No Man's Sky (PC/PS4/XBO)

• @Lexad 10 PM here for me, which still isn't too bad. I'm headed over to Gamestop after work to pay off the game and make a terrible attempt at them letting me have it a few hours early. "Wow, I was reading news over the weekend how a lot of people got the game from stores that broke street date. Crazy, right? It's almost as if there's no repercussions for letting a game out a little early..."

• just preordered like an hour ago after reading the patch notes last night....now i just need to hold out till the 11th.

• @Lexad Cool, I'm glad that helped them get some positive PR before the release. I was never too hyped about the game, but I've always found it intriguing that the devs had the balls to make a game that they would never be able to play test in its entirety.

I was going to wait to see what others thought of it before buying. My backlog is obscene so I only buy new games if I really want to support game and the devs. I applaud their ambition and drive. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in No Man's Sky - 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 Planets:

@Lexad 10 PM here for me, which still isn't too bad. I'm headed over to Gamestop after work to pay off the game and make a terrible attempt at them letting me have it a few hours early. "Wow, I was reading news over the weekend how a lot of people got the game from stores that broke street date. Crazy, right? It's almost as if there's no repercussions for letting a game out a little early..."

Trust me I have tried. As a major corporation, they have a whole lot more to lose and the employees won't risk their jobs when they can be easily replaced.

I did go in once to pay off elder scrolls online and the dev let them release it at 6pm

• I have to be at work at 5am...It's gonna be the longest shift ever till I get off and can go home, and be a rocket man!

• Getting in the mood for space by watching Event Horizon and Serenity!

• So how many people do you think will start on some planet that they can only survive on for like 30 seconds? (due to climate, radiation, ect)

• So, I jumped in. A few thoughts after playing just long enough to blast off, die in space, and land on another planet.
    So, y'know... general SPOILERS.

• What an overwhelming start: The planet is painted a gaudy array of colors, Not-Glados keeps beeping in my ear every time my health / radiation resist / life support reaches a threshold, and the UI says only "disarray."
    • I still don't know what life support does.
    • Controls are kinda-really rough. It's hard to look around planet-side and really hard to get your bearings in your spaceship. Shocked if this doesn't come to VR.
    • Blowing up asteroids and mineral deposits is very fun. Evokes Minecraft.
    • Kinda exhausting to play this game. Some of the worst inventory management I've seen coupled with an arcane crafting system.
    • It'll be an interesting challenge to make memes out of a game with very few common threads.
    • I like the ambient rock soundtrack.

• @Haru17

There's a true way to mark spoilers, just put >! before what you type.

• But do you guys really consider those things listed above spoilers? I mean, they're just general observations. Interesting to read at this point.

• Those aren't spoilers, those are observations. I could literally run across a bunny rabbit and it would be a spoiler since no one will ever find that planet.

The only spoiler this game has is what is at the center.

• @Sentinel-Beach I agree, but I've seen people wanting to go in blind get upset over less, and he was obviously trying to denote spoilers. @Lexad There's a little story stuff on the way to the center I'd consider real spoilers too, but yeah most the "spoilers" shouldn't ruin your enjoyment of this game.

• That's why I just said "general spoilers" instead of doing a spoiler tag. I figure that, if you don't want to know this game is closet Minecraft in space, you won't venture forth into this thread on launch day.

Anyway, how's the universe treating y'all?

• I pre-ordered from Amazon yesterday. Looks like I'll be getting my copy tomorrow. I'm pretty busy but hopefully I'll find time to pop it in and get to explore for an hour. Hopefully the day one patch doesn't take too long.

Press looks to be slightly positive. I see there is some disappointment. Though a lot of it seems to stem from unrealistic expectations.

I am a bit concerned about the inventory/crafting system and survival elements of the game. Hopefully it doesn't take away from my chill exploring agenda B)

• Been watching some live streams and stuff.. looks like a lot of fun and I love the sense of discovery (especially the ruins and alien stuff)

It sounds like most of the initial complaints about inventory and gameplay can be updated or patched later on. Hopefully they keep updating and improving the game

• My deluxe edition just got left on my doorstep via Amazon. Will play when I get home from work.

• I'm digging it so far. I explored the first planet for about 2 hours, then took off for the next one. Although I did mess up already - I didn't activate the ship you get for preordering until I landed on the second planet (which is a barren wasteland) and when you do that it apparently erases all of the inventory you'd already moved onto your previous ship. Whoops.

• Played it for about an hour or two (since I preordered it on PC, have to wait until Friday to really dive in.) I'm not too sure what I think of it so far, but I only played a short sitting on my brothers PS4 copy until he kicked me off to play it himself.

The game looks good for what it is. Some beautiful environments and some ugly textures. Didn't really expect too much in this department.

The survival elements are tedious and take away from the game in my opinion. Not a major complaint but having to worry about multiple different fuels for your ship and mining laser and things for your exo-suit and life support is annoying. I don't mind having some, but this is a little too much.

Inventory is bad. Personally think it's way too small (though you can upgrade this, not sure how much of a help it is). Compare to Minecraft where you can build a place to store your items and materials, a the start of NMS you have a small personal inventory and your ship's inventory is not much bigger. I suppose that's part of the "exploration" theme that you don't get too take too much with you but it would be cool you could maybe plop down on a planet, move into one of the empty outposts and store and build upgrades and such until you hit the skies again.

The inventory menu is also clunky imo. I don't like how all upgrades to your ship and suit take up space.

The soundtrack is nice.

Also pretty disappointed that Sean Murray apparently flat out lied about multiplayer aspects.

• I think the textures are the last problem with this game. Because of the procedural generation, some areas are beautiful while some are gaudy and hard to even focus on (i.e. look at).

• The only thing that really bugs me, is that sometimes, when I hold R2 to lift off from the planet, it just sends me straight out of the planet's atmosphere, and I'm like..."Whoa...I just wanted to move a little bit, not leave the darn planet!"

The inventory space was annoying at first, but I've gotten up to about a 6x6 space in my personal inventory, and I try to only carry as much as I need of plutonium and that stuff for the ship's engine...otherwise I sell just about everything as soon as I fill up. I'm saving for a ship I saw that had something like 23 slots...