, and past the 60 hour mark while I was trying to get a 48 slot ship, I figured out how the mechanic behind ship upgrading works so I didn't have to buy one for an absurd amount of money. After I got my 48 slot ship, I upgraded the hell out of it, took on 25 space pirates at once to protect a freighter, and finished the Atlas path. I was still learning the systems of the game past 60 hours, and that is remarkable.

Keep in mind that I had not watched any interviews or spoiled myself on any mechanics. I never watched any youtube videos on how to do anything except for looking up what the Atlas stones were used for. I explored and discovered all these mechanics myself, which will definitely make my experience longer than someone who reads a guide. My favourite thing in the game is no doubt the lore of the alien races. Learning about conflicts between the sentinels and the Vy'keen and Vex, learning about the Korvax and the Atlas, it was all motivational for me to keep finding the words and keep searching monoliths. The only problem I have was the lack of Atlas word monoliths. I couldn't understand a single thing the Atlas said when I was doing the Atlas path.

The most engaging thing I had ever done in the game was the most hardcore survival situation I think anyone could have in the game. I've written it in a post above. I'll post it again here.

Let me share one of my best moments I had in No Man's Sky. I land on a moon in search of completing the zoology milestone. The planet's whether reads as arid, but that doesn't describe what it actually is. The temperature goes from 100 degrees celsius in the day, with heat storms raging every few minutes, and at night, the temperature drops to -80. The sentinels are hostile. They will shoot on sight. I was determined to find and scan all the creatures on this planet, so I set off on foot. Little did I realize how insane the whether was, and immediately realize that it was going to kill me quickly. I find the nearest cave to get out of the storm and to look at my gear. I craft additional heat and cold protection as insurance so I can safely get to one shelter from another.

Then I realize another problem. With hostile sentinels, and resources I mine will alert them to my position in the caverns. A couple of sentinels come after me, and I didn't have the best tool to deal with them as this was my first hostile sentinel planet. I dispatch one of them, but the other is out of sight, alerting other sentinels to come. I quickly craft additional firepower into my multi-tool because I was going to need it to take them down before they alert even more. I managed to fend off the next wave of sentinels and preventing from alerting any more, but I quickly realized that all the crafting has drained my resources and my ship is far away.

I couldn't risk alerting more sentinels, nor could I afford to use more resources killing them. The only resources I could rely on without alerting sentinels are the flower resources, the Thaumium9 and Zinc flowers. I set out for the next marker as the storm passes, but I still had to deal with the temperature. I needed isotopes for my multi-tool, and I needed oxide for my environmental shields. I had to constantly scan, make detours to pick up all the little resources I could before the storm came again. Killing only what I needed to, being careful with my resources, surviving on this hostile world, I managed to find all the species and get my reward. It was the most intense 2 hours I had with No Man's Sky.

Maybe I was lucky, or unlucky, that I found this planet. Not all extreme whether planets have hostile sentinels, and not all hostile sentinel worlds have extreme whether, but I cannot look at anyone straight when they say the gameplay in No Man's Sky is lacking. The gameplay systems are there and working, and I had a blast with the gameplay.

• Out of curiosity how come you don't support Jim sterling and angry joe? Sterling gets no ad revenue from clicks. Only from his patreon. I under stand avoiding angry joe as he can be annoying lol, but sterling, as much as I find his humour a bit over the top at times he's probably one of the best critics in the industry.

Im not going to discuss Jim and joe to much because honestly they cover way to much to well and I'm typing on a iPhone. If you want to understand the fundamental problem ppl have then you really should give a few of those videos a try. From what I hear there's actually tons out there from other critics as well.

The narrative you built to explain the game is great. Anyone reading it would probably get excited to play. However angry joe starts his review the same way. With an awesome narrative of his experience. If you stop there the game sounds awesome, it's only when you dispel the illusion that you realize that cool sounding narrative you write is all that you have. But honestly, I can't tell you or anyone else about your experience of a game. I'm not a hater on this game. I even commented early on when I just started that I was enjoying it. But like angry joe, what the illusion of depth was gone I stopped having fun. Unlike you, I actually never upgraded my suite, the wether was never difficult enough to handle. Much could be said about the entire game in my experience. I felt zero need to upgrade anything but my warp drive. I guess one thing I realized reading your post is we all play differently. For some they were able to achieve in only a few hours what took ppl 3 timer longer. Not because of how good or bad someone might be but of how different ppl play. I saw a review or comment awhile back that said it perfectly. someone had said imagination should be added to minimum requirements.

Again I want to state that the game needs to be flushed out more. It has a great foundation. theres no need to focus to much on the 2 years of extra time is needed. Honestly, I don't know how long it would need. 1 year? 3? The point is, it needs it.

as for a quick statement on the rest of angry joe and Jim sterling. The cover the real issue of all that hello games, more specificall Sean Murray discussed about what features would be in the game. If you saw zero footage and discussion on this game leading up to launch then yeah I can see the difference in opinion.

I've been typing away with my thumb now for far to long I've lost my train of thought lol. I don't have much to say about this game anymore. It's all covered by ppl who write better than me. It's literally all over the Internet. I tend to agree with most of the well thought out arguments. For you being in game dev, I'm not sure what that means to this discussion. Game dev is so broad rhat it tells no one of your experience or knowledge in any given area. Even then it doesn't necessarily make you better informed on game play mechanics. Especially if that's not an area you handle often in the design process. if you told me you were a game play designer on several games and explained to me the design choices in this game and why it works then it would add to the conversation.

On a side note, after reading through my comment it reads as if I upgraded nothing and that would just be silly. I upgraded my inventory slots! So needed lol and my jet pack and running. My ship needed nothing but warp drive and extra slots. The rest of the uogrades are flashy and cool but not needed in my opinion. I survived harsh climates with ass hole sentinels fine without it. I will say I'm not close to the centre, where maybe things get more chaotic with higher wanted levels, but from what I hear it's not much more of a challenge. The gameplay only stays fun for me when your still learning the game. The design falls apart once your past that point, but again ppl have covered it in many articles and videos. I don't see NMS from the difficulty to how you manage trade and inventory as good design. If so so many ppl wouldn't be complaing about it.

• @CGamor7 I don't like that they built their reputations catering to people's anger. I consider their types to be sensationalist journalism where they write and talk in a way to appeal to emotions even if untrue. It's especially concerning when Jim Sterling had his No Man's Sky out in a day after the 1.03 patch which pretty much tells me that he was one of those scumbags who broke release date and reviewed without the day 1 patch. There are better ways to get your message across, but we're in the world where personality counts more than truth, so they act like outraged monkeys, looking like they're fighting for consumers, because people enjoy it. And you definitely give Jimquisition hits by watching their video. Including the other comments further below, I've seen some of Sean Murray's interviews after playing the game to mount my defense against all the unjustly haters. Quite frankly, people on reddit, posting videos and saying this and that are missing, they are all just lying. Just like the above posters, I looked at those videos, I saw what Sean Murray said, and what he said was nothing about what the haters thinks he promised. He didn't promise any of that, with the exception of multiplayer which I choose to believe it's just not working atm because Sean Murray tweeted out there are server load issues, so I'll hold judgement on that.

If there was any illusions to dispel, like when Ian and Ben mentioned about figuring out the system, I had done that pretty early, like seeing the same procedural generated buildings and some animals looking the same, but I was still finding weird things and finding out more mechanics in my playthrough, so I was interested to keep going. Even if you think you've seen all the animals, you'll be surprised and blown away by something you haven't seen before, like 50+ in, I had never see a micro-creature before. I was scanning and saw red dots all over, but I though I wasn't seeing anything. I thought it was a bug until I went in closer and saw tiny butterfly looking things just floating around. I thought I had seen it all and they just dropped an entirely new creature size on me.

Fleshed out, not flushed, is the term being used. Saying they need to flesh out the game isn't meaningful. You can't put an amount of work on a general statement. What needs to be improved? Like I said, the game has enough to release. If it didn't, it wouldn't have been a top game on Twitch for more than a week or getting anything but a fail on Metacritic. They delivered everything we saw on the first trailer, and that's what matters.

About your upgrades, I find it strange that both you and Ben have the same criticism that you just recharge your ship shields when you get attacked, but when you get to the point where 5 pirate ships attack you at once, that's not going to hold up. You will eventually need to upgrade when you get further away from your start, but you haven't gotten there. You'll feel really good when you have that full upgrade. You can actually take down those huge freighters, and the sentinel can even send in a warship after you. I also mentioned I fought off 25 pirates from attacking a freighter, and I couldn't do that without all my ship upgrades.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in No Man's Sky - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

@Whoaness Just for clarity, what @Lexad was referring to was Ian's comments on the most recent EZA Podcast (August 24th). His opinion of the game has changed more closely to Ben's due to the "ending" or lack thereof. I personally haven't made it to the center so I don't know how that could change things that much, but I will admit Sean and Friends did hype up the center and I've heard nothing but negatives about it. Definitely a shame.

thanks for the clarification. I didn't do that so it probably didn't help. Yeah, Ian was not hyped on that ending at all

• @Light said in No Man's Sky - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

http://www.geek.com/games/no-mans-sky-wipes-your-discoveries-after-two-weeks-1668222/

alt text

Hard to say it is surprising at this point, this really makes me think about an article I saw about how the marketing campaign could be seen as a fraud, and legal action could be taken.

• Pay no attention to dumb articles citing whatever sensationalist garbage that they can to get hits.

They were citing this ONE reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4zlqpw/went_back_to_my_starting_planet_and_every/

And the user rescinded their statement saying it was a mistake.

• Well it's good to see that wasn't a another big technical error from the game at the very least, but it could still be argued that it is a considerable problem.

• Or you could just apply that gif to the fact that you can't fly into the sun nor from one solar system to another because it's just a big sky box. The opposite of what Sean claimed. But never mind. That's slander.

• I'd still like to grab No Man's Sky and give it a try so I'm glad to see they're still adding stuff to it.

I feel like they've already totally lost their audience and the trust of most gamers though. I think it'll be really tough to reclaim that given how many new games are releasing in the coming months.