Marvel's Avengers (Square Enix)

• This is actually starting to look a bit better with the Gameplay overview they released today. Still not 100% sold but looks like it could be fun.
    Youtube Video

• I'll have to watch this later with sound but I'm glad this game is slowly winning some people over. I think the beta will make or break this one, if its fun to play I think some positive word of mouth could really help this game get over the poor first impression it gave a lot of people. If the beta isn't well received those that were turned off will see that as validation of their first impressions.

I'm personally still excited to give it a try, hoping for the best.

• That was a pretty great idea, thanks for posting it! Other than Iron Man's slow-looking flying everything else looks really good to me. I mean I'd be happy even with "just" a new Ultimate Alliance looking like this, but this does seem to go much further, luckily.

The beta dates from the previous IGN link:
    August 7 - PlayStation preorder beta access begins
    August 14 - Xbox and PC Preorder beta access begins, PlayStation open beta also begins
    August 21 - Open beta across all platforms begins

One thing I'm wondering - not just with this one, but with a bunch of other games as well - is that how will that upgrade system from PS4 to PS5 work if people buy a disc version? Like I tend to do. I've been scratching my head about that whole idea. Like, the stores won't just give me a free PS5 version if I bring them my PS4 disc, right? What am I missing?

• @sentinel-beach
    I'm guessing it will work like the cross buy games at the start of the generation where Avengers PS5 will be downloadable on your system, but you'll still need to pop the disc in.

• @sentinel-beach Game discs are literally just base installation files and an authentication code.
    You will insert the game into your PS5 and play it.

• Console exclusive content usually doesn't bother me, but this is pretty fucked

• @capnbobamous Ye that's yucky.

• @capnbobamous I get it, Sony owns the movie rights, not sure about game rights but I guess this isn't super surprising to me. I'd kinda hope it's only time exclusive, and I might be more upset if the other version get a different hero. More so if I like that hero.

• @themarcv
    Sony only has movie rights, although I have a feeling this is a 4D chess move in regards to Spidey's movie rights.

• @dmcmaster Honestly, I'm not a big spider man fan so I actually would rather not have spider man in this game. Probably more so because I think he'll play like a lesser version on his PS4 game self. I assume he'll have the same swing mechanic we saw Black Widow use and that animation is a far cry from what we got in the PS4 game.

• I find it funny about the backlash for Spidey. There were always exclusive characters for Xbox and PS with other multiplatform titles. It's not a new thing.

• @scotty Yeah, I mean I do understand it. Mostly cuz like you said other games have done this as well but I think what makes this a little weirder is Sony doesn't like own that character. It's one thing when Kratos is in MK or Shovel Knight because that is Sony's IP, Spider Man isn't.
    That all being said this stuff happens, if its enough for anyone to now not want to buy and play the game more power to them, let your voice be heard. I however kinda feel a lotta people weren't impressed with the game out of the gate and had written it off. This new development just gives them more justification to that stance. "See, I knew this game was garbage and was gonna screw over the fans." If I've learned anything about some of the gamer's is they love to have hot takes and then be vindicated by that hot take. Lot less of them seem more open minded to having their opinions changed. Just my two cents.

• @themarcv

Like you said; I bet the players who will buy this game before this news won't change their decision just because of this. The voices we heard come from the people who weren't even going to buy it. That makes it even more funnier and hard to take serious.

@themarcv said in Marvel's Avengers (Square Enix):

I think what makes this a little weirder is Sony doesn't like own that character

I think they kind of own it when they want to if they can make an exclusive like 2018 game. And they probably use that force again while Avengers is already promotioned mostly with PS side.

• I think Disney is honestly just scared to upset Sony.
    Sony be like "Oh, we can't have Spidey exclusive to Playstation in the new Avengers game? Maybe we were a little hastey on letting you use Spidey in the MCU"

• @el-shmiablo For sure, I imagine this stuff was part of the letting spider man back into the MCU. I wonder if I was a big spider-man fan but didn't bite on getting a PS4 if this and the Spider Man game would be enough to convince me. Inversely, if the tables were turned and lets just say microsoft had the movie rights to X-Men and they just announced Wolverine as exclusive to Xbox One I'd be disappointed that I wouldn't be able to play them but Id still get the game.

• @scotty To be clear - you think there are zero people on PC or Xbox who are genuinely upset about the situation enough to affect their purchasing decision?

• @themarcv
    I said this earlier but it is most likely a move to placate or use on them later when they eventually go back to negotiating Spider-man's film rights in 2025-2026 or whenever Spider-man's last two contractually obligated MCU movies release (Run From Home and allegedly either a Doctor Strange or Captain Marvel team up flick) I can see someone at Marvel using Spidey being a timed exclusive for The Avengers game as something to bring up in negotiations. And I will maintain that Spider-man is more then likely timed, because you know what's supposed to come out in 2021? Spider-man: Home 3 (or as I've been calling it Run From Home)

• @dmcmaster I hope your right, time exclusives are much easier to swallow. You make a good point about timing that with the next movie release, however I do question if that movie is still on schedule with all the Covid delays with filming.

• @themarcv
    I did say it was supposed to, assuming the Uncharted movie (which started production about a month ago) doesn't have any further delays Spider-man 3 could just barely make it into 2021's release calendar assuming it releases in Fall/Winter instead of Summer, seeing as Marvel movies seem to finishing filming in 6-9 months of shooting.