Final Fantasy VII Remake

• @sentinel-beach

When every scene in FF7 becomes a Yakuza sub-story.

• @sentinel-beach God Damn that is excellent, this remake is going to be insane.

• I am guessing this will be a two episode remake unless they add to the game

• I guess it depends on where they end up splitting it. I think, for example - we should definitely be on the world map by the time game 1 is over. If it's just Midgar, I'd be a little bummed.

It takes like 4-5 hours in the og game to get out of midgar, but CGI and voice acting and such is gonna double that.

• Two parts makes sense, I think you have to end the first part at the end of disc one. I think that's the end of the part 1 regardless if there's 2 or 3 games. You can't really split them just by disc though, disc 3 isn't that long., hence why I think two makes sense.

I think they'll do three games just to really milk it though.

• @iboshow
    I'm thinking at least 3 part
    Episode 1 being a fleshed out and expanded Midgard
    Episode 2 possibly ending with Cloud's coma/amnesia.
    Episode 3 being well the rest

• Really?! I was thinking 5 episodes minimum.

I'm just now wondering how the world will be handled. Like, between episodes, will we be able to explore the open world and farm/grind/sidequest or once you complete the chapter, you can't keep playing until the next one. I'm now really curious just how action-focused this is going to be. I hope it isn't just going to be a big long tunnel.

• @tokyoslim
    I think we might get a taste of the world outside Midgard if they keep that (admittedly odd) section where you leave hit a inn then go back.

• I'm gonna be bummed if each part as some sort of soft cap on leveling/item gathering. They'd better give you something to do between parts, otherwise I can't see it playing like a JRPG.

• I wonder if they'll integrate any of the Compilation material into Remake. I've only ever played Crisis Core (and it's been quite some time), but I think parts of it could drop in nicely.

• @binarymelon
    I hope so, although they'll either have to get Gackt back or just redesign G. Hell Gackt is the alleged reason why Crisis Core hasn't been ported to anything.

• @sazime
    I'm pretty sure there will be a NG+ at least.

• Some (very optimistic) people think that the "episodic" format means they'll do something more akin to the FF XIII trilogy, so we'd have FF VII Remake as a full game, and they'd make sequels / spin-offs down the line, re-using assets, to make the whole investment profitable (also possibly re-using Crisis Core / Dirge of Cerberus stories, or brand new ones).

I would love for that to be the case, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• I really don't like the choice to release the game in episodes. There are episodic games that I enjoy, but it worked for me when it played on leaving you hanging and keen to know what happens next. The trouble here is that we already know the full story, so not only will episode 1 leave the player feeling hard done by due to the whole thing feeling cut off and incomplete, but it wont be able to rely on the cliff hanger trick that episodic media relies upon.

One could argue for new players that are yet familiar with the game, but I seriously don't see them as being the primary audience for this remake. Final Fantasy hasn't been the stand out name it was for a while and Jrpg's aren't really the thing anymore for young gamers. A remake of the seventh game, for a franchise in a genre that sadly isn't in any limelight anymore just isn't going to do it. Let's face it, this I purely for the long term fans here.

• Is there much chance a PC version of this launches alongside the PS4 version?

• @binarymelon
    Possibly, depending of that deal is still in effect

• @binarymelon Probably an Epic Game Store exclusive. 😜

• @sazime YES! I want to see the internet on that day.

• So me and a classmate in my web development class were talking during some down time about how the combat system and we came up with what she called "Limit Break Enhancement" along with how we think combat currently works, and some thoughts on materia.

• The Yellow bars will probably fill as you either take or dish out damage, while the limit break bar is empty you'll do a heavy attack of some kind probably a slow attack that will leave you open to attack but will fill the Limit bar's much faster.
      *When you do have a limit bar filled, it's possible moves will have new effects to better accommodate the 3D combat such as some moves getting a small bit of AOE to them.
      *Some moves that were originally limit breaks will probably be just regular combat moves, I remember Cloud having a move that acted like Stinger in DMC. So use that as one example.
      *Materia will function like the Command Deck system from Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance, only there will be no cool down periods for most of them, so long as you have the MP for it. Only the strongest of magic skills will have a cool down period.
      *You can junction materia with limit breaks giving them unique effects, such as attaching fire to Braver causing a small geyser of fire to rise when hitting the enemy, or Barret's big shot healing him when attached to a Cure Materia.

• The Episodic nature of the game has little to do with wanting to preserve the story or anything, it's just that they don't want to wait 10 years for this game to come out.