The Witcher (Netflix)

• Henry Cavill plays Geralt of Rivia when The Witcher debuts on Netflix later this year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witcher_(TV_series)

The Witcher | Official Teaser | Netflix
    Youtube Video

• This looks pretty sick. I only read one of the books, one of the short stories one, so it's mostly new to me which is exciting. Cavill looks great, maybe not as gruff as I would like him to be but it's no biggie.

• Having read all the books, I'm super pumped for this. Lauren S. Hissrich really seems passionate about the project, and I'm confident she'll bring the world of Witcher to life.

I'm a little worried about how the first season follows the short stories though. I completely understand why as some very important story moments happen in them, but I wonder how the format of the show will change when they reach the main books. I'm just concerned the transition will be a little jarring. That said, I think I'm thinking a little too far ahead.

Edit: I just watched the trailer, and though I could be misremembering, I'm pretty sure I saw a few moments that did not take place during the short stories, but rather the main books. I have no clue how this is gonna work now.

• Not enough twirling
    alt text

• As long as the first episode is his encounter with Foltest and his daughter in its entirety, I’ll be happy. That quick shot of Gerald with the chain looks promising.

Also, the chat with Nivellan better be as cozy as I imagined in my head.

• This looks very.... TV-ish to me. It doesn't have that kind of believable set design and costume as, say, The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire. This looks a bit more Power Rangers-y for me to really get into it.

This is more of a me-thing than an actual criticism to be honest. I have a really hard time taking TV shows seriously unless they nail the tone, art, writing, and acting all-in-one perfect harmony. Otherwise, I feel taken out and disconnected.

As a fan of The Witcher, I'll give it the ol college try.