Forum Charter: Read before posting!

• Global Moderator

Hey allies, here is a basic charter/guidelines to work with when using the forums!

• New Posters - There is a five minute posting rule for new posters until they have reached a certain level of reputation. This is to help reduce the number of spam. If you are a new poster, it's best to go to Welcome to the Easy Allies Forums! to introduce yourself and get some upvotes.

• General behaviour - The most important thing is to treat everyone respectfully. This is a very positive and diverse community. Any form of bullying, disrespecting another user or use of derogatory language will be penalised.

• Stay on Topic - As long as everyone in a thread is happy, this shouldn't really be an issue. On rare occasions when a thread has been completely derailed we might try to steer it back on course or lock it up.

• On requesting streams or shows - This used to be an explicit no but since things have calmed down now it's at least okay to post some kind of suggestions as opposed to requested something be streamed. We need to remember that the allies are already extremely busy and like us, have lives to live. If things get out of hand, we'll revert back to not allowing it.

• Piracy - Discussion on piracy/emulation is to be expected however any sign of promoting piracy, illegal ROMs or just questioning others for buying games instead of pirating will not be tolerated.

• List thread - This is a little flexible as you can have a lot of fun with list threads however it’s always better to add some discussion to these threads. They usually go over old ground (Top 10 SNES games etc) and rarely involve any discussion. We're happy as long as there is a mix of lists and discussion in them.

• Debate the post, don't attack the poster - Don't forget that behind that post is someone who wrote it like you. There is no need to be insulting or derogatory towards that person. Forums are all about discussion and debating so always remember to discuss/argue the subject.

• Spoilers - Again, this is another grey area. No one likes to be spoiled so make sure to spoiler tag any story related elements for relatively new media. E.g Anything released in the current year.
      As a guideline for shows by the Easy Allies, you should spoiler tag posts the day that show releases. Some people could open the thread without knowing a new episode released.
      E.g Tabletop Escapades comes out on Wednesday, posts containing story elements should use a spoiler tag on that day.

• Trolling - If you see a poster that you think is trolling, do not respond to that poster. Flag the posts and let a moderator know. Responding only leads to more derailing and is exactly what a troll wants.

• Quoting Articles - When quoting an article, only quote the parts you think are most appropriate. It generally leads to an easier to read post and taking a full article does a disservice to the person who wrote it. Best practice is to quote a paragraph or two, highlight whatever you find interesting and link the article.

• Rumors - It's always fun to discuss the latest gaming rumors. Just to distinguish these threads from others please start the thread title as shown in the example.
      E.g [Rumor] - .....

• Self Promotion - We look at each topic that self promotes or advertises on an individual basis. Any topic that this applies to should be posted in the Blogs channel as it's the most appropriate.

The most important thing to remember is if you see any bad behaviour, please make sure to flag the post, user or let a mod know and we’ll get to it as soon as we can.

If there is anything you have a concern with or would like to see added/highlighted more in the charter, please PM a mod and we can discuss any issues.

Love & Respect.

• The stance on Piracy is a little weird. Can we discuss emulators themselves, as long as we do not show where to get games? I mean, Bosman himself uses an emulator for BvW, though he does show that he owns the game already.

• I gotta agree with no discussion on where to get pirated material, but it seems odd to say no discussion allowed at all.

• admin

@ObbyDent said in Forum Charter: Read before posting!:

The stance on Piracy is a little weird. Can we discuss emulators themselves, as long as we do not show where to get games? I mean, Bosman himself uses an emulator for BvW, though he does show that he owns the game already.

The main idea is not to promote places to get illegal ROMs, not to champion piracy as some way to get back at "greedy" developers, and not to treat people like they're idiots for buying games when they can just install a bunch of ROMs on their phone.

As Frank Cifaldi would say though, emulation itself isn't piracy. There are certainly projects out there that warrant intelligent discussion. Things like preservation efforts, digging into the code to learn more about how a game works, or sharing a story about some humorous modifications are ok, but there's a clear line between that and simply telling people how they can avoid paying for legitimate copies.

• I have a qiestion about swearing. Is it completely allowed, allowed but discouraged, completely forbidden or is it ok, as long as you're not being a dick?
    I try to avoid swearing, especially in my blogs, but it would be much easier for me to just write it and move on and not looking for suitable replacement word.

• Global Moderator

@Nillend

Broadly speaking it's somewhere inbetween options 1, 2, and 4. Most swear words will be fine, but context is definitely important. Avoid epithets of a charged nature, and show your fellow members love and respect by not insulting/swearing at them and everything should be hunky dory..

• I like the List Thread guideline.

I wish there is something for Forum Games though.

• Global Moderator

@Whoaness

What did you have in mind? There's certainly no opposition to having forum games

• What's wrong with forum games? I love to kill your babies... I love Kill Your Babies.
    Tbh I also don't see what's wrong with listing threads either, don't like it don't click on it.
    Please don't let this forum become like The Escapist's where every thread must start a deep discussion, can't even just talk about a newly announced game there because it's not good to create deep discussions.
    I like this forum so far, which you can see on how civil I act.

• @Ochi With the list thread guideline, they are in the same vein as they could have no discussion. Look at the latest Kill Your Babies thread. Just a bunch of posts marking off a game each post until there's one left, then someone makes another version to do it all over again.

If people are going to make these games, at least make them intelligent. For example, the latest podcast played a Devil's Advocate game made by an ally where the podcast members had to actually talk for more than a dozen words. They should at least get people to have more discussion.

I was even thinking about a suggestion to create a new category for those things, but I wasn't going to since it's not too populated yet.

@Musou-Tensei The problem arises when game discussion and news discussion gets buried under all the list and forum game threads.

I don't want to see the forum with the top 20 threads in Gaming Discussion are all lists and forum games.

• Oof. Poor lists. Though I understand that rule. Rest in piece in pieces.

• @Whoaness said in Forum Charter: Read before posting!:

I don't want to see the forum with the top 20 threads in Gaming Discussion are all lists and forum games.

If they are at the top, the people seem to like them. They are fun, and easy to participate in, so I can see why they are popular.

"Just a bunch of posts marking off a game each post until there's one left, then someone makes another version to do it all over again."
    Thats the point of the game. And we like it.
    I like them because it offers a lot of opinions quickly and systematically. If you want an intelligent discussion, then post a suitable thread and I'm sure the community will give you one.
    If you don't like a thread,then don't participate. A lot of use like it though. I avoid most of Nintendo and Playstation discussions because I usually don't care about the topic and I don't feel I could contribute anything meaningful. You don't have to take part in every list or forum game.

• @Nillend That's like saying don't come to this forum.

• @Whoaness I'm saying that you don't need to be a part of threads that you're not interested into.

• @Nillend And what I said was if a majority on this forum plays forum games and makes list threads, that's just telling me not be a part of any thread.

I already have non-gaming on ignore, and I requested the separation of gaming and non-gaming just to filter out a lot of the noise, but now the noise just came back in another form. Maybe that's how it is and I'll ignore gaming as well. We'll see.

• Global Moderator

The forums are still a very new thing so we'll see what people like and what works best for everyone.

As is said in the charter, we'll be pretty lenient on how list threads work.

Personally I'm fine with the 'forum game' threads and list threads but I always like a comment. It doesn't need to be a highly articulated essay.

If nothing else it adds a bit of personality to the poster.

• @Whoaness said in Forum Charter: Read before posting!:

@Nillend And what I said was if a majority on this forum plays forum games and makes list threads, that's just telling me not be a part of any thread.

So you rather have a less active forum as long more threads are to your liking?

I wouldn't mind a Forum Game Section though of course (which you could completely ignore then and shouldn't bother you in the slightest), many forums have that.
    To me personally though sections are irrelevant, my bookmark to this forum is the Unread Threads page which lists me all threads that got new content since my last visit including new threads, that is always my prefered method to browse a forum. And once I read everything that interested me I mark the whole forum as read.

• @Musou-Tensei Activity is irrelevant to me if it's about forum games. I'd like discussion about games, not forum games.

For example, I didn't like I Am Setsuna, but there was no place to discuss it here as no one made a discussion. I had to engage in discussion on EZA twitch chat and other forums. I Am Setsuna is a hyped release for EZA, since a lot of them are hyped for it, but no one seems to care to make a thread even related to I Am Setsuna.

• @Whoaness Then why didn't you made an I Am Setsuna thread yourself?

• @Musou-Tensei I'd say that's probably best reserved for someone who has more positive things to say about it, you know? It probably wouldn't be the best for someone who didn't like a game to start a thread about it, especially in a community where that game's been actively hyped up for a bit (and considering that, I'm surprised nobody made a good thread for it either). Starting out a thread with the negative and having other users instantly arguing against the main post probably wouldn't be the most positive way to start a topic about a game, as opposed to vice-versa.