No Man's Sky (PC/PS4/XBO)

• I won't pick this up immediately, maybe give it a week or so and see some reviews. I usually don't worry about reviews since I usually know what I am getting into, but this game I am just not sure.

I really hope it is good though! I love the idea of a small scrappy team doing what they have done. It is impressive regardless of how the game turns out. And Sean Murray is adorable when he is on stage.

• @SabotageTheTruth said:

This has got to be one of the most ambitious gaming projects I've seen in awhile and I've finally let the hype take my body over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_procedural_generation

Nothing new. Nothing special. Small dev team. Keep your expectations in check.

It doesn't matter how many planets there are when it's the same handful of content being tweaked and repurposed over and over. This is no different than Borderlands bragging about whatever crazy number of weapons they claim to have. When you only have a couple of bases that everything is tweaked off of, everything quickly begins to feel the same. You run into basically the same content over and over. It's only good for how long it lasts until you start seeing repeat content and get bored of it. Don't fall for the marketing. The game might be fun. It might be a really fun week if done right, but there's been some truly amazing video game projects over the years that completely put No Man's Sky to shame.

I'd be excited about No Man's Sky if the devs were a larger team and dug in and committed to keep developing new content for it in the long run, like if everyone started in the middle of the universe, but every week a new ring was added around what currently exists with everything brand new thrown into the mix, both approved community content and professional content from the devs themselves. This would keep a game like this fresh if the community took off. As it stands, this game is releasing with a finite amount of content, and the main goal is simply to reach the center of the universe first. Only the most dedicated and crafty players will accomplish this, and they will most likely be bored of the game before they even reach it.

• @Mbun It's got the Superformula though!.. which to be honest, flies right over my head. I will say one thing, just comparing it to something truly randomized (like Borderlands loot system) absolutely would make for a dull game, but from my understanding, the "randomization" has a lot more thought put behind it. For instance, a certain plant on a planet will change the atmospheric conditions, so that may alter the look and feel of everything around it, as opposed to planet 23497843 has plant 2895873 and animal 184728.

Strange to see a lot of people trying to tear down the hype for this game, considering a lot of the community thrives and exists on the hype factor. As I mentioned, it probably will be disappointing, but for these next few weeks, I want to take some time away from being cynical and let my mind fill with all the possibilities this game has to offer. I'll let it crush my spirits when it's released.

• @SabotageTheTruth I don't want to tear down your hype for the game. I just want to help you keep said hype in check, so when you finally have your hands on the game you're not hugely disappointed due to a bunch of marketing teams trying to sell a little indie title as though it's something more. The game looks fun. The first Fable was also fun. People got angry at that because they were overhyped for it though. "10 years in development." Even though the people marketing No Man's Sky are entirely at fault for overhyping their game and deserve whatever backlash comes, you'll personally have a better time at launch if you set those expectations at a reasonable level now.

• @Mbun Honestly, I'm more worried about those Final Fantasy XV fans. I think they may have a rude awakening in September. Only time will tell though.

• @SabotageTheTruth
    alt text

FFXV wil be good....

I mean... I hope...

• @SabotageTheTruth @Inustar Noctis' dad—the guy with death flags all over him—is voiced by Sean Bean.

/wellplayed, Square Enix, haha.

• @Mbun said in 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

@SabotageTheTruth said:

This has got to be one of the most ambitious gaming projects I've seen in awhile and I've finally let the hype take my body over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_procedural_generation

Nothing new. Nothing special. Small dev team. Keep your expectations in check.

It doesn't matter how many planets there are when it's the same handful of content being tweaked and repurposed over and over. This is no different than Borderlands bragging about whatever crazy number of weapons they claim to have. When you only have a couple of bases that everything is tweaked off of, everything quickly begins to feel the same. You run into basically the same content over and over. It's only good for how long it lasts until you start seeing repeat content and get bored of it. Don't fall for the marketing. The game might be fun. It might be a really fun week if done right, but there's been some truly amazing video game projects over the years that completely put No Man's Sky to shame.

I'd be excited about No Man's Sky if the devs were a larger team and dug in and committed to keep developing new content for it in the long run, like if everyone started in the middle of the universe, but every week a new ring was added around what currently exists with everything brand new thrown into the mix, both approved community content and professional content from the devs themselves. This would keep a game like this fresh if the community took off. As it stands, this game is releasing with a finite amount of content, and the main goal is simply to reach the center of the universe first. Only the most dedicated and crafty players will accomplish this, and they will most likely be bored of the game before they even reach it.

Reaching the center of the universe is only there if you feel the need for a narrative focus. Otherwise you do what you do in other sandbox game games that have no story, like Minecraft, and create your own story through your adventures, exploring, pirating, or trading. And comparing Borderlands to NMS is false equivalency and highly disingenuous. Especially for a person who hasn't played the game and already spouts "this game is shameful compared to others". And as far Fable is concerned people were disappointed because hyped and promised features by Molyneux were cut. NMS hasn't hyped any thing, until this week's explore, fight and trade videos, but it's procedural nature and scale of the universe.

• I honestly have no interest in this game at all, but that's just because of my preference, and not really being interested in the type of game this is supposed to be.

However when I heard about the concept behind this, and what it is supposed to be, I couldn't help but call bs. Sure the universe may be really expansive and have a ridiculous amount of planets, how much variety and distinct content it will actually have though, that I find it very hard to believe that it will be what people actually expect.

In any case that is just the way I see it, I have no interest in the game and I'm not really concerned about whether it turns out to be good or not, but as it was mentioned before I would keep my expectations in check.

• @unholyrevenger72 I never said "this game is shameful compared to others". I said "there's been some truly amazing video game projects over the years that completely put No Man's Sky to shame". There's a major difference there. You can be upset at my efforts to keep the lot of you from being largely disappointed when this game releases, but please do not misquote me. The Borderlands comparison is completely fair, since the way they generate new creatures and such is pretty much the same thing. You can't say they're not trying to hype people up when they're bragging about stuff like this very topic, but instead of setting people up for realistic expectations, they're trying to sell as many copies as possible by going on late night talk shows and making everything sound better than it actually is. It's marketing. Don't fall for it. Game still looks cool, but it's not going to change the world with procedural generation. This is neither Rogue nor Minecraft. It's simply following in those games' footsteps.

• @Mbun

@Mbun said in 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

@unholyrevenger72 The Borderlands comparison is completely fair, since the way they generate new creatures and such is pretty much the same thing.

Not upset about you telling people to temper expectation. It's your ignorant statements that are upsetting. Like the one above, and other games putting it to shame. With out you never having played it or worked on it. And no there is no difference between what you said and how i quoted it. A game can only be put to shame if the game is absolutely dreadful in comparison to it's peers.

• @unholyrevenger72 That is untrue. Two games can both be 10, and one can still put the other to shame by comparison. I'm by no means saying No Man's Sky will be a 10 here however. Also, the No Man's Sky devs have put videos out explaining how their procedural generation works if you haven't seen them which is my assumption since you think I don't know how it works just because I haven't played it and didn't work on it personally.

Youtube Video

• I'm pretty much on media blackout for No Man's Sky. I really get afraid of the way people are talking this game up.

• I will never understand why this game specifically causes concern trolling to the degree it does.

• So this article right here poses some really interesting morality questions. I hadn't even considered if I'd be a decent human being while visiting these planets, nor what would happen if I just went into everything guns blazing.

• This post is deleted!

• @SabotageTheTruth That is pretty interesting.. I'm sure you'll have a mix of both types of people. But if the galaxy really is that huge, would it make a difference?

• @Faaip It could. If the game has legs, imagine playing it a year from now and discovering a set of war-torn planets, completely demolished by a selfish player. You could take up the quest to destroy this evil-doer. Or maybe you're a jerk and read about a peaceful civilization far away, and begin to plan a month long expedition to wipe them out. Oh, the possibilities.

• @bard91 said in 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

I honestly have no interest in this game at all, but that's just because of my preference, and not really being interested in the type of game this is supposed to be.

However when I heard about the concept behind this, and what it is supposed to be, I couldn't help but call bs. Sure the universe may be really expansive and have a ridiculous amount of planets, how much variety and distinct content it will actually have though, that I find it very hard to believe that it will be what people actually expect.

In any case that is just the way I see it, I have no interest in the game and I'm not really concerned about whether it turns out to be good or not, but as it was mentioned before I would keep my expectations in check.

This is my main worry with it as well. It just reminds me of games like Borderlans and their gazillion guns, some open world game with "300 hours of content" and so on. It's just quantity over quality at that point and lately I have gotten really burned out on this approach.