No Man's Sky (PC/PS4/XBO)

• Global Moderator

I was debating when to bump this thread as there has been an ARG called Waking Titan going for NMS for a few months now. You can find plenty of information about that on this neogaf thread if you'd like.

However the reason I'm posting is because the ARG has ended and patch 1.3 will be released this week.

Atlas Rises - 1.3 Update

alt text

I bought NMS a few weeks ago in the EU PSN sale and was waiting for this so I'm looking forward to reading the full patch notes and finally checking the game out (If I've time... so many games right now)

• Global Moderator

No Man's Sky - 1.3 Atlas Rises Patch Notes
    Youtube Video

There is a tonne in the Patch Notes but some of the big things from what I can see

• New Story content (they mention 30 hours worth)
    • Joint Exploration - Visualised by strange floating orbs, up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
    • Ancient portals can now be activated. Revisit previous planets, others bases or jump randomly to new worlds.
    • Procedurally generated quests - Missions are constantly generated, and cater to all play styles (scanning, trading, combat and exploration).
    • Added low flight mode
    • A regenerated system adds wealth, economy and conflict levels to star systems.
    • Transform the ground beneath your feet using the new terrain editing Multi-Tool enhancement.
    • Discover and scavenge lost cargo from gigantic crashed Freighters on planetary surfaces.
    • Space combat control and AI improvements
    • Playstation 4 players can now adjust their field of view via the options menu.

Update appears to be going live today.

Pretty obvious that I'm looking forward to trying. I'll admit though that I'm disappointed in the route they're going with on multiplayer but I'm not surprised. Everyone seemed to be annoyed that they couldn't party up and explore with friends.

For me, the approach mentioned before launch seemed a lot more interesting and special. More akin to Journey, where by some chance you bump into a randomer. That could have been amazing I think.

• Looks like a pretty good update. I tried the game a while back but couldn't seem to get into it. Mind you this was before any of the major updates.
    Will definitely give this another spin now.

• Global Moderator

It looks like the update is live on PS4 and steam now.

Probably be a while before I get to start the game but I'll give some impressions as a fresh starter to the whole thing when I do.

• I really liked vanilla, though I never "finished " the game which seemed to be the part where a lot of people fell off. I'm prob gonna jump back into it next week, since I haven't even seen the base building stuff yet!

• I really must play this game again. Last time I played it was a couple of months after launch, and I liked it, even though I grew tired of it pretty quickly. It feels so much deeper and richer now. Really should fire it up again, but since I have the Switch my PS4 has been collecting dust a bit.

• @tokeeffe9 I'd be interested to hear what you think. I haven't played yet but I'm still thinking about giving it a try one of these days

• Global Moderator

@Faaip For sure, I'll give as much impressions once I get my hands on it. Between my backlog and games in August, I reckon I won't get around to it properly until September but we'll see.

• @tokeeffe9 I'm in the same situation now.. who knows when I'll get to it with everything that's coming out and everything I haven't played yet

• Jumping back in tonight, to see what's new in Gnome Anne's Sky.
    I'm in-between games right now so it's a good time to put some time into this.

• Global Moderator

For anyone interested.
    NEXT Patch Notes

and since it's been a while, the trailer

Youtube Video

• alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• Global Moderator

Nice pics. I put about 30 minutes to an hour last night on my old save from around this time last year. It's all very cool so far although I'm seriously struggling to get my barings on markers and things. Also finding that the performance the on PS4 Pro is very inconsistent. Seem to be getting a lot of dips and I'm not sure if that's due to my old save or it's the standard until they fix it so far. I don't really want to start again as it's 10 hours worth.

Edit: Also, update to the title, on Xbox now too :D

• I started fresh. Not sure if I'm having the same issues or not, NMS doesn't seem to be particularly smooth looking to me, but I'm not even on a pro.

• Global Moderator

@tokyoslim Ya, I think it still needs some patching as it chugs a bit here and there and it literally just crashed on me there.

Anyway after putting in another hour or 2, I've at least readjusted myself with the UI and how the game works. So again, I'm enjoying just going around the place and finding new stuff. I actually got into a few space fights too which I enjoyed and have taken control of a freighter so a lot of stuff is being throw at me.

I'm definitely going to continue putting time into it but I do still feel like the main game is a lot of just mining to get better stuff to mine with so I can get further in to mine more stuff. So I think I'd probably prefer to just play the playground mode but my gaming background just makes me want to play through the campaigns.

Speaking of, I haven't done much of the main campaign but am going through the Atlas rises stuff I believe. Enjoying the beats of that so far and it's the reason I got the freighter.

Anyone have any main tips for getting more units? I really need to repair a few things with my ship but it's all so expensive.

• Global Moderator

This has been in my mix of games I play for a bit here and there and finally I've kinda hit the jackpot. I was able to buy these upgrades for my scanner which added a significant value to anything I scanned. So I forget what I was getting before but now when I scan flora, I get like 25k units and when I scan an animal I get anywhere between 100-200k so I'm actually making units now and able to repair my ship.

On top of that I've do still really love just going to a planet and checking it out. A lot of the ones I've been on are barren but then I'll see a very similar one to earth with rings and there are loads of trees and ocean and it just gives me such good vibes.

Performance and glitches are still and issue but I'll definitely continue to play it here and there. I'm not even doing the main quest, just continuing progress on the atlas quest they added.

• @tokyoslim I started fresh as well. Ended up on an uber toxic planet, which made my first hour quite... challenging, haha.

• @klinjon yeah, mine was high heat with toxic caves, I think. Fun combo. Lol

• @tokyoslim bahahahaha that's ridiculous! I was also surrounded by toxic caves. That game can be BRUTAL.

• Global Moderator

Seasonal update that's come a lot sooner than I expected.

I still mess around with the game here and there and my thoughts are still pretty similar really. A lot of the mining to keep going blocks off the stuff I really like in just travelling between planets.
    That said one cool thing did happen where I was thrown into a multiplayer server and was helping with community events. It was a totally different feel to how I was previously playing the game.

And as always, it is very cool to see the game still going.