Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)

• Youtube Video

Another game that deserves a thread!

Release date: July 26th

There's also a ton of new info courtesy of Famitsu, which you can read here: https://serenesforest.net/2019/05/15/three-houses-second-famitsu-article-skills-crests-battalions-academy/

Or here in more easily digestible format:

Youtube Video

• I'm excited about it, though I do have to say I have a few concerns about the game.

The description they gave on the video sounds a lot like what we got in Trails of Cold Steel, which I'm all in favor of that, but I know it can be somewhat worrisome for people with more experience with FE.

Aside from that, I expected it, but I was still dissapointing to see such a uncreative and non sensical setting, in my limited experience World Building in Fire Emblem has always been terrible, and it is something I would love to see much improved, but oh well.

• I was initially super excited for this game, but ever since they showed it turning more into Persona or Harry Potter even, I've lost most of my interest in this. It will probably still be good, particularly during a second half if there's a major shakeup that changes how the game plays, but that already means less of what I wanted from this for the sake of adding replay value through faction choosing to a game that I don't think needed it. Still keeping an eye on it though, and I still think it looks like a healthy bounce back from the stuff that popularized Awakening and Fates, at least until they announce dating your students or something.

• Youtube Video

The Treehouse presentation really sold me on it, the academy features seem fun and original, and the battles have many new interesting elements. This game feels fresh and more ambitious than it first appeared, can't wait!

• @mbun This post aged well.

• @mbun
    not sure if satire

• Just watched the gameplay and I don't know what to think, I see a lot of stuff I like, but there plenty of ways in which I'm just not super confident in the game.

• You Can Recruit Students From Other Houses
    Really like that one sassy student who's part of another house?
    You can speak with students from other houses at Garreg Mach and invite them to join your house.
    If you have high enough skills in the attributes they respect, they'll join you.

Oh, that's a great touch.

Fire Emblem's weapon triangle is, in many ways, the foundation on which the series' combat lies.
    Three Houses throws the triangle to the wayside.
    Instead, the power of your attacks will be determined by your units' Combat Arts, which are essentially their special moves that they learn as they level up.

I don't know about this though.

• @mbun I'm a little confused by that one. I just don't really get how the strength of a normal hit could be determined by a special move, but maybe I'm just misunderstanding it.

• @capnbobamous This all sounds very, very cool to me! This is the kind of ambition and risk I'd love to see from Pokémon, by the way.

The only confusing thing is that you'll first spend X hours at the academy only training your units, with no battles (or maybe mock ones?), and then you'll be at war and possibly never use the academy again? Feels like a weird split, but maybe it's not as strict as I'm imagining it.

As for the Combat Arts, they say "One Combat Art might be useful against beasts while another might hurt archers more, and so on." Could it be that every attack is a Combat Art, and there's no regular attacks? Or regular attacks are just always neutral against any type of enemy?

I'm not too worried about that, I'm sure it'll be balanced properly.

Super excited for this!

• @axel
    I feel like there will be some time travel elements to the plot , like the tutorial will be use getting to know all the characters and learning the basics , before we see the "reunion" 5 years later as a vision from Tiki, and we see the worst possible outcome where all 3 kingdoms manage to destroy each other and the school is completely destroyed, and I assume some larger unseen villain is revealed/hinted at, which (and I might be remembering it wrong) the school is supposed to be some kind of neutral ground between all three kingdoms, no school just means open war between them.

As for the combat arts it might possibly work like this, maybe?
    Like we have the base level's for all the units, but equipping different gear will give you temporary skills (equip firesword, get fire skill while it's equipped) as you battle you'll get some like skill points or class points, spend class points and you'll unlock the skill as a permanent level up, or something like that.

• Youtube Video

Short video showcasing a few characters and some lore for the Black Eagles.

• Youtube Video

Blue Lions preview this time.

• Found out from previews that every line of dialogue in the game is voiced. That's pretty nuts.

• @mbun
    Damn, going all out on this one it sounds like

• Not gonna lie I was pretty doubtful of this one, but after seeing a lot of info from previous I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out, , sadly I won't jump into it soon but it is getting pretty tempting.

• Youtube Video

The last one is Golden Deer. Until the dlc fourth house.

0_1563231837374_a93e5077-672a-4a0c-9362-0e0b16ca4e37-image.png

• Youtube Video

Youtube Video

https://opencritic.com/game/7401/fire-emblem-three-houses

87 Opencritic at the moment, looks like a winner. Can't wait to get started, this game is going to eat the next couple months for me.