Super Mario Maker 2

• Global Moderator

Well, who's been playing?

I've just played a few story missions and made a pretty short, bad, level to get into it. Looking forward to messing around with it a lot more.

YY2-JG6-WMG is the ID if you're interested :D

• Needs a patch.

• Needs a patch.

• Global Moderator

Oh wow, that is really bad. Is it consistently like that?

• "You can simply get the Super Mario Maker 2 game. If you currently don't have a Nintendo Switch Online membership, you'll still be able to play local multiplayer and create levels for people to play on your own console. You just won't be able to access any online content in the game's Course World."

What does this mean? The game is useless without a subscription? You can't play any user created levels?

• @tokeeffe9 Played yours. World record set 😎

The jump at the end is tricky!

Here is my first level: 9RQ-R9B-7HG

Spent hours on it last night and no one has played it cause I uploaded at like 12am haha

Edit to address you post about the lag: it isnt that bad normally. I have had mostly good experiences with the online.

• @tokeeffe9 I don't have the game yet, but I asked my friend who does and has been playing lots of online, and he confirmed he'll get games like that from time to time. He said he wished it would kick laggy players and restart the level like Super Mario Party would kick laggy players and restart the minigame. You can get smooth matches, but I think this shit is STILL P2P, so it is entirely dependent on individual's connections. So much for the $20 a year online actually improving the online.

@Ezekiel Correct. They do sell a version of the game with a 1-year subscription included for $10 more than the normal price, which saves you $10 off the yearly sub though. The game does have a little story mode and you can still make and play levels locally without the subscription, but much like Splatoon, online really is the backbone of these games.

• @mbun said in Super Mario Maker 2:

@Ezekiel Correct. They do sell a version of the game with a 1-year subscription included for $10 more than the normal price, which saves you $10 off the yearly sub though. The game does have a little story mode and you can still make and play levels locally without the subscription, but much like Splatoon, online really is the backbone of these games.

Oh well. My brother offered to pay 25 towards it, because it's the only Switch game he wants to play, but if I have to pay for a sub on top of that then I'll pass.

• Here's some of my courses:

Sky thwomping: LMN-D9W-QPF.
    Spin-jump challenge: GRY-K0Q-JRG.

• @tokeeffe9 Finally got my copy today. I'm mostly just enjoying the new story mode levels so far. I did make one level. T55-1YP-8YF.

• Beat story first day I got it, and that was lots of fun. Still have plenty of courses left to play through in it too. Making levels is definitely a downgrade from the original in lots of ways, (RIP layering) but even just with a Pro Controller it is finicky but doable once you get the hang of it. Just finished making my first course for this game, and I felt way more restricted than I ever did in the original in every area except asset limits, least they improved that. Hoping this game gets lots of patches to polish up lots of the rough edges into beautiful slopes. Oh, and Nintendo better not delete my levels and prevent me from reuploading them if they don't attain Youtuber tier popularity again now that I'm paying for online. I see we have 32 slots to start instead of 10 like the first game.

Oh yeah, here's that level: 9RX-LFD-20G I'll check yall's out in a bit.

Edit: @sage-of-thyme said:

Here is my first level: 9RQ-R9B-7HG

Course not found...

Managed to play everyone else's I think though. I was worried mine would be too tough, but some of yall got those screw up once and forced to restart courses. Instead of blocks with powerups or single enemies you can use pipes to respawn them for infinite chances. Just be careful with infinite powerups.

• Global Moderator

I must remember to try out all the levels created here when I get home today. I created another one too over the weekend.

From now on though, I'm planning on spending my commute making a level and hopefully make longer ones.

• Completed all 120 levels in the singleplayer. Pretty good stuff, only real complaint is that Luigi pesters you about using the "we think you're an idiot that can't play this game so here's basically cheat codes" button on every single level after dying only twice. Surely they could have added a toggle to shut him up or something.

• @hanabi Agree hard. Up the count of the amount you have to die too. Give people a chance to adjust to a level before throwing easy win at them.

• @mbun is the issue in terms of making levels with the usability or straight up less features, cause I could understand things being more difficult without a tablet but lacking previous features would be far worse.

• @bard91 Both sadly. It is a Pokemon situation where the next game lacks some things from the last while adding new other stuff instead.

• Wondering if I should get this game plus Astral Chain for my Nintendo discount voucher. I honestly don't see myself dedicating too much time creating levels myself. Think its worth it? I might be more into watching this game than playing it but I can't say because I haven't tried it.

• @dipset If you like Mario, there's 120 campaign levels (not all required for credits) that are all pretty well designed, kind of like buying a new 2D Mario officially by Nintendo, plus all the levels others make. It is probably worth it for that alone. I'd hold off if you were getting it for the online coop and versus though. Very rough right now.

• Made my first level: WG5-TN9-7HF
    not very hard and probably not very good but that's what I get for trying top-down design instead of thinking of the gameplay mechanics first.