E3 2019: Bethesda Discussion, Predictions, Reactions, and Analysis

• @axel
    You mean Seinfeld, the scifi RPG that they confirmed to not be at the show either.
    Although I think there was a rumor floating that Arkane was going to show something

• Since I don't think BGS has anything to show yet, it might put pressure on other devs in their family to show new stuff (if they care about making this E3 show worthwhile), regardless of readiness. New game from Tango is likely. Also, mew Arkane project please. I really enjoyed Dishonored 2 and Prey, a new game in either IP would be great. Maybe a Fallout/Elder Scrolls remastered game too?

• For my second day of predictions, I came up with the following (Least to most confident):

5.) Arkane Lyon's (France) next project teased, but we won't really know much about the gameplay
    4.) Wolfenstein Youngblood will have a demo showing off much of the beginning
    3.)The conference will be less than one hour IF there are no updates on Legends, Blades, ESO, & Quake Champions. Of which I hope not, because to be honest, the updates aren't really worth it.
    2.) DOOM Eternal is the centerpiece of the show (as in the big blowout they'll end on), and be dated for May 12, 2020. Bethesda has a history of spring May releases (DOOM - 2016, Prey - 2017, Rage 2 this year), and everybody seems to have the Mandela effect it's coming this year. While it still might, there has NOT been an official statement it would be. I'm hoping for one Sunday saying this year, but 2020 feels more likely.
    1.) Pete Hines opens with addressing Fallout 76, either as a self-deprecating joke or a serious mea culpa for about three to five minutes.

• Apparently Fallout Shelter 2 might be a thing

• I think this show maybe better than how I'm feeling right now, and it DID get better the longer it went, but I still have frustrations regarding this despite the fact I think it was better than their last two shows.

Having Pete Hines and Todd Howard come out immediately is what I expected, but it wasn't the mea culpa I was anticipating. I WILL give them credit on Fallout being the first thing they talked about, and the sheer amount they're doubling down in their content with Wastelanders and Nuclear Winter, both of which are free.

GhostWire: Tokyo I think maybe the announcement of the show. I'm personally not into it, but of the two announcements, I think this one was presented a little bit better.

I loved the two montage trailers involving the fans, but fans are my biggest problem with this show. I'm left with disdain about the entire Elder Scrolls Online segment, all because the fans who would NOT shut up. Making it about themselves, interrupting the flow of the presentation, stop-starting the script, just being outright obnoxious. They make the case to bring back the pre-recorded video.

Commander Keen was a weird announcement and I don't know how to quite feel about it. I guess I'm leaning more on the negative because of it being a mobile game, but I don't necessarily have anything against it.

Rage 2's DLC trailer set as an 80s sitcom opening matched the game's tone, but it was a forgettable one as I can't even remember what was shown off. It hasn't been an hour since I've seen it. That's not good.

It was at this point the show went on an upward trajectory as Wolfenstein Youngblood, the newly announced DeathLoop, the talk about Bethesda's own streaming tech (Orion) and of course the dedicated closer in DOOM: Eternal pulled this show out.

As a whole, there are more positive than negative moments, but the down moments could have been packaged better (and in the fan's case, maybe have the presenter tell him he still had stuff to go through)

I went 2.5/5 on predictions and I think this was a 7/10 conference.

• I think I even enjoyed EA more than Bethesda this year. This is easily my E3 low so far. Ikumi introducing GhostWire and the Doom Eternal hype couldn't carry me through the obnoxious audience, Bethesda caving to no human NPCs in Fallout 76, exploiting people who find solace in games to spin your company's image, DRAGONZ R AWESUM GUIZE!, murder humans Nazis murder humans Nazis murder humans Nazis, and your favorite franchise is back ...kind of ...on mobile! 2.0.

• Bethesda is tone deaf. Wasn’t a fan of the show. DOOM looks great, Ghost seems intriguing. Bethesda themselves need an ethos check.

• @dipset pretty much agree, Bethesda as a publisher has some good studios, but specifically as a developer I think I've lost all interest in them.

• I was falling asleep during Bethesda

• I think it's their best E3 show since 2015, which doesn't say much but I think it's decent. Highlights are:

• Ghostwire Tokyo. This looks so sick, like a cross between Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding. I'm in love with the concept that trailer presented. Also, the jolly game director (can't remember her name, sorry) was absolutely awesome.
    • Deathloop. The oldie groovy style really got me, and while I don't understand what it is yet it's already very intriguing.
    • Doom Eternal. More great gameplay, more fun.

Most of the conference is just updates to things I'm not really interested in so naturally they don't really grab me. There's nothing that offends me, it's just meh. Obviously they're speaking to their most hardcore fans, which I am not currently. Wolfenstein stuff looks great but nothing really new to show. I do have to admit that the Fallout 76 segment made me want to check the game out again, it's a pretty good hype up segment. Absolute low point for me is that silly Elder Scrolls Legends trailer.

Also, the crowds are still too crazy. Appreciate the enthusiasm though. Or should that be in quotations?

6/10

• Doom Eternal is only saving grace otherwise terrible conference.

dont know what ghostwire game looks like and no idea. although presentator was cute. arkane new game looks like multiplayer ie waste of time
    why are people clapping at fallout 76 and elder scrolls online? they must be bethesda employess.

• The people clapping during TES Online and Fallout 76 are the same people that pay good money to see their hometown team lose 20-0 for a decade straight and still go to the games.

I swear Bethesda tried to make some revisionist history with this press conference glossing over how much they jerked around customers and how this game is suddenly amazing (I have yet to hear anybody tell me that).

• Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein: Youngblood look great. I like the previous games in each series so no surprise there.

Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo have potential. It's just way to early to say. If any developer is going to show their game at E3, Don't forget about bringing the most important part; Gameplay.

• @shoulderguy

There have been a TON of CG or "Cinematic" trailers this year. Its a bit disappointing but they don't seem to be misleading at least.

I forgot about Youngblood. I actually want to play that more than DOOM Eternal. I still need to play Wolf 2 but might just skip to Youngblood.

• @dipset Did it not seem a bit much? Like, as if the loud ones were obviously planted to make it look like people are happy with these products so as to convince people watching that these games are accepted now?

• @e_zed_eh_intern

I’m not gonna put my conspiracy hat on and say these people were planted, but I have yet to hear anybody in-person nor online speak about Fallout 76 like it’s become some amazing game all of a sudden.

I think most Fallout fans feel betrayed by the game and let down. That’s the narrative, that’s the fact, and that’s the way I personally feel. Championing a few people who are die hard loyal, doesn’t change that narrative. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they were just some loyal enthusiastic fans but damn it seems suspicious.

Not to mention, don’t most people scoff at The Elder Scrolls Online? I’ve heard nothing but bad things about it at launch and it’s obviously been years since, but the positive reaction to the TES stuff seemed even MORE suspicious than the Fallout 76 stuff because they had camera cuts to people celebrating and outright screaming in joy. I have TV experience, it takes 2 seconds to cut to a reaction, I’m not saying these people were plants, but damn it all seemed weird to me. Like it was the opposite of how we all feel.