Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)

• Global Moderator

Put a lot of hours in over the weekend while watching Easy Livin' and I'm having a lot of fun so far. Feels good to play Fire Emblem on Switch. Love talking to everyone, doing the quests, and fishing in the monastery. Teaching aspect and the lectures are cool as well.

If you're playing, what house did everyone pick? I chose Golden Deer since I love Claude and was able to recruit Sylvain immediately , working on recruiting Felix since he seems pretty strong and maybe Bernadetta just cause I like her.

• @kristen-rogers I went Blue Lions and I recruited Leonie from Golden Deer. Leonie is a Cavalier now but I'm building her stats for a Bow Knight because my archer Ashe is very weak. Felix is really strong! I usually send him to one part of the map alone and he wrecks everyone. He has a Lone Wolf ability that let's him do extra damage.

I'm about 20 hours in. Although. I didn't realize until recently you can hold a button to run while in the monastery. That should save me some time. Especially with recovering all those lost items. My favorite fights so far are the monster battles. I like how you have to surround them and break their armor before you can kill them. It reminds me a little of Octopath Traveler.

• @shoulderguy you know you can fast travel in the monastery?

• @bigdude1 I do use the fast travel. I just don't want to miss any items or conversations. That's why I run around the whole monastery once every month.

• I got a question for y'all playing with permadeath on: do other characters react when a character dies? Like, is there a special cutscene that shows people mourning the death or something like that? Because if there isn't, I don't really see the point.

• I finally took a deep dive into it this weekend, and I'm loving it!

I went with the Blue Lions but it was an agonizing choice, there's students I really want from the other two houses, so I'm working hard on recruiting them now (Petra will be mine!)

I'm taking it reaaaal slow, I think I'm 5 hours in and I've done only 3 or 4 battles (including the tutorial one). I walk everywhere in the Monastery and talk to everyone every chance I get. Maybe I'll get tired of it eventually, but I love this setting and the way the narrative is delivered, there's already so much lore and backstory you can learn (or totally miss) if you pay enough attention. For example, take the time to go through the Roster menu and read the "biography" of each character, with important dates and events in their lives, and you'll notice parallels, relationships, etc.

Excellent stuff, I'm already way more invested in the story and my characters than I ever was in Fates.

• @capnbobamous the point is consequences to playing poorly. But you can rewind time several times in a match so even thats not hard

• @bigdude1 yeah I get that, I just want to know if it affects anything out of combat. I'm playing in Classic mode, and though I haven't had anyone die yet, I plan on letting any death lie without using the rewind function. That said, if there is nothing to deaths other than "this character no longer exists," then I am less inclined to do that.

• There is a cemetery in the Monastery with "blank" graves that could be filled with characters you lost, but I don't know if it actually works this way since I haven't lost anybody yet. It would be a nice touch to be able to interact with a grave and see the name of the character, in which battle they died, etc.