Nintendo Switch Lite

• Youtube Video

The long-rumoured Lite version of the Switch has finally been revealed.

Release date: September 20th.

Price: $199.99.

Colors: Yellow, Gray and Turquoise.

Nintendo Switch Lite has integrated controls and is smaller than the flagship version of Nintendo Switch. It has no kickstand and, as a dedicated handheld gaming device, does not support video output to a TV. Therefore, it does not come with a dock or HDMI cable. For a full list of the differences between Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite, visit https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare.

Nothing too surprising, it's a logical move by Nintendo to sell more consoles without lowering the price if the OG Switch. Families with multiples kids, or more casual players will be more easily tempted, and I imagine the combo Switch Lite / Pokemon is gonna sell like crazy.

Speaking of which, they've also announced a "Zacian and Zamazenta Edition" launching November 8th:

0_1562764915698_99da4530-6363-4870-a5ea-496411efa724-image.png

• My first thought was "This is so they can get as many people as possible buying Pokemon".

• @hazz3r Or Pokemon is how they get as many people as possible to buy a Switch ;)

• Oh, there's a topic for this now. Well there's no point typing the same thing twice so...

It is just like the 2DS to the 3DS in lacking the thing that made the system special to begin with. Only get a 30 minute longer battery life and negligibly lighter weight and you miss out on docked and tabletop mode (no kickstand), Rumble, and not even every game is compatible without buying Joycons separately and finding your own way to prop the system up. (Someone in Twitch chat had a good idea that they could make cases with kickstands for it) Could be worse I suppose. Sounds like this one actually has stereo audio compared to the 2DS that only had mono. But it is $100 less, so this is entirely aimed at kids wanting to get Pokemon, who's folks aren't willing to drop $300 for a system for them.

What's going to be awful about this system is it being mostly aimed at kids, while Labo is also mostly aimed at kids, and this thing is not at all compatible with Labo products. I foresee lots of returns due to this. Another thing that'll suck is exclusive Switch Lite designs for new games will probably mean less new Joycon colors and less Pro Controllers with designs for new games.

We had so many rumors about what this system could be and how it could tackle some of the challenges while retaining the identity of the Switch, and turns out it just doesn't. There's nothing new and special about this thing, and most people are better off still getting an OG Switch.

Bonus edit: Oh, and playing alongside people gaming on these definitely won't be improving Switch's already alarming online situation.

• @mbun said in Nintendo Switch Lite:

What's going to be awful about this system is it being mostly aimed at kids, while Labo is also mostly aimed at kids, and this thing is not at all compatible with Labo products.

Good point, but I wouldn't say the Lite is mostly aimed at kids, it's also going to target casual players as a whole, and those won't care much about Labo, so it shouldn't be that bad.

Another thing that'll suck is exclusive Switch Lite designs for new games will probably mean less new Joycon colors and less Pro Controllers with designs for new games.

True, although they already weren't making many of those :/ I always thought that was a missed opportunity, the Joy-Con always felt like such an obvious candidate for special editions. If they end up making a Metroid Prime 4 special edition of the Lite, it'll sting a bit!

• This is awesome, I'm so buying this! God, I love portable tech. I would never play the Switch on my TV if I ever had one, so yeah this is made for me. I also like how it looks, it's quite subtle looking. Glad it's coming this year, should be easier for me to save up for this one too. Hoping it actually turns out great though, battery life and comfortability especially. I don't think Nintendo has a spotty history with new console/handheld versions so my worries may be just paranoia.

• @bam541 said:

Hoping it actually turns out great though, battery life and comfortability especially.

Approximately 3 – 7 hour battery (only 30 minutes better than OG Switch)
    Approximately .61 lbs compared to OG Switch's .88 lbs

• I've been playing some Super Mario Maker 2 in handheld mode recently and that new D-pad looks much better than the standard left joycon. Not $200.00 dollars better though. I play mostly on the tv anyway.

I'm visiting a friend today who plans on getting a Switch just for Pokemon. I'll see what he thinks about the new Switch Lite.

• @shoulderguy They do sell third party Joycons that have nicer D-Pads, some as low as $20 if you don't mind lots of the other stuff missing.

• @mbun That's a decent upgrade, if true. I do wish that they took the opportunity to position the dpad to be not perfectly straight up from the analog (same goes for the right side buttons), give it at least a little angle. That seems just a bit less comfortable to me.

Also, have Nintendo ever talked about adding multimedia features to the Switch? Music, video, ebooks, things like that. Or have they done that? Would be cool if they did.

• @mbun I know, thanks. I just thought Nintendo would have released something official by now.

• They should've called the Switch Lite the Switch Less cause it costs less and can't Switch.

• Or is it the successor to the 3DS?

• @inflorescence In a way it is the successor to the 2DS.

• As someone who exclusively plays his switch in handheld mode, I almost certainly would have gotten this version if it had been available at the time of my purchase. There's a big market of people who are constantly on the go, whether for travel, commuting to work, or some other reason. When I lived in Japan I had a 3 hour round trip commute to work each day that this would have been perfect for. I see no reason why people wouldn't buy the cheaper version that's more suited to their lifestyle.

• @naltmank said:

I see no reason why people wouldn't buy the cheaper version that's more suited to their lifestyle.

Mainly just because it is barely more suited to their lifestyle. Only 30 minute extra battery life. It is barely smaller and barely lighter. OG Switch can already be taken Handheld, and you can also use it Tabletop Mode while this one lacks even a kickstand. I just really see this one primarily for children who's parents see $300 as a bit too steep. Everyone else is losing alot for that $100 difference. Even if 95% of the time you'd be using your Handheld, you'd still appreciate being able to dock it to a television that other 5%, and this one simply can't do that.

Only compelling argument I see for it so far in the D-Pad, but that's not guaranteed to be a good one yet.

• @mbun said in Nintendo Switch Lite:

Everyone else is losing alot for that $100 difference.

First, I'd argue that you're not losing anything because you still have access to the original model, but that could easily lead to a different argument. My point is if you never intend to use it in any other mode, that $100 is absolutely worthwhile. $100 is a lot of money, or at least for me it is. Also, that 30 extra minutes is the difference between my switch potentially dying on my old commute to theoretically making it through no matter what. I'm not saying this is the only clear path forward, I'm just saying it's a great option for working class people that share my lifestyle - not just kids.

• This will be great for the kids. I've put of getting them a Switch for themselves as they are still quite young. Now there is less thing to break & they have no interest in playing on the TV. Saves me a few quid too.

• @naltmank said:

First, I'd argue that you're not losing anything because you still have access to the original model

That was my point. Better off with the original model. This one isn't as souped up as rumors had people believing. Disappointed that with 2 years and all they took away they could barely improve the battery life.

$100 is a lot of money, or at least for me it is.

You don't have to tell me how valuable $100 is, but when it is the difference between a console being the thing that makes it special or not, on top of minor luxuries like HD Rumble, and just knowing you won't have problems playing any game on it, then I argue it is worth spending the extra on if you're not a kid who either gets this or nothing at all.

• I’m not offended by the Switch Lite but it seems like it’s on its own isolated ecosystem rather than having anything to do with the Switch.

Like if one kid in the house has a Switch and the parent buys the younger kid a Switch Lite, they can’t even play Mario Party together.

It’s like they are two completely different products that don’t interact. Kinda weird.

Also, $250 CAD is steeeeeeep. The regular Switch is $350 I think.