Final Fantasy VII Remake

• @sentinel-beach So the game's length about 30 hours? Man, that's sounds reasonable. I could actually finish this soon-ish.

• @sentinel-beach
    Ok just had the impression from your comment that you basically glued yourself to a couch for 30 something hours.

Anyway have done maybe 12 hours so far, have 2 sidequests I need to finish in Sector 5 before I continue the story.

Also I hope they find some way to incorporate Jesse into the rest of the parts, gone from window dressing character to damn near main character. That and shes just alot of fun.

• I think I've seen people finishing this in about 30 hrs or so, sure. Mine will take 40-50, it seems.

And no, I haven't played that all in one sitting. :) I got the game last Saturday, so I've actually played this pretty sparingly for a week now. A couple chapters a night, basically.

• Just got to wall market and God is it pretty at times. Seriously makes me wonder what Gold Saucer could potentially look like.

• I finished it. My God this was good! Absolutely beautiful in so many ways. My expectations were more than met, I'm truly thankful for this game. It's both simple and complex in the right ways and in the right areas. It's elegant, magical, heart-warming, thougth-provoking, modern yet also timeless, fun and awe-inspiring. Superb.

I wouldn't give it a 10, but this is in a way still more than that score. A really rare case of a dream come true, in a really solid, entertaining and quite frankly unimaginable way.

I know these are like super high praises I'm singing right now, but my head is still completely in Midgar right now. I spent my Sunday with the final few chapters today, played for nine hours straight. In total the game clock showed just about 50 hrs for my playthrough, but I guess you could minus five hours because of the idle time / pause.

The Junon cannon, some day... One of my absolute favourite moments in the whole game.

• Got to Sector 5 for the first time and met Aerith again. The short rooftop section with her is so good. The way she speaks and acts, the VO's nailing it. She's so charming, it's ridiculous. The cast of characters are 10/10 so far.

• @bam541 100% agree

• @bam541
    Not entirely sure why you spoil tagged that, but I completely agree the cast is just about perfect.
    Also I somehow didn't realize this till yesterday but Badger from Breaking Bad is wedge and now I'm kinda hoping Mike gets picked to play Cid.

• @dmcmaster said in Final Fantasy VII Remake:

@bam541
    Not entirely sure why you spoil tagged that

I'm just trying to be cautious, lol.

• That's actually a pretty terrible way to use spoiler tags, sorry. I mean, give a little context before that, like the chapter number for example. Now that could be literally anything under there, like your thoughts on the final boss or something.

• @sentinel-beach
    It's his thoughts on Areiths house and the voice acting.
    House be purrdy

• I'm about to start the final stretch but I I have my own little theory about the possible direction this will take

This is all taking place during Cloud's coma, and the game is just his attempt at putting the pieces back together.

• Welp my theory was wrong about the ending, will post spoiler thoughts later

• So I wasn't expecting that Meta ass narrative in the third act, that said I left somewhat cautious and optimistic about the next two parts (assuming it's a trilogy) as they are free to approach the world and events of 7 in a whole new light, which I guess means Remake is just the start of the 7-2 Trilogy?
    That said I'm still trying to figure out a few things about the ending, such as which Sephiroth was at the Edge of Creation, although I'm partial to the thought that it is OG Sephiroth, and the 7 seconds were to let Cloud change the world in some way, that in doing so brought a version of Zack that didn't die, along with another Cloud (albeit one still suffering from Mako Poisoning) into this new timeline/ Alternate Universe.

Also maybe I'm stretching a bit but I feel there is a weird sudo narrative with the Whispers being almost a representation of the fans, they initially try to make sure event's happen as they originally happened, before slowly relenting and letting new things happen. Like I said I think I'm stretching alot with that idea.

Anyway I do think that going forward some events will still happen but now in a new context, basically going from "Oh no thoese guys killed this bird, let's kick thier ass" to "oh no thoese guys are trying to kill that bird, let's kick thier ass" kinda thing, with new stuff sprinkled throughout.

Anyway now that that's done, any improvements you guys want to see in a patch or the most likely real Next Gen versions?

Personally I just wish there was some way to alter the AI of teammates a bit, had too many instances where the enemies would be agroed onto whichever character I was using while Barret or whoever is just standing around.

• PSA, the version of Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children on Amazon Video is not the Complete version as advertised, it's the original version.

• Just reached 17th hour mark, after doing a 8 hour long single session. I usually can't even play longer than 4 hours at a time nowadays. Haven't done this since Uncharted 4 came out. This game just keeps getting better! Chapter 9 is pretty sick, it's worth it for that scene with Andrea.

Also, I just realized how similar this is to Crisis Core. This game is basically an evolution of that game at all fronts. I think it explains why I feel so nostalgic while playing this game.

@DMCMaster I think loading times and texture pop ins are the number 1 thing the next gen/pc versions can fix, maybe I'm alone on this but there's so much pop in textures that it's laughable.

• @bam541
    I feel you on the 8+ hour sitting, took a day off work to finish the final stretch, also just needed a break from work. Started at like 9 or 10 am, and credits started rolling about 6pm.

I'm almost certain texture pop in is gonna be fixed in a patch, maybe.

Will say in replaying a few things aerial combat is gonna need to be changed in part 2, there's a part in chapter 15 that if Barret gets taken out, and Cloud or Tifa have no ATB there is no way to attack or revive, and there's no way to build ATB because the two Dragons want to hang around a bottomless pit that neither Cloud or Tifa can get to.

Speaking of Part 2, any gameplay changes you'd like to see?
    Personally I'd love to see a bit of DMC style combat incorporated into FF7 if only to add some different combos and hopefully some more choice in how you handle combat, like do a launcher attack to do a aerial combo on one enemy to avoid a AOE attack on the ground, something like that anyway. Also some AI settings for NPCs would be nice.

I imagine that part 2 will borrow a bit from 15 in some regards, like roads connecting towns except for Cosmo Canyon.

• @dmcmaster Honestly, so far I can't think of worthwhile additions I want to see for the combat, I think it's very solid already. Maybe I'll have more to say after finishing it.

I do have problems when trying to lock on and attack a specific part of an enemy. It's probably just me but I keep switching targets unintentionally, switching targets feels so sensitive. Also, the lock on camera is kinda claustrophobic, like the way it frames you and the enemy makes me uncomfortable for some reason, lol.

• @bam541
    Fyi you can change the camera distance in the options, feels way less claustrophobic.

• @dmcmaster I didn't know that! Gonna try it out later.