Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)

• Reviews are coming in. Essential from Eurogamer etc. Currently 93 on OpenCritic. Seems good!
    https://opencritic.com/game/7409/animal-crossing-new-horizons

• Update Ver.1.1.0 is now available for preload ...or download if you somehow got an early copy of the game.

Some things to note from this website surrounding the future of this game:

Even though this update contains the data for the Easter Event, you actually will have to download another minimal update when the real life event period for Bunny Day starts to trigger the event itself. This will require you to have your Nintendo Switch set to Synchronize with Internet Time, further disallowing people changing their Switch dates or "time traveling" to access the event early or after it ends in real time. The website goes on to clarify that once you download this unlocking update, you may then use your Nintendo Switch in places with no internet access to play the event as normal.

Also contained in this update is a bonus rug that only Nintendo Switch Online members can order from Nook's shop as well as the Pocket Camp crosspromotion stuff that they'll detail how to obtain at a later date, but it sounds like you'll also be ordering these through the shop. Both of these actions will also require you to be connected to the internet at time of first ordering them, but after that you can reorder them without needing the internet access.

Update also enables online play with others and use of the Nintendo Switch Online App with the game.

Lastly, the update contains a little bonus item for everyone who updates their game.

So it looks like future Event Updates will be multi part processes. First an update some time ahead the Event itself to add the data to the game, then another update at the real life period the event should be running to unlock it, which will be the only time you're able to access the event and only if you have your Nintendo Switch set to Synchronize with Internet Time on a Profile with a Nintendo Account linked to it.

Which is... alot. That's way more strict than I was hoping for. It is honestly very far to go to prevent time travelers from accessing content early, and I wish once the event had passed, they would freely let us travel back to them in case we missed them, but it seems as though that will not be possible. We also know now that they'll from time to time distro special items for Nintendo Switch Online members only. Anyways, what do yall think?

Edit: Friend who snagged an early copy informed me that this new patch added support for his USB Keyboard!

• I am happy to inform that Animal Crossing is still the embodiment of joy. Even the few hours I played tonight drastically improved my outlook on life. Nothing cures quarantine blues quite like the cozy vibes of Animal Crossing.

• Hello
    This is my first animal crossing game and i don't have any friends on switch, please add me if you can .

Friend Code : SW-5123-7862-0911

• this is my first animal crossing game too. Friend Code is 0754-4861-5214

fixed*

• I literally played till 2am last night. This game is everything we need right now, and then some.

• @yoshi i cannot add you, can you recheck you friend code.

• @a7x458 added. crap it was 4861 my bad

• Okay I added both of you.

• Just two easy allies.

0_1585025540381_CoW0lxt_d.jpg

• I want to introduce my girlfriend to video games. She usually understands whats going on as I explain things to her. I mean, she was even keeping up with my Divinity Original Sin II session the other night, but playing them by yourself is a whole other thing. She got laid off because of Covid-19 so there's time to blow. She's only really ever gotten into Harvest Moon but she isn't sure which one. She thinks Stardew Valley looks pretty cute but I've never played it so I can't vouch for it. but it looks lowkey kinda complicated.

Assuming Animal Crossing New Horizon is being given to somebody who has barely ever played video games, would you recommend it or is it maybe too aimless?

• @dipset said:

She thinks Stardew Valley looks pretty cute but I've never played it so I can't vouch for it. but it looks lowkey kinda complicated.

Stardew isn't that complicated. It is pretty chill. Also, you should point her towards Rune Factory 4 Special.

Assuming Animal Crossing New Horizon is being given to somebody who has barely ever played video games, would you recommend it

Yeah, they can leisurely figure it out with no consequences.

or is it maybe too aimless?

The old ones were more aimless. This one gives you an insane amount of stuff to do at all times, but the first couple days of gameplay are pretty slow while stuff unlocks and such, so you should get her New Horizons and Stardew or Rune Factory, which don't go by real time, so she can play those straight for a long time from the start.

• @mbun

I might buy her Animal Crossing for her birthday next week then. Maybe pair that up with something else just in case she doesn't like video games after all...

Thanks!

• I'd just like to second the fact that Stardew isn't that complicated. Sure, there is a lot of stuff to do in it, but it can all be done at your own pace. I'd recommend it especially because she used to play Harvest Moon.

• @capnbobamous its been like that forever people have such short memories

• Bit of a tutorial I think others might find useful later.