A Plague Tale Innocence

• It might be something I pick up later down the line, but to be honest I'm rather tired of the whole " two characters bonding and growing their relationship as they go on a difficult journey" premise, and they almost never envoke the emotional response they so often appear to be going for.

• @sheria I agree somewhat with the sentiment, some of those games haven't hit the mark for me either, but at least in this case I'm all for the premise and if nothing else I want to encourage more things like this, so hopefully I'll end up liking it.

• @bard91 said in A Plague Tale Innocence:

@sheria I agree somewhat with the sentiment, some of those games haven't hit the mark for me either, but at least in this case I'm all for the premise and if nothing else I want to encourage more things like this, so hopefully I'll end up liking it.

The time period is something a little different and actually interests me here so yes, I'm keen to at least try it and see how it goes.

• I ended up buying this today, I felt more like supporting this than Rage 2 at the moment.

Only had time to play the first chapter now. I appreciated the milieu, and the story began with intriguing first steps, they handled the beginning well. Amicia is really likable as the main character, I immediately liked her a lot. And her voice actress with this French accent is just spot on. The way I know myself and my taste in games I'm sensing I'll have a thrilling adventure ahead of me with these siblings. Lots of emotions.

• I'm just one hour or so in. I'm really liking it so far, the way as the narrative starts to go south it's so subtle and well done.

Playing on the X, and it's supposed to be X enhanced but there's way too much blur. If it's not in the centre of your views it's a bit messy. Seems like something easy to fix, hope they do it. But it doesn't detract from the overall experience.

• Sorry about the spam

It's not a bad looking game, just a bit too blurry.

Fantastic sound design and great use of music. The village you initially go to feels so real. Reminds me of remote little villages you can still find in Europe but more lived in. Great stuff. The narrative continues to be top notch too, so well paced. That's why I love this type of short games, no need for filler. Reminds me of Hellblade in so many ways. Also, the companion so far is very well implemented, really engaging. And I can already feel the relationship changing and evolving, hope it keeps growing. Also being a child it's a good way to make by sure the player has a strong connection even without knowing him that well.

Ah, love the collectibles. A cool way to get historical details of when the game takes place.

• Bought it too, quickest impulse buy for me in a long time.

I read in a review that both French and English dubbing are brilliant, which is great to hear! I'll probably play it with French voices for authenticity, as the "English with French accent" version would sound weird to me.

• @axel I'm actually debating whether or not I'll play it with French voices as well, my French is only decent so I'll need subtitles for sure but they did mention it is of great quality and it may give just a bit of extra realism.

• Played the first 2 chapters last night, I like it a lot!

The gameplay is actually reminiscent of The Last of Us, the stealth / distraction / crafting gameplay feels pretty similar, obviously with less firepower. The dialogue between Amicia and Hugo also gives me TLOU / God of War vibes.

I'm spending a lot of time smelling the roses, admiring the environments, they made a wonderful job, it's a gorgeous game.

The French voice acting for the two main characters is on point, however I felt like the delivery of a few other characters was a bit wooden and they didn't convey the urgency of some situations enough. Maybe it's due to the writing trying to sound "middle-agey", which makes it unnatural for the actors. Still, it's a very refreshing story and tone, far from edgy dudebro titles.

My only gripe is with the shooting. It's pretty stiff and I think even buggy, unless I'm missing something? It took me 20 tries to shoot the apples in the tutorial because my character just wouldn't do it. Hold LT to aim, then hold/release RT to shoot, right? I would be aiming at the apple, my cursor would snap to it and change appearance, but pressing RT wouldn't do anything. Eventually it worked, and then when I tried to shoot the other apples it stopped working again. Didn't really have this problem again in combat, although there's always a big delay between when I press RT and when she starts swinging.

I saw that by upgrading the sling you can reduce the delay so maybe it's intentional? If it is, it's very awkward to have no visual feedback for 1 or 2 seconds after pressing RT to shoot.

Anyway, can't wait to continue tonight!

• @axel That sounds weird, your issue with the shooting. I did the apple shooting on first try, no problems. It's like you said: hold LT to aim, the cursor thing changes yellow-ish to indicate it'll be a hit, then you charge the sling with RT and release when it's maxed out.

I finished Chapter 5 yesterday and I'm really liking the game, way into it. I love how much small dialogue moments Amicia and Hugo have between them, both on the "main path" and around optional findings as well. Hugo's so innocent, and Amicia is trying to find her role in regards to her little brother she's spent so little time with before.

The scenery has changed into some really vivid images already now in the past chapters, I've found myself quietly going out loud like "what the hell..." and "that's actually messed up". And for sure, this has those TLoU vibes I really enjoy, even same kind of minor crafting system that I like.

• Finished the game an hour ago. This was such a beautiful surprise, a really, really good game. Liked it a lot, even loved many things about it. Amicia and Hugo on top of that list. Both their dialogue and their voice actors were incredibly good, made me care about them so much. Especially Amicia had so many of those important little tone shifts throughout her lines, conversations and reactions. Tiny things you could hear that made her so alive.

The music really hit as well, I realized at some point. Very well composed and performed to convey things like sadness, tension and gloom. String instruments were used in a great fashion, the world felt even more medieval and European in addition to the powerful visuals because of this kind of music. And the organ in one of the chapters! Haven't felt that way since Interstellar, I think.

A lenghty game, too, but it still felt like a solid story this way. Some of the chapters lasted an hour or 90 minutes with my "look at every corner" playstyle, and nicely there were a few fifteen minutes ones as well offering you a different kind of relief between some intense encounters and places. Very well divided, all of this.

I feel very good for supporting Asobo Studio as this was, is, such a cool surprise all of a sudden, at least for me. It seemed they'd mainly developed lots of games on animations, but now under a new publisher they finally had the freedom to do what they really wanted. And that something is a powerful and beautiful game about a pair of siblings in a cruel world.

• Probably not my last post about this game.

I'm going to talk about some negatives and then finish on a very positive note.

-The game core gameplay severely lacks elasticity, not only on how it's linear but mostly because it's kind of easy to break it. And sometimes it demands a bit of good will from us not to abuse it, at the risk of braking immersion, or worst, when it happens by accident.
    -Animation transitions can be super rough at times.
    -Level design is just OK.
    -Plus the blur I mentioned on my first post.

Now to end this on a brighter look. Damn, I'll say it, these are some of the best environments I've ever seen in a game. Fantastic colour palette. From the vibrant woods, to the stone greys of the villages and the darkness and light contrasts. Beautiful weather effects, be it a foggy night or a sunny day and all in between. And the locations are so well realised, feel so believable, with great attention to detail. The game keeps changing locations and I keep being surprised by its quality. I feel that almost every single time they absolutely nail a very specific mood, greatly helped also by a masterful use of the soundtrack.

• I finished A Plague Tale today. It's a really well designed game with a great story. Just the type of game I needed after playing Rage 2.

• My copy just arrived, I don't think I;'ll start it right away and will probably wait until I'm done with Alice, but I'm pretty excited to see how I like it.

• Finished the game a few days ago. I was worried at the beginning that it could be a one trick pony but how wrong I was, they keep changing things up and that finale it really steps things up and ends things with a bang.

This and Hellblade are the best way, IMO, to make this type of games. With Uncharted 4, as I progressed, all the filler became so tiring to me that by the he end I had mostly a negative opinion about the game even if it was glorious at times. Give me short and focused adventure games please!

• I had time to pick it up again this week and I'm on Chapter 11, I imagine easily past the halfway mark by now.

Loving it, all killer no filler, never a dull moment, I want more games like this.

My concerns about the stiffness of the writing are gone now, it was only the case in the beginning as the characters were noblemen/women, but as you encounter more lower-class characters their speech gets more natural, which clearly helps the actors with their delivery.

The gameplay gradually becomes more complex and open, there's multiple ways to solve enemy encounters now and it's very satisfying to understand and work with the systems in place.

What a great surprise this game is!

• "A Plague Tale: Innocence - a fascinating game powered by stunning tech
    A bespoke engine from a smaller developer delivers triple-A level visuals."
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-a-plague-tale-innocence-tech-analysis

• Just started the game myself, played through the first two chapters in French, which makes for an interesting experience where I can sometimes understand pretty well what they are saying but I find myself completely lost at other times.

I'm really liking the beggining and the setup of things, so definitively looking forward to playing more of this.

• Oh shit they have a full French option? Might have to snag this sooner then later.

• @dmcmaster I mean since it is a French made game is arguably the correct way to play it.