What Video Game Beat You

• Basically echoing @el-shmiablo 's experience with Silent Hill 2, it was spring 2003 and I decided to be a brave 8 year old one day at Blockbuster with my step dad who didn't give a fuck and let me rent Resident Evil 0

Some context - a few weeks before this incident, I found myself talking with some older kids on the playground. If I was in grade 3, they were in grade 4 or 5. They asked me what video games I play and I told them GameCube. The somewhat slightly older kids laughed at me and told me GameCube is for little kids and the only good game on the system is Resident Evil. I didn't know what to say because I thought my GameCube was pretty damn cool. I also told them I had a PS2 but the games I had on PS2 weren't good enough for them either. Apparently I should be playing SOCOM online which I hadn't even heard of at the time.

So skip ahead to Blockbuster and in my head I wanted to play Super Mario Sunshine but I also wanted to try the cool game Resident Evil. Well the coward in me won, so I grabbed Sunshine but when I got home, we saw that somebodies dog must've eaten the disc. It looked completely chewed up and broken. So back to the store we go... I knew what was to come when we got back to the store... I was gonna ask for Resident Evil 0.

MORE CONTEXT - I had actually tried Resident Evil remake in the past. I made it about as far as opening up the door to leave the mansion when the dogs run in before I cowered in fear. But not this time, I'm older and stronger!

I rent Resident Evil 0 which was pretty new at the time. I pop it into my GameCube and start the game. The opening cutscenes play and so far so good, these movies aren't even thaaaat scary. I recently had watched a scary movie as well so I felt like top shit. I walk through the first train car. This is a breeze! Then into the second train car a cutscene plays where a zombie train conductor walks towards you. Again - not tooooo scary. But then the game lets you play and you're actually being surrounded by zombies from the front AND back!! My heart went 0-100 and I was shooting mercilessly but really was just embracing for impact. One zombie gets my neck and I just cowered head in hands then jumped onto my bed in sheer fear. I had to turn the system off and when I managed to, I had to just sit there and breathe for like 2 minutes.

Back to the Blockbuster. This time they had a NEW return of Sunshine so I got that normal not eaten up copy and the rest is history. Also - skip ahead to late 2004 and my friends older brother had SOCOM II which I remembered being the cool older kid game. We played it and I had never heard of 'online' before. I took my paper route savings and went to Best Buy and they were so ignorant to 'ethernet' and 'routers' over there that I had to teach the store employee what I needed. Lo and behold SOCOM II ended up being one of my all time favourites so the older kids were right about something.

Never went back to Resident Evil 0. I've also heard its low key trash and probably can be skipped unless you're die hard into Resident Evil.

• Ninja Gaiden 2, I was doing ok with it but then I reached a boss that was like a water dragon which you fought in the middle of a lake or something, easily like 50 tries and not in one of them did I feel I was even close to making significant progress, I've meant to go back to it but my 360 is not looking super hot and haven't plugged in in a while.

Other than that, not that many I just cheat and look online what I have to do when I run into roadblocks.

• Dragon Quest 7 (3DS), and most recently Dragon Quest 8 (3DS).

I got 30 hours into DQ7, and had no more gas in the tank. What killed my momentum was the fragment system. Without spoiling anything, there's a part of the game where it's easy to miss a fragment reward from an NPC, and subsequently get stonewalled unless you remember or look it up. The fragment compass won't even ding when you're near that specific NPC for whatever reason.

With DQ8, I just got gradually worn down by the tedious quest design after 20 hours.
    One non-spoiler example:

• you need to get a vehicle out of a ditch.

• You go to a library to read about the vehicle's history to figure out why it's in the ditch.

• Then you meet a mechanic who can remove the vehicle. Oops, the mechanic's wrench breaks.

• So you visit a royal dude that you helped, but their super-wrench just got nicked by a group of underground crypto-mechanics. You beat up the crypto-mechanics, get the super-wrench, go back to the mechanic, and then get your boat out.

This type of quest line keeps repeating where wrinkles are added to your objectives seemingly just to pad things out. It evokes the feeling of going to the post-office, getting in-line to mail your parcel, getting out of line to get that one form you missed, getting back in line, etc.

I had intended to play the whole series (except for IX and X), but only got so far as finishing DQ1 through DQ6. I really didn't expect to find DQ8 so abrasive.

• I've really enjoyed reading your reply's. Thanks everyone.

For me it has to be Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Ghosts and Goblins on the Nes I could finish, but not this follow up. I tried back with its initial release, through a number of ports and most recently on my Snes Mini. I honestly get nowhere with it, the second level is my all time best. But even then, no matter how familiar I am with level one, I still screw up frequently. Right now I honestly feel I've thrown in the towel for this one, time will tell I guess.

• @sheria I've also never beaten Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I got up to the last level of the first run.

It really is much harder than the other games in the series. Ghost 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Mega Drive I've beaten a few times.

• @neocweeny said in What Video Game Beat You:

@sheria I've also never beaten Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I got up to the last level of the first run.

It really is much harder than the other games in the series. Ghost 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Mega Drive I've beaten a few times.

I had heard the Megadrive version was more manageable somehow, I've never tried it though.

I just can't get on with how Arthur jumps though, combine that with a very questionable frame rate and I just keep messing up when I shouldn't. The way chests work winds me up and my patience was just tested too much on stage two because of the slow scrolling raft section. I just can't see myself going back to it.

• @sheria The god damn ghosts in level 2. I'm climbing a ladder here, eff off!

• @e_zed_eh_intern said in What Video Game Beat You:

@sheria The god damn ghosts in level 2. I'm climbing a ladder here, eff off!

Haha. Yeah, I cant even find a damn pattern for them.

• @sheria said in What Video Game Beat You:

@neocweeny said in What Video Game Beat You:

@sheria I've also never beaten Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I got up to the last level of the first run.

I had heard the Megadrive version was more manageable somehow, I've never tried it though.

I just can't get on with how Arthur jumps though, combine that with a very questionable frame rate and I just keep messing up when I shouldn't. The way chests work winds me up and my patience was just tested too much on stage two because of the slow scrolling raft section. I just can't see myself going back to it.

Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Mega Drive is not a different version but a completely different game and it's much better in my opinion.
    The frame rate is not so bad in that game and it doesn't have that terrible double jump.
    You can also shoot up and downwards which is nice ^_^.

• @neocweeny said in What Video Game Beat You:

@sheria said in What Video Game Beat You:

@neocweeny said in What Video Game Beat You:

Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Mega Drive is not a different version but a completely different game and it's much better in my opinion.
    The frame rate is not so bad in that game and it doesn't have that terrible double jump.
    You can also shoot up and downwards which is nice ^_^.

Wow, really? I know what I'm playing next.

That said, I still feel defeated.