Let's talk about Oninaki's demo (Spoilers)

• Today Square Enix has dropped a demo for Oninaki on Switch, PS4, PC.

It's literally the full game, i played for like 45 minutes / an hour, and i haven't finished it yet.

The game is far more interesting than Tokyo RPG Factory previous works: art style is more inspired, music is very good, gameplay is action-y, the demon raising mechanics reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (you can have up to 4 in your party, each daemon has its skill tree,...) but it still keeps a low budget feel with its locked camera, lack of animations similar to other JRPGs (like Falcom games), etc.

Story has some dark angle, i didn't see coming: you're a "watcher", a member of a cult called Veil Watch, your role is to find lost tormented souls and help them (it's a bit anime Ghost Whisperer), this organization seems to have a weird influence to the city.

SPOILER ALERT: There is in particular a scene where you find the soul of a dead kid, he asks you to bring him back to his family (which is still alive), and when you do it, the kid wants you to see the parents, they realize that the only way is to die so they ask you to murder them.

• @gageblackw23 said:

It's literally the full game

Wait, like that time they fucked up with Yakuza and gave away the full game, or do you just mean the demo is long?

• @mbun said in Let's talk about Oninaki's demo (Spoilers):

@gageblackw23 said:

It's literally the full game

Wait, like that time they fucked up with Yakuza and gave away the full game, or do you just mean the demo is long?

No, initially i thought about that but it ends after the second mission. The demo is the first 2-2.5 hours of the full game though, and you can carry over your saves.

I confirm even on the second "mission" the story carries these themes about suicide and death cults.

• Here's a trailer for it:

Youtube Video

It doesn't look bad at all, could be a good surprise! Wasn't it Brad's poptart recently on the podcast?