Comic Con Reveal Trailers!

• Well like so many comic cons before, this one has given us some new trailers, both great, and not?

Just curious which ones everyone liked and which ones fell flat for people.

Personally I adored the Wonder Woman trailer. There was color! And I still love that theme music.
    I also loved the Lego Batman one and Doctor Strange. Justice League fell short for me though. It ended weirdly, and Cyborg didn't look... finished.

On the TV side, Legion looks great. I can't wait to see a different sort of Marvel show. And American Gods continues to impress me.

• I was shocked, SHOCKED at how much I liked the Justice League trailer.

There's just so much GOOD STUFF out there for comic book cans right now, it's nuts!

• I don't think there was a single movie trailer released that I didn't like.

Wonder Woman, amazing.
    Justice League, pretty neat.
    Kong: Skull Island, pretty rad.
    King Arthur, surprisingly interesting.
    Fantastic Beasts, nostalgia kicked in.

But Doctor. Strange 100% takes the cake for me. That movie might end up giving me a new favorite superhero.

• @Krauser Doctor Strange out Inceptioned Inception, and King Arthur looks way more fun than it should be. I thought Guy Ritchie doing a Guy Ritchie thing in medieval times would be irritating, but no. It's amazing!

• @Sazime said in Comic Con Reveal Trailers!:

I thought Guy Ritchie doing a Guy Ritchie thing in medieval times would be irritating, but no. It's amazing!

I agree. I literally clicked that trailer going "Oh boy, here we go". But then that first sequence of Arthur telling that story, with the Go Pro shots and the freeze frames and rewinds, that immediately caught my attention.
    Modern style in the King Arthur story seems to work based on this trailer, so definitely interested in the movie now.

• @Sazime The Arthur trailer did surprise me. I was not surprised when Guy Ritchie's name came up, that beginning reminded me so much of Lock Stock.
    I know Hollywood is gonna remake old stories, so I am always happy with a different take on the material. I think I might wanna see that movie now. The trailer did it's job well.

The Justice League wasn't bad, but it felt off for me. The ending was just abrupt, like they missed a scene. It should have ended with a scene of Aquaman being a badass after that joke.

But it is still a great time to be a geek :)

• @Krauser That first Doctor Strange trailer did nothing for me, at least didn't make me anymore excited then I naturally am for any new Marvel movie.
    This one though really got the magic across well and I loved that there was still humor in there. That cape though! It was such a cool scene when he put it on!

• More excited for Legion than anything else. Si Spurrier's X-Men: Legacy is one of my favourite modern comic books and it seems like the show is based more on that than any of Legion's other appearances, so I'm pumped. I've also heard great things about Fargo, though I haven't watched it myself yet.

Doctor Strange looks cool, though I could have done without the trademark Marvel humour at the end of the trailer.

Still not crazy about Gal Gadot in the role of Wonder Woman, but the movie itself seems pretty sweet. Justice League, I could take or leave.

• All the trailers were pretty alright, but that Wonder Woman trailer really did it for me. Can't wait for that film.

• I wouldn't really call Justice League a trailer, since they just started filming like a month ago or so. It was a welcome surprise that WB allowed it to be shown, as it usually would be locked behind the Comic Con elitism wall. Loved WW though, and King Arthur looked kinda fun. Kong was definitely kaijuverse.

• Only saw King Arthur, Wonder Woman, and Justice League trailers.

Wonder Woman looks the strongest. Not sure if there's much there in terms of story, but it has some neat visuals and seems to be committing pretty hard to its period which I like, even if its representation seems a little generic.

Justice League looks like they should have waited another month or two before putting out a trailer. I imagine footage is still being pulled in, and it just looks like a bunch of actors in a box talking with each other. I didn't get much of a shape of the story apart from recruitment---of which there weren't really any surprises. Looks lame, but I think it's just at the point where they can't show the good stuff yet.

King Arthur looks bad to me. Ritchie isn't a bad filmmaker exactly, but his aggressively quirky and slick style always came across as a box of limited tricks rather than an effort to elevate the material. The trailer opens with snorricam, has his token slow-mo long-lens close-ups, and his narration-led shenanigans, but otherwise looks like a generic fantasy film with plastic-y monsters and sweeping computer camera shots.

• @BatViking I have to say my biggest surprise this year is how many trailers we got to see. Usually they try to keep these con exclusives until we inevitably get the terrible cam footage. I'm happy to see studios learning the lesson that it's better for them to release it than some random guy. Also nice for those of us who can't afford comic-con.

• @Inustar Still a step too short however, I wish they'd drop this elitist attitude and livestream the panels. It's like they're calling us fake fans for not spending potentionally thousands of dollars to travel cross-country or across the world, even. Streaming ensures that the people who pay to go there get to see stuff, too. Lines for DC and Marvel stuff're legendary long and hard to get into, this way everyone gets to be in on the fun. Without spending days in a line. I feel like they think some kind of grassroot advertising activities are going to happen from showing stuff to maybe a few hundred people.

• @BatViking I don't get it either. They could make ALL the money.
    alt text

It would not stop people from going to the Con.

• @BatViking said in Comic Con Reveal Trailers!:

Kong was definitely kaijuverse.

Kong vs. Godzilla, let's f#*!ing go!

• I sperged out hard over the Wonder Woman trailer. Comics first lady kicking ass in World War 1? Soooo good.

• @Krauser I am curious to see the size difference between those two.

• @Inustar Yeah true. But judging from what I saw so far in the Kong: Skull Island trailer, it looks like our ape has grown a ton, so they might be on the same level now.

• Most of them were fine. I liked Fantastic Beasts and Doctor Strange the most. King Arthur might be ok dumb fun.

Wonder Woman did nothing for me though. Partially because I don't really care at all for that character, but also because I don't like Gal Gadot and the overall image of the movie that trailer painted.
    Justice League is directed by Zack Snyder so that is already a massive turnoff for me and the trailer did nothing to win me over.

• @Krauser I saw an article awhile back that said Kong was going to be 100 ft versus Godzilla at 300ft. I hope that gets changed, because otherwise that is not going to work for a real fight.