Nintendo Financial Results - as of 30 June 2019

• Hello!

As I like to do, I've taken a look at the latest financial results published today by Nintendo, pertaining to Q1 of this new fiscal year which covers April-June.

Hardware sales
    Software sales
    Consolidated financial highlights
    Earnings release

Here's some takeaways:

• Total Switch hardware sales are at 36.87 million units, meaning they sold 2.13 million in Q1. That may not sound super impressive but it still represents a 13.2% increase compared to last year's Q1.
    • Software sales increased by 22.62 million to reach a total of 210.13 million, officially beating the GameCube with 208.57 million.
    • The top-selling game is still Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which was one of only two million-seller titles in Q1 with an additional 1.2 million, now reaching a total of 17.89 million.
    • In second place, Super Mario Odyssey with 14.94 million total (+0.5 million in Q1).
    • Third, hot on its heels, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate with 14.73 million (+0.92 million in Q1). At this pace, it will probably outsell Mario Odyssey next quarter.
    • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is now at 13.61 million (+0.84 million), with a surprisingly better dynamic than Mario Odyssey (maybe boosted by Labo VR? or the sequel's announcement? or just because it's awesome?)
    • To complete the top 10, we have Pokémon: Let's Go (10.98 million), Splatoon 2 (9.02 million), Super Mario Party (6.99 million), New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (4.10 million), 1-2-Switch (3.01 million) and Mario Tennis Aces (2.75 million).
    • No Super Mario Maker 2 you may ask? Well, since it came out on June 28th, only 3 days of sales are recorded in those financial results, and in those 3 days it sold 2.42 million! The second game to sell over a million in Q1 alongside Mario Kart. No doubt by now it has already passed Mario Tennis so it should be in the top 10 next time.
    • I couldn't find any info on Yoshi's Crafted World, but since it was at 1.11 million last time and we know it sold less than a million in Q1, it's probably still under 2 million total. Somewhere, Jones is smiling.
    • The 3DS is seriously slowing down, with only 0.2 million sold (44.9% decrease year-on-year). The Switch Lite will be the final nail in its coffin.
    • Nothing to report from the launch schedule, with Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4 and "The sequel to Breath of the Wild" announced as TBA.

They state that their sales forecast has not changed, meaning it remains at 18 million Switch units and 125 million software units. A long way to go but with their upcoming line-up, the Switch Lite release and the holidays as a whole, it seems achievable. That's all folks!

• I'm consistently blown away by the attach rate (or whatever the term is called) where Switch owners end up buying exclusive games in droves. With that said, I'm almost concerned we're setting a precedent where Nintendo doesn't necessarily have to release quality content when they understand their software will sell anyways.

From what I've played, the only exclusive game on Switch that I would call "GREAT" is Mario Odyssey. The rest, in my opinion, are just GOOD to SOLID (i.e. Mario Party is fun but vanilla, Pokemon Let's Go doesn't even have animations for Eevee in cutscenes). The stats here show that Switch just passed the GameCube, but I felt more attached to the GC and feel like the quality of software was a lot higher despite the titles selling less. My whole point is that I hope they don't cut corners because they know the game will sell no matter what.

I don't have any evidence to say that this is the case or will be the case, but its just a concern of mine. With that said, I can't wait for Astral Chain and I think its gonna be a big surprise hit that hopefully sparks more investment from Nintendo into Platinum and action games in general.

• @dipset I don't think you're off base. The best-selling game of the quarter is a Wii U port with some minor additions and number 8 (?) is the same deal. But then, of course, nobody bought the Wii U and everybody continues to buy the Switch so these games may be brand new to them. And they are quickly running out of the short list of can't-miss games on the Wii U so we will see how much longer they can keep this strategy up.

@Axel has Jones ever explained his beef with Yoshi? I personally really enjoy the games but even if I try to be objective, there's nothing really despise-able about them. The controls are accurate, graphics have always been top of the range for their console, there are usually unique, new mechanics for each game. Personally, I think it's different enough from Mario to warrant separate games but is that his issue?

• @e_zed_eh_intern Jones beef was that they're making another Yoshi game and not an Animal Crossing game.

• @dipset i'm finding alot of the Switch exclusives feel pretty familar to start with but the developers usually breathe new life into the games with both paid DLC and also with free DLC updates in games like Splatoon 2, Super Smash Bros Ultimate and Mario Tennis Aces.

hell Mario Tennis was extremely barebones when it came up but ALOT of content has been added to that game since it came out via free updates

• @yoshi The amount of stuff in Smash still blows my mind. Then when they add a character, they don't just add a character. They add a stage AND songs as part of the deal. Pretty nuts compared to other fighting games.

• @dipset said:

I'm consistently blown away by the attach rate (or whatever the term is called) where Switch owners end up buying exclusive games in droves.

Could you not same the exact same for PS4 Exclusives for PS4 owners? Days Gone has been selling way better than I think it would if it was a third party game and personally better than I think it deserved to given the rough edges.

From what I've played, the only exclusive game on Switch that I would call "GREAT" is Mario Odyssey.

People got different tastes. I honestly thought Odyssey was underwhelming and one of the more subpar exclusives they've released right next to Super Mario Maker 2, Super Mario Party, and Kirby Star Allies before the free DLC saved that one. I've had a blast with BotW, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Yoshi's Crafted World, etc. Three Houses just scored highly, and Luigi's Mansion 3 is looking in great shape. Also, I have my problems with Mario Tennis Aces, but it is still fundamentally way improved over past entries. I think they've done plenty great games on Switch. Just all comes down to personal taste.

Pokemon Let's Go doesn't even have animations for Eevee in cutscenes

That's not even Nintendo's product. That's GameFreak.

The stats here show that Switch just passed the GameCube, but I felt more attached to the GC and feel like the quality of software was a lot higher despite the titles selling less.

The Gamecube was beefy at the time, so our memory of those games is way more favorable in retrospect than how most think of Switch games today which are running on a currently underpowered piece of hardware next to competitors. The way you're speaking is kind of how I feel about the Wii U though, horrible sales, but the stellar games, better system features, (RIP Miiverse) and more generous consumer deals made me much happier as a consumer during that time than the Switch has so far, despite me loving this lightning fast little system. Least we're not in Wii 2.0 era where the games were fundamentally watered down for more mass appeal for more sales from the casual market.

@E_Zed_Eh_Intern said:

The best-selling game of the quarter is a Wii U port with some minor additions and number 8 (?) is the same deal.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did at least add the Battle Mode that was missing on Wii U. If I had more disposable income, I probably would've double dipped there too, because I love Battle Mode, and I got the original bundled with my Wii U anyways. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe or w/e the hell that pile is called unfortunately just sells because it is Mario, and it is a shame the vastly superior Tropical Freeze didn't get those sales instead when it deserves them way more.

they are quickly running out of the short list of can't-miss games on the Wii U so we will see how much longer they can keep this strategy up

Still got Pikmin 3, 3D World, (if they can pull that off well) Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, (I see people ask for this alot still) Wonderful 101, and probably more I'm forgetting.

has Jones ever explained his beef with Yoshi?

He just wanted Animal Crossing info and got upset to see a new Yoshi game instead, especially one that at the time almost seemed like Woolly World 2.0, even though the final product proved way, way different than that game in both good (visuals and new mechanics) and bad ways. (the music) What he really should've been upset about was Splatoon, because that's the series that slowed down Animal Crossing development since there's lots of shared members between those teams, and Splatoon became the priority when it became a mega hit in Japan.

@Yoshi said:

i'm finding alot of the Switch exclusives feel pretty familar to start with but the developers usually breath new life into the games with both paid DLC and also with free DLC updates

Kirby benefited the most from it. Everything you listed except Aces was pretty healthy at launch, and Aces still doesn't really have as much as I wish it did, especially in the Costume department. Kirby did a complete 180 for me where it went after the free updates versus the Day 1 product. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 was beefy at launch, but it also got crazily expanded from updates, free and otherwise. Played that game for no joke like a solid year. I still feel like Super Mario Party was too light on content and they did that one dirty by not having free DLC, but my friend assures me they're going to start doing yearly turn around on Mario Party again and abandoned it to work on the sequel instead.

• @mbun said in Nintendo Financial Results - as of 30 June 2019:

@dipset said:

I'm consistently blown away by the attach rate (or whatever the term is called) where Switch owners end up buying exclusive games in droves.

Could you not same the exact same for PS4 Exclusives for PS4 owners? Days Gone has been selling way better than I think it would if it was a third party game and personally better than I think it deserved to given the rough edges.

Yeah I hear ya, but I think the PS4 has enough quality games from 2013-today to sort of allow an average-decent game like Days Gone slip through. I think a better comparison would be if the PS4 sold like the Switch in 2014 and games like Killzone Shadowfall and Infamous Second Sun and even The Order are getting really high scores so they keep making more games at that level.

I think Killzone and Infamous are solid examples of good games that don't push the boundaries too far but we'd prefer to see better in time (which we got).

• @dipset But like @Mbun said, it's really down to your own personal tastes at this point.

Because one could easily argue (I personally think so) that Breath of the Wild is the best 3D Zelda ever, Mario Odyssey is the best 3D Mario ever, Smash Ultimate is the best Smash ever, Mario Kart 8 is the best Mario Kart ever, etc. Don't @ me!

And although review scores are not the be-all and end-all to represent a game's quality, those are all 90+ rated games, so the global consensus is that they are indeed great, and far from low-effort, corner-cutting titles.

Those are the 4 best-selling games on the platform, so I think it's unfair to suggest they're only selling so well because Nintendo fanboys gonna fanboy.

Aside from those, the good-but-not-great games like Kirby or Yoshi are selling a million or two, which is not mindblowing, I'd say those sales are adequate based on their quality.

And don't forget we're only 2 years into the console's life cycle, so there are way more great titles to come. I see no reason to worry, on the contrary I feel like they're getting more and more ambitious, or at the very least on point, with most of their series. I'm convinced that when all is said and done we'll look back on the Switch as having one of the best libraries of all Nintendo consoles.

• @axel said:

the good-but-not-great games like Kirby or Yoshi

I still maintain that Yoshi's Crafted World is the best the series has been since the original Island, (even if I still have a soft personal favoritism for Story) just everyone can feel how much the couple baffling decisions like the limited and awful soundtrack (especially after Woolly World's amazing one) plus being forced to revisit levels over and over instead of being able to knock out multiple objectives at once hurt the overall experience for the player. That definitely hurt how the game was scored and for good reason, but I do hope people give it a chance still, because it is extremely charming, strikingly good looking, and both goes interesting places you wouldn't expect from a Yoshi game as well as mixes up the gameplay enough to keep the lengthy journey fresh through the end. (as long as you're not going for 100% like a madman, which murders the pace)

And honestly, even if it had been a perfect game, I don't think Yoshi would get the credit he deserves these days. The character just doesn't have the same popularity he had back in the 90s, there's a stinging stigma surrounding the games of the perception that they're all mindnumbingly easy primarily targeting kids, and nothing can ever live up to what the original Island was for it's time. Yoshi just isn't currently a hype franchise for Nintendo like Mario, Zelda, or Smash despite all of those equally having great entries and subpar ones. I really wonder how Luigi's Mansion 3 will turn out, given how great it has looked so far, given it'll likely suffer from this same consumer hype level bias.

I'm convinced that when all is said and done we'll look back on the Switch as having one of the best libraries of all Nintendo consoles.

I kind of doubt this, but if it happens it'll most likely be for cribbing all of Wii U's stellar titles, in the eyes of people who never owned a Wii U to experience them there first, on top of it's own usual amount of original standouts for a Nintendo system. I personally think the Switch's legacy in the longrun will be the system itself, with all the good and bad resulting from this souped up handheld masquerading as a console.