Final Fantasy VII Remake

• I'll be double-dipping in no time, like a good fanboy should.

• @dipset Last of Us 2 I'll definitely wait because I'm not particularly hyped for it. I'm sure it'll be great but I wasn't crazy about the first one. They might even make it a simultaneous release on PS4 and as a PS5 launch title at this point, like Breath of the Wild on Wii U and Switch.

@Brannox I usually avoid double-dipping, even if somehow the PS5 version was free to PS4 version owners, I doubt I would want to replay the game a second time. So if I get it now, I won't get it on PS5, although it'll probably be very tempting.

I also have a base PS4, not a Pro, so at this point it would be the "worst" possible version. But the zeitgeist and peer pressure is so strong, and there not might be another big release for a few months...

Oh well, I'll figure it out! :)

• @brannox I don't see Sony (or Microsoft for that matter) implementing any kind of BC that "automatically" uprezzes previous generation games, but I can see games getting patches for PS5 that will essentially treat them like PS4 Pro Pro games which allows them to run faster/smoother.

• @el-shmiablo Isn't the whole Smart Delivery shtick from Microsoft supposed to give you the version of the game that's best for your console, regardless of which "version" you bought? Basically cross-buy.

Reading this here: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/02/24/what-you-can-expect-next-generation-gaming/

This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on.

But in any case, I don't see Square Enix being that generous.

• @axel
    It's Square Enix, they'll probably release a PS5, Xbox One, Xbox SX version, two different PC versions, and a Tiger handheld LCD version next year.

• @axel The game still needs to support that service and be patched to support the features.
    Reading more on Smart Delivery, it's just Cross Buy with a new name.

• The trophy list finally opened up on PS4. Been receiving those things blind since Saturday. Not that I'm spoiling myself now either with that. Chapter 12 is next for me.

• I wanna play it but as I only play most games once I'll wait for next gen.

• @el-shmiablo said in Final Fantasy VII Remake:

Reading more on Smart Delivery, it's just Cross Buy with a new name.

Yeah it really is. But like you said, it's not magical, it has to be supported by the publisher, it will only be a guarantee for first-party titles on Xbox.

• @axel Yeah that's all I was saying.
    It honestly seems like it's up to the publisher going forward. Cyberpunk is doing the same thing. Own the game on PS4? You also own the PS5 version.

• It's been a long time since I get to play a new game at launch day. The menu music is fucking killing me, so goddamn good. Scratch that, not just the menu music.

• I've got to chapter 4 already, it's been great so far. I have a few thoughts on things (never played the original game, btw):

• The combat took a bit to get a hang of, and so far it's quite fun. Switching characters is pretty seamless, the attacks are flashy and satisfying to hit, and using the commands mid battle doesn't feel cumbersome at all. I really like how the ATB system rewards being aggresive and also thoughtful, might as well do some damage and get the bar filled rather than guarding all the time. I need to get a hang of the lock on system, it's very finicky. I feel like this is what the FFXV combat should have been.
    • Man, the first 2 chapters are a great intro to this game. The game gets to flex the cinematic muscles quite a bit, which adds a lot to the overall presentation of the game. It's also well paced. Plus, Loveless Avenue looks stunning. I honestly forgot that the game is a JRPG, these two chapters felt like something out of a more linear action game. Chapter 3 slowed down things down and showed more of the RPG stuff, albeit in a somewhat awkward way.
    • The main character interactions has been fun to watch. Seeing Cloud being... Cloud is pretty chuckle worthy at times. Barret's tsundere-esque one time character break is hilarious. Tifa's a sweetheart and I really cant wait to see her more. Jessie's a fun time as well.
    • The music is fantastic. It's worth the admission price alone, tbh.
    • Graphically, this game still looks gorgeous on my substandard setup (PS4 Slim + a low-end TV I got for free), especially in the topside environments. The slums look as grotty as I would have expected, but there's quite a few noticeable slow loading textures and objects there, especially if you're running around. I also notice a lot of times where the game pauses for 3-5 seconds everytime you interact with the NPCs, specifically quest givers. Now more than ever i'm glad the next gen consoles focuses on the loading stuff, especially PS5.

I'm really excited to play more, I hope you all will be enjoying it as well. Playing this puts me in a good mood for studying too, which is nice.

• I'm actually playing it. Nothing can ruin this for me.

• ID Software sharing in the FF7 excitement.
    0_1586558735323_FB_IMG_1586558668507.jpg

• Goddamn this just keeps on being excellent! Another super intense boss fight behind me, love how the music just drills into my brain in those and kicks right in. Pure extacy.

The story is now telling me that the point-of-no-return is next. I'm ready for the final chapters! ...tomorrow, it's 2.00 AM and I just played six hours again.

• @sentinel-beach
    How long have you been playing?

• @dmcmaster I believe the clock showed something short of 35 hrs. Although it seems to keep running on pause as well, which has for sure added 2-4 hrs to it (I mean I've eaten something a bunch of times etc.).

• @sentinel-beach So the game's length about 30 hours? Man, that's sounds reasonable. I could actually finish this soon-ish.

• @sentinel-beach
    Ok just had the impression from your comment that you basically glued yourself to a couch for 30 something hours.

Anyway have done maybe 12 hours so far, have 2 sidequests I need to finish in Sector 5 before I continue the story.

Also I hope they find some way to incorporate Jesse into the rest of the parts, gone from window dressing character to damn near main character. That and shes just alot of fun.

• I think I've seen people finishing this in about 30 hrs or so, sure. Mine will take 40-50, it seems.

And no, I haven't played that all in one sitting. :) I got the game last Saturday, so I've actually played this pretty sparingly for a week now. A couple chapters a night, basically.