What is or has been your favourite gaming system?

• I think I have to go PS1 because I really like early 3D games. They're weird and make cool visual and design decisions. The 2D games on the system were often like more polished 4th gen games. It also has one of the largest libraries of untranslated Japanese games too, so there's a lot to discover beyond just the stuff that was localized (and sometimes that was its own issue, like with Ace Combat 3 for example).

• Personally, it has to be the PS2.

The library combined with the PS1 backwards compatibility hit me in the most formative of my gaming maturation, so I'll always hold it as my number one. Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank..... What a system.

But a couple of Honorable Mentions though: The Xbox 360 for a combination of its controller, online service leading me to several friends, and of course games (Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, and Halo), and the PS4 because the exclusives are incredibly. Finally, the PSP doesn't get enough love.

• My favorite would be Xbox 360. 10 of the games in my top 25 were played on this console. The Xbox 360 actually got me back into gaming as a hobby.

I was really into the Sega Genesis and SNES when I was young. After that. Most of the early 3D games just didn't do anything for me. Even at the time, I thought those games looked bad. Going from crisp 16 bit art to a blocky and blurry mess. Most of them played bad too. I never liked the early PlayStation controllers or the N64 one. Not to say it was all bad. Obviously I did find some gems while owning both systems for a time. After that I didn't play many games and didn't follow the industry at all. I had a Dreamcast and PS2 that I rarely used. Then some friends were telling me about the games they we're playing like Fable, Morrowind, Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire. I didn't know what an action RPG was but I was intrigued. Unfortunately, I was still stupidly hung up on the visuals at the time and never played more than 1 hour of my friends games.

In high school, I took a computer repair class were one day a student was allowed to bring his Xbox 360 to class for some reason(maybe the last week of class). He hooked it up to the projector, then proceeded to play Project Gotham Racing 3 and then Gears of War. My little mind was blown. That's how I ended up with a Xbox 360, an overly priced 720p tv and a copy of both Gears of War and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Video games are now my favorite hobby.

Honorable Mentions: PC, PS4, Switch, GBA, DS, 3DS, SNES, Genesis

• For me it's between the SNES, Mega Drive, PS2 and Gamecube. I don't know which is my favorite. I'm just very fond of the 4th and 6th generations of consoles.

The original Game Boy and GBA are also some of my favorite systems.

• N64, that's when rental stores existed, and I got to try so many different amazing games you never hear people talk about. Plus those were the days of Goldeneye 007, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, Snowboard Kids, and the origins of Super Smash Brothers, so unforgettable couch versus memories that not even today's online multiplayer world can touch. Not to mention how rad the systems themselves were back then with all variety of colors including dope clear plastic and special editions like the Pikachu one. Top it all off with games like Pokemon Stadium that let you bring your Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon into 3D games to battle with an iconic announcer calling the shots, which at the time was nuts, and with some animations that still outdo what are in the mainline games today, and the absolute phenomenon that was Pokemon Snap, which let you bring your memory card to Blockbuster and print out sticker sheets of the photos you took in the game. There was also Hey You! Pikachu, which was a terrible experiment with voice controlling a character, but it is just one of many examples with how crazy interesting the N64 got with peripherals. I could sound off nigh endlessly about amazing games for the system, including the still infinitely replayable masterpiece that is the launch title Mario 64, or I could point out how revolutionary things like the Rumble Pack were, but I'm sure yall are all just thinking about the dumb controller and the alarming framerate of many of the games, so I guess you just had to be there to understand why the N64 is my favorite gaming system of all time until the Switch ends up topping it someday maybe.

Oh and shoutout to PSP for being a runner up.

• I think it has to be a toss up between PS2 and PS4 in large part because those have been the main consoles at times I've gamed the most, in high school and now, also on the previous gen it was previously spread across 360 and PS3 to go with one over the other.

An unfair advantage for the PS2 was also that most of my SNES gaming was actually in the PS2 with a bootleg collection of 500 SNES and older games.

• Easily the PSP for me. Had at least one of em for at least 10 years straight. My parents hogged the TV when I was younger, so I always preferred to play my PSP than disturbing them to play the consoles. I was also very shy, and would feel very uncomfortable when anyone is watching me play something, so the PSP hit two soft spots with me back then. The library of games are great: Crisis Core, THUG2 Remix, the GTA games, Resistance Retribution, Monster Hunter, and so on. The PSP also had so many good racing games, which was my go-to genre back then. The PSP modding scene was also very active back in those days. I thought hacking my PSP sounds like a good idea one day, so I did it and was constantly amazed by the stuff homebrewers make ever since. I still remember seeing Kurok for first time, and how cool it was that regular people can make that sort of thing. I honestly think I would be a very different kind of person if I never had the PSP, lol.

PS4's not too far behind. This generation has just been an absolute blast for me, first and third party wise. I could see it beating PSP one day, but not anytime soon.

• First of all, cool thread!

So here's what I owned over the years: NES, SNES, Game Boy Color, GBA, PS1, Xbox, GameCube, Xbox 360, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Switch.

My top 5 would be: SNES, PS1, Xbox 360, 3DS, Switch.

• SNES: The generational leap from the NES was mind-blowing back then, and it's the first console I remember actively anticipating. It has some of my favorite games ever, Super Metroid, Mega Man X, Secret of Mana, A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart... I didn't even play Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger until years later, and they became some of my favorites too, so it's not just childhood nostalgia talking.
    • PS1: Maybe the one that felt the most futuristic. It had CDs, you could listen to music on it! And 3D games! So many awesome new IPs were born (or strongly evolved) on this console, Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy VII, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Soul Blade, Tekken, Ace Combat... I'm probably forgetting a ton. I even played Diablo and Command & Conquer on this thing!
    • Xbox 360: Probably the console I owned the most game for in total, and the one I actively played for the longest time. It brought a lot of shiny new things to console gaming, or finally made them widely accessible: that slick "blades" interface, achievements, online, profiles, friends lists, HD, Xbox Live Arcade... And the games, so many games. Halo, Gears of War, Dead Space, Oblivion, Batman Arkham, Mass Effect, etc.
    • 3DS: It's hard to dissociate the DS and 3DS, but I was inexplicably hyped for the 3DS, got it day one, got my Ambassador bunch of free games to compensate. The 3D effect really worked for me, I still use it to this day on almost every game. I played a lot of Fire Emblem on this little thing, some great Zeldas, Marios, and all the classics. Played a lot of Virtual Console games too. Discovered Phoenix Wright. Definitely my favorite, and most played, dedicated portable.
    • Switch: Shot straight to my heart, what a perfect concept, having my home console always with me, allowing me to sneak half an hour of gaming here and there. And already some of my favorite games of all time, with Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Octopath Traveler, all those indies finding a perfect home. Easily the console I'm the most "attached" to, but still too young to claim the top most. It if keeps up that pace for another 3-4 years, it will probably become my number one.

I'd say the Xbox 360 wins in the end, with the SNES and PS1 close behind.

• PC, because games are twice times cheaper than their console versions.

Xbox One was closing the gap thanks to Xbox Game Pass, but now it works on PC too.

• PlayStation 2. It has most of my favourite games of all time, and was the centrepiece to many amazing memories. Completing Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks in co-op with my cousin was so much fun. As was the co-op missions in GTA San Andreas.