Blair Witch Sequel

• So a Blair Witch Sequel is Happening, from the director of Your Next and The Guest. Early reactions are incredibly positive

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/07/the-woods-adam-wingard-blair-witch-project-sequel-comic-con-1201708816

How freaked out is @Huber right now, if at all. I hope we get some discussion in a Huber hype or frame trap episode

• I thought it was weird they "revealed" this so early. The Woods has had a trailer out for awhile and although people speculated it might be tied into Blair Witch, nothing was known for sure. I kinda liked not knowing, it built suspense. Ah well, still interested to see how it does.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Blair Witch Sequel:

I thought it was weird they "revealed" this so early. The Woods has had a trailer out for awhile and although people speculated it might be tied into Blair Witch, nothing was known for sure. I kinda liked not knowing, it built suspense. Ah well, still interested to see how it does.

It had to happen. It comes out in 2 months and they had to begin the hype train. This is almost the same strategy as Cloverfield lane being only two months out. Though it is odd with the trailer already out I am glad they did this when they did

• @Lexad I'm gonna make a weird comparison here. Remember when PT came out? It was announced and launched the same day. I didn't hear about it until I started seeing articles like, "OMG!!! PT IS ACTUALLY SILENT HILLS!! EXCLUSIVE FINDING!!!11!". I think what made that event special is that no one knew what they were getting into with PT initially and now it's become this defining moment for our recent console generation. That surprise just blew everyone away. The only two problems with this analogy is that 1) the movie industry is not the game industry, and 2) Silent Hill (seemingly) has a better reputation than Blair Witch.

You're right though, I bet Huber is brandishing his brand new battle ax in anticipation and excitement right now.

• I'm a huge fan of the original movie, but I'm incredibly skeptical of how good this will be. One of the best things about the original was its small cast, simplicity, and how the scary parts of the movie slowly ramped up through uneasiness and the unknown. If this is just a ton of jumpscares like most other horror films released these days, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

One other thing is that The Blair Witch Project already had a sequel, and it was one of the worst movies ever made. I feel like that first movie was a perfect thing on its own - no need to go back into that well for more story.

Obviously, I'd love to be proven wrong here, and since it's been getting good feedback, I'm still interested. Just setting my expectations a certain way.

• @Smartzke said in Blair Witch Sequel:

I'm a huge fan of the original movie, but I'm incredibly skeptical of how good this will be. One of the best things about the original was its small cast, simplicity, and how the scary parts of the movie slowly ramped up through uneasiness and the unknown. If this is just a ton of jumpscares like most other horror films released these days, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

One other thing is that The Blair Witch Project already had a sequel, and it was one of the worst movies ever made. I feel like that first movie was a perfect thing on its own - no need to go back into that well for more story.

Obviously, I'd love to be proven wrong here, and since it's been getting good feedback, I'm still interested. Just setting my expectations a certain way.

Bloody disgusting is heralding this as a huge hit for the horror genre and messes with the audience's expectations in a good way. The director has two films under his belt that are really really good.

• @Lexad said in Blair Witch Sequel:

@Smartzke said in Blair Witch Sequel:

I'm a huge fan of the original movie, but I'm incredibly skeptical of how good this will be. One of the best things about the original was its small cast, simplicity, and how the scary parts of the movie slowly ramped up through uneasiness and the unknown. If this is just a ton of jumpscares like most other horror films released these days, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

Bloody disgusting is heralding this as a huge hit for the horror genre and messes with the audience's expectations in a good way. The director has two films under his belt that are really really good.

That's cool. I think most of my concern comes from wondering if it will be a good sequel, and not just a good standalone horror movie.

• I thought You're Next and The Guest were too silly to work as horror and too humorless to work as comedies. Can't say I'm a fan of Wingard, but I remember looking at his upcoming projects and seeing 'The Woods' and Death Note and thinking: "Huh. The Woods. That doesn't really make sense, especially given that it's a wide release." Maybe that speaks more to my cynicism towards original ideas hitting the multiplex more than it does to my hunch that there was something else going on here.

Anyhow, it's neat that fans will get an actual successor to the first Blair Witch instead of whatever 2 was.

• It looks... promising.

At least it will be better then the previous sequel. One of the worst decisions I ever made, watching that.

I won't see this in theaters but it didn't immediately make me angry, so depending on reviews I'll definitely see it on DVD.

• @Smartzke was blair witch 2 the one that turned into a weird pseudo-slasher halfway through?

• The original was dumb even back when it was released. I have no hopes for a sequel/remake/reboot, especially from the guy who made You're Next, which was a total garbage fire of a horror movie.