E3 2019: Xbox Discussion, Predictions, Reactions, and Analysis
iboshow last edited by
@miserableperson That doesn't make Obsidians Outer World by Xbox Game Studio. If they count it then Phil is a lying hack.
bam541 last edited by
I'm quite excited to see Halo Infinite. Hoping it turns out well.
Jamicov last edited by
I don't have much of a horse in the race in terms of first party Xbox stuff just because I don't have an Xbox One, but I'm excited to see whatever they come up with, especially third party. I just realized, we haven't heard anything about that Harry Potter game since it was leaked, have we? I have a feeling we'll see that during this conference (hopefully)
Brannox last edited by
Every day this week I want to put out my five predictions per conference (though I give some of them out in the Community Showcase this coming Thursday).
But for today, my five picks for Xbox, from least to most confident:
5.) CyberPunk 2077 will have a live-code, controller in hand, onstage demo
4.) Battletoads will be shown, but will underwhelm
3.) We’ll get the name (be it the codename or real name), but nothing else, about the next console to close the show
2.) Ori and the Will of the Wisps will be dated for August
1.) Gears 5 will open the show, followed shortly by an update on Tactics
Apparently Rare is teasing Banjo on their Twitter, along with some company that makes statues
MiserablePerson last edited by
- Forza Horizon 4's second expansion is 007 themed, taking place on yet another island that has a cohesive story. It will also feature recreations of famous Bond car chases independent of the main location.
- Battletoads' trailer will deliver the goods, aiming to release in early December. Much like the original the gameplay is not purely beat'em up, as its often described, but utilizes a wide variety of playstyles. The art style will win over the majority of it's current critics.
- There will be at least one addition to Xbox Game Studios, one of the new teams will debut a previously unannounced, exclusive game.
- Nintendo will show up on stage; they will unveil a partnership that will allow Xbox to enhance Switch games. This device will allow Nintendo to still sell hardware, their own games. It will function essentially as a more powerful dock with results akin to X enhanced 360 games. This will create the two as ideal console companions, Xcloud will also be announced to work on Switch.
- Current PC-only exclusives like Gears Tactics and Age of Empires IV will be confirmed for Xbox consoles going forward via M&K controls. This will further strengthen their console offerings, and truly allow all of their games to be on PC, console, and XCloud.
- Another Xbox IP will be revived with a new game, but its trailer will lead people to believe it is the first Scarlett exclusive title we have seen. The IP will be Banjo-Kazooie or Crimson Skies.
- While people viewed last year's conference as great overall, critics felt it wasnt a great first party representation. This year, the entire conference will still be great, but their first party will be the talk of the conference.
- Announced release dates... Forza Horizon Expansion 2 in July, Ori in August, Gears 5 in September, Wasteland 3 in October, Battletoads in December, Bleeding Edge in February.
El Shmiablo Banned last edited by
God fucking Damnit.
Bleeding Edge is a 4v4 brawler. My interest in the game has gone from probably highest of all E3 to almost nonexistent.
I knew Microsoft was going to fuck this up somehow. It's Scalebound all over again.
I'd be down for a 007 expansion for Horizon 4
Here comes the 2
Bleeding Edge is the last thing I wanted to see from Ninja Theory, hope they I've got something else on the works.
El Shmiablo Banned last edited by
@bard91 Apparently they split into two teams and this was the game that was closest to being ready.
I have absolutely zero interest in this Anarchy Reigns ripoff, but am eager to see what the other team is working on.
ok now that they have Double Fine on their side on top of Obsidian, I have to pay attention to MS.
Sorry I caught glimpse of it at work, did I see PSO2?
@dmcmaster yes you did.
bam541 last edited by bam541
I have to say... not as good as last year, but it's a pretty good conference. First thing first, the surprises. The Cyberpunk 2077 segment was top notch, I'm so glad that the cursed leakers didn't spoil that... Can't say that for Tales and Elden Ring though. Man, those two would be explosive surprises... I hate leaks so much.
The one big fault that's not due to leaks is the Gears section. That was meh at best for me. The girl face trailer sucked, the Escape trailer sucked, the pre order thing was weird.
I think the Indie game selections are on point again for the most part. Spiritfairer or whatever is so beautiful, would love to play that. 12 Minutes is so cool.
The Xbox Game Studios stuff are pretty solid. Halo Infinite, Microsoft Flight Simulator, and the Double Fine announcement were the best parts of it for me.
Overall, I think Xbox did okay this time. The problem of their lacking first party stuff is still prevalent here for me understandably. Definitely will be a while until their new studios get to the good stuff.
Also, I'm so happy that they're toning the "console exclusive" narrator voice down. "World premiere" is all I need.
About God damn fucking time
bam541 last edited by
Brannox last edited by
Going to go section by section, but I'm in conflict:
I think the show started decently. The Outer Worlds had a good trailer, Bleeding Edge did the best it could, and I love anything and everything Ori.... except spiders.... so this trailer hurt. But happy to have a date now.
Minecraft Dungeons is an interesting concept because its not the typical format. Not for me, but at least its something different.
After the welcome speech, I liked the additional Jedi: Fallen Order footage, Blair Witch getting announced (while not for me) was a good tone setter.
Then of course the best part of the entire conference for me by a MILE: CyberPunk 2077's CG Trailer and of course the Keanu Reveals. LOVED his time onstage, as it really felt like he loved being there. Also, a definitive date. Hell yes.
However, the rest of the conference into a decline (albeit a very gentle sloping one) for me.
Spiritfarer, Battletoads, The Legend of Wright, the ID @ Xbox montage, Sarah Bond (Head of Xbox Partnerships) talking about GamePass, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Age of Empires II Definitive Edition, and Wasteland 3 from InExile was a largely forgettable experience
Though ANOTHER Xbox purchase, this time being Double Fine was an eyebrow raiser. But outside of this little break, another short stretch of personal misses: Star Wars Lego The SkyWalker Saga, DragonBall Kakarot, 12 Minutes, and Way to the Woods.
I'm a die-hard Gears fan. That was not a good presentation.
- The Kait trailer was pointless
- Announcing a release date (Sept 10 is neat!), beta date, when they'll show Horde felt out of order
- While Escape maybe an interesting concept, I don't have two friends into Gears as I am, that trailer wasn't good, the under the stage shot (while a nice concept) proves, ONCE AGAIN, gimmicky stage stuff doesn't work.
- Why were there wrestlers there? And WHY is there a Terminator Dark Fate character pack?!
While did try to pick up from this point (the new Elite controller, Dying Light 2's trailer, and the absolutely JOLLY LEGO Speed Champions DLC with Forza Horizon 4), it lost itself with Gears Pop and State of Decay 2: Heartland.
While I have ZERO familiarity with Phantasy Star Online, but I recognized PSO 2 coming Westward is a BIG deal.
Crossfire X felt like it was supposed to be a big announcement, but the reality was different.
Tales of Arise would've been a nice surprise. But ya know, it's E3 times. So. Leaks. TRIPLY so for Elden Ring.
Borderlands 3 had a nice trailer and the weird Borderlands 2 DLC announcement, but at least it's free.
While I expected the end of conference talk about xCloud and Project Scarlett, having it confirmed for Holiday 2020 and Halo: Infinite (with a decent trailer) launching on it was necessary.
Overall, I went 1.5/5 on my predictions, and while I recognize I had very few announcements for me, there was a lot for others. But that Gears 5 segment just landed with a wet thud.
Mbun last edited by
Battletoads didn't live up to my expectations. DM me if you know where I can get the music for that deer game.
B-Cell last edited by
Cyberpunk 2077 looks actually better than last year underwhelming release. it looks cool now.
Dying light 2 looks excellent. shame its pushed back to 2020.
was disappoint that no surprise or new announcement or gameplay.