E3 2019: Xbox Discussion, Predictions, Reactions, and Analysis

• Hello everybody! Once again I'm launching the E3 threads (minus the PC Show because I feel disingenuous for creating a thread I know nothing on) one week prior to the shows to give everyone enough time to comment on what you want to see, think will happen, reactions to the conferences, and of course how you think it went.

This thread is all about Xbox, so what do you think they'll show? Next-gen talk? First party predictions? Is there anything third party you want to get stage time? What are you interested in?

Personally, I'm looking forward to Gears 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, potentially Borderlands 3, Cyberpunk 2077, and Halo Infinite out of this show.

Leave your thoughts below and I hope you have a happy E3!

• My prediction for the 14 Xbox Game Studios games shown at E3. Going from most to least confident:

Locks:

1. Gears 5
    2. Halo Infinite
    3. Minecraft Earth
    4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
    5. Sea of thieves DLC
    6. Forza Horizon 4 DLC
    7. The Outer Worlds
    8. Battletoads

Wild Cards:

1. Wasteland 3
    2. Age of Empires 4
    3. Bleeding Edge (Ninja Theory)
    4. new Killer Instinct
    5. Gears Tactics
    6. Fable 4

• @shoulderguy
    About the same for myself, although to add
    Cyberpunk releases in 2020, some kind of MS deal timed DLC or maybe a random one off quest tied into a MS IP (Steal copies of new Halo?)
    Tease of a MS character coming to Smash with more news from Nintendo on Tuesday (I'm betting on Banjo or Master Chef)
    New game announced by Rare

• The Outer Worlds isn't Xbox Game Studios

• @iboshow
    But it most likely will make an appearance on MS stage

• I think Cyberpunk is going to show up here with something in the 5-10 minute range.

I don’t think Halo Infinite is going to show up. I think Gears 5 will just be Gears.

I’m on the fence about Forza 8 appearing. They are still working out kinks in Forza 7 to make it even remotely as fun at GT Sport and Forza 7 is still a beta for Forza 8 at the moment as they add obvious features like ghosting and a penalty system. If they announce Forza 8 while Forza 7 is still struggling to implement these features, then I’ll be very alarmed.

So although I want a great Forza 8, they should probably let it cook longer.

• My interpretation of Phil's tweet is that we will see 14 games that are currently in production from Xbox Game Studios that have yet to be released, or are receiving new content.

1. The Coalition - Gears 5 (100%)
    2. 343 - Halo Infinite (100%)
    3. XGP w/Moon Studios - Ori and the Will of the Wisps (100%)
    4. Dlala w/Rare - Battletoads (100%)
    5. inXile - Wasteland 3 (100%)
    6. Obsidian - The Outer Worlds (100%)
    7. Playground - Forza Horizon 4 (100%)
    8. Mojang - Minecraft (95%)
    9. Ninja Theory - New Game Announcement (95%)
    10. XGP w/Relic - Age of Empires IV (90%)
    11. XGP w/Unknown Studio - New Game Announcement (80%)
    12. New Studio Acquisition - New Game Announcement (65%)
    13. Unknown Studio w/343 - New Game Announcement (55%)
    14. Playground - New Game Announcement (51%)

I consider the first 9 to be virtual locks; if 10-14 fail to show, the following games will appear in their place (ordered by likelihood to be present in the 2019 Xbox E3 Briefing):

• Splash Damage w/The Coalition - Gears Tactics
    • Mojang - Minecraft Dungeons
    • 343 - Halo: The Master Chief Collection
    • A Different Xbox Game Studio - New Game Announcement
    • Obsidian - Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
    • inXile - The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Director's Cut
    • Mediatonic w/The Coalition - Gears POP!

I'm still working out detailed predictions for the briefing and will try and post them later this week.

• @dmcmaster that does not mean that it's a xbox game studio game.

• @iboshow said in E3 2019: Xbox Discussion, Predictions, Reactions, and Analysis:

@dmcmaster that does not mean that it's a xbox game studio game.

14 games being made by/with studios they own or through XGP will be present; the publishing situation is irrelevant imo.

• @miserableperson That doesn't make Obsidians Outer World by Xbox Game Studio. If they count it then Phil is a lying hack.

• I'm quite excited to see Halo Infinite. Hoping it turns out well.

• I don't have much of a horse in the race in terms of first party Xbox stuff just because I don't have an Xbox One, but I'm excited to see whatever they come up with, especially third party. I just realized, we haven't heard anything about that Harry Potter game since it was leaked, have we? I have a feeling we'll see that during this conference (hopefully)

• Every day this week I want to put out my five predictions per conference (though I give some of them out in the Community Showcase this coming Thursday).

But for today, my five picks for Xbox, from least to most confident:

5.) CyberPunk 2077 will have a live-code, controller in hand, onstage demo
    4.) Battletoads will be shown, but will underwhelm
    3.) We’ll get the name (be it the codename or real name), but nothing else, about the next console to close the show
    2.) Ori and the Will of the Wisps will be dated for August
    1.) Gears 5 will open the show, followed shortly by an update on Tactics

• Apparently Rare is teasing Banjo on their Twitter, along with some company that makes statues

• Forza Horizon 4's second expansion is 007 themed, taking place on yet another island that has a cohesive story. It will also feature recreations of famous Bond car chases independent of the main location.
    • Battletoads' trailer will deliver the goods, aiming to release in early December. Much like the original the gameplay is not purely beat'em up, as its often described, but utilizes a wide variety of playstyles. The art style will win over the majority of it's current critics.
    • There will be at least one addition to Xbox Game Studios, one of the new teams will debut a previously unannounced, exclusive game.
    • Nintendo will show up on stage; they will unveil a partnership that will allow Xbox to enhance Switch games. This device will allow Nintendo to still sell hardware, their own games. It will function essentially as a more powerful dock with results akin to X enhanced 360 games. This will create the two as ideal console companions, Xcloud will also be announced to work on Switch.
    • Current PC-only exclusives like Gears Tactics and Age of Empires IV will be confirmed for Xbox consoles going forward via M&K controls. This will further strengthen their console offerings, and truly allow all of their games to be on PC, console, and XCloud.
    • Another Xbox IP will be revived with a new game, but its trailer will lead people to believe it is the first Scarlett exclusive title we have seen. The IP will be Banjo-Kazooie or Crimson Skies.
    • While people viewed last year's conference as great overall, critics felt it wasnt a great first party representation. This year, the entire conference will still be great, but their first party will be the talk of the conference.
    • Announced release dates... Forza Horizon Expansion 2 in July, Ori in August, Gears 5 in September, Wasteland 3 in October, Battletoads in December, Bleeding Edge in February.

• God fucking Damnit.
    Bleeding Edge is a 4v4 brawler. My interest in the game has gone from probably highest of all E3 to almost nonexistent.

I knew Microsoft was going to fuck this up somehow. It's Scalebound all over again.

• I'd be down for a 007 expansion for Horizon 4

• Here comes the 2

• Bleeding Edge is the last thing I wanted to see from Ninja Theory, hope they I've got something else on the works.

• @bard91 Apparently they split into two teams and this was the game that was closest to being ready.
    I have absolutely zero interest in this Anarchy Reigns ripoff, but am eager to see what the other team is working on.