Super Mario Maker 2

• @Mbun Played both your levels last night. One I had obviously seen on stream, and the other was just a great & solid standard course. I liked navigating through the middle section particularly. I really enjoy the visual consistency of both your levels and how everything looks just good and thought-out. I hope to see a 3D World level from you some time! It seems harder to be creative with the style compared to the others in creating unique visuals, but it does make up for it by just looking so nice in the first place!

• @mbun Yeah I feel the timer is off to, I wish they would implement an editing feature so we could fix already published levels. According to death counter it doesn't look like a lot of players have even found the secret area.

• @awgner07 Thanks. I'm honestly not so happy with how my second level came out. I started it cause I was procrastinating my 3D World level actually. I should get back to that after this weekend.

@CptCobblePot I found out you can delete your uploaded level, make changes, and then reupload it at least, but of course it'll wipe the records of people who played it, which is a bummer. Editing is just one of those things that should've been in this game that isn't.

• Yeah patchability would be so nice. All they would have to do is make you redo the clear check to make sure you haven't made it impossible and then let you keep the stats of your level.

• But then what's stopping you from making a completely different level when editing it, meaning if you keep the stats/likes from the original they become irrelevant since they applied to something else entirely. I'd like to do little tweaks to my levels too but it's understandable why it was left out since it could lead to all sorts of abuse.

• @axel Yes, that is indeed probably one of the reasons why they don't have it implemented. It would be nice, but there'd be so many ways for people to abuse it unfortunately.

• I've made my first multiplayer level. It's a race up a giant beanstalk. It can of course be fun by yourself as well!

Up the Beanstalk with You All

5B7-2MQ-HPF

• @mbun Editing shouldn't be in, at all. Delete and re-upload is as it should be IMO. What's the point of keeping stats if the level can be modified? The only editing that I would be in favour would be one in which you still lose the stats but keep the track ID.

Anyways guys, made a new level: HKQTYJVQG

Some puzzle solving, not too obtuse I hope. I love so much classic Mario graphics, not sure if I'll ever venture into making any 3D world level, anything after the SNES I find it painful to look at.

• @axel said:

But then what's stopping you from making a completely different level when editing it, meaning if you keep the stats/likes from the original they become irrelevant since they applied to something else entirely.

I don't see many people actually doing this.

it's understandable why it was left out since it could lead to all sorts of abuse

I can't think of any abuse you could do with it as long as it forces you to redo clear checks after edits.

@Phbz said:

What's the point of keeping stats if the level can be modified?

Just log the version numbers and keep the stats locked to their previous versions. Easy.

What yall don't get is how annoying it is when people have to delete their level, make tiny edits, reupload, and now it shows back up as a new level on your followed list and sometimes you don't realize you've already beaten it cause the flag is gone, and of course all the likes and general traffic are gone too, simply to fix little things found through play testing. It is like saying devs should never patch their games.

• At least making minor adjustments would be cool, but I am sure that would be hard to implement. What could they limit?

Plus if the level is reuploaded it may not get the pickup that it had before. Not really a happy medium either way. I will just have to playtest my levels more than once before uploading.

• @cptcobblepot Even playtesting my levels extensively, I forgot to save my level at the specific part of the level I wanted to show on the thumbnail for it, and had to delete and reupload just to fix that.

• @mbun Oh THAT's how you can choose the thumbnail?? Good to know!

• @mbun See and that happens. I feel like I play play tested my level a ton. However, I did do it all in one day and I was pretty excited to upload my first level ever.

The only solution is for them to offer some form of re-editing a level.

• @cptcobblepot I finally thought of an example where people could edit a shortcut to have a friend win an unbeatable fastest speed record on the level, then edit it back so nobody could ever top it as possible abuse to allowing editing, but that's such an unlikely edge case, and most would be super obvious if they did it. If you just tied records to a version history it'd also prevent this. There's ways to make it work. I just don't think they want to go through the effort to implement it.

• Just played some with a friend, and it was very fun and smooth. Will depend on connections of course, and it was only two player, not four.

• Youtube Video

This is insane! They added pretty much everything people were asking for, this World Maker thing alone is amazing, but there's so much more.

A bit curious why they didn't go all out on a Mario Bros 2 theme and instead added only a few functionalities, but I really can't complain. This could make me get back to it.

• @axel I wanted to see a Mario Bros 2 theme as well. Though Nintendo acknowledging Mario Bros 2 at all in 2020 makes me happy.

I haven't played any Mario Maker 2 this year, so this should be a good time for me to check out all the new content.

• @axel said:

They added pretty much everything people were asking for

Gonna have to push back on that. People have been wanting a new full theme since launch, new playable characters or at least special powerups like the Link one to rival all the Costume Mario in 1, less restrictions between the modes, and stuff like that stone from the campaign to use in levels we make. Honestly, it is really disappointing that this is the last major update for this game when it is only the third update.

It feels like they gave up on the game when it didn't become the phenomenon 1 was. As great as some of the stuff in this update is, trust me I'm hype for Froggy Suit and some of those 3D World objects I never expected to see again, I don't know if it'll breathe enough life into the game longterm when everyone outside the hardcore Super Mario Maker community has pretty much already moved on. The only thing I can see taking off big is the World Maker. I hope if the game does become a big deal again due to it, the devs recognize that and pull a Splatoon 2 where even though they said they were done with major updates, they alter course and come back for more.

Really just feels like resources being shifted at Nintendo to other projects that are getting more attention, like Animal Crossing, and I'm not the biggest fan of that trend. ARMS kind of got abandoned too due to disinterest, but seems like they finally are bringing plans back around for that to finally implement all the cut planned content from 1. Least this game got supported more than Super Mario Party I suppose.

Anyways, if Super Mario Maker 3 ever happens, I hope it isn't managed in the way that this game was. End of the day, Super Mario Maker 2 still feels like a sidegrade from 1 rather than a full sequel. There shouldn't be things I prefer about the previous entry in this type of game, so if they do make a 3, I hope they take a long look at all the successes of the original and failures of 2 as well as the way each was supported affected the life around the game. These games have the power to be massive and magical, and 2 simply didn't live up to what it should've been with moving such a dream concept from basically dead hardware to extremely popular hardware.