What are Gaming greatest trilogies?

• Hello friends,

In this thread we are discussing about what are best trilogies?

For me I can think of those 2

alt text

alt text

Max Payne and Metro Trilogies

Metro Trilogy ended this year on high note and its one of the most immersive series i have ever played. both atmospheric wise and story wise too. but yeah it has flaws just like every other games. first 2 Metro games have advantage over Exodus in a sense that they have better story and pacing while exodus has advantage that its longer and more open.

Max Payne Trilogy has ended 7 years ago but no other TPS game manage to make as great as Max payne series was. none. although Max payne 2 is worst in series easily. it was easily weakest point of series both in a term of story, in a term of longevity, was far too easy and less atmospheric. Original game is still a masterpiece, and so was third game which become rockstar best game ever made.

I cant think of any other gaming trilogies are as great as those 2. I think they both are best gaming trilogies.

what you think are best gaming trilogies? lets discuss

• Metroid Prime
    Motorstorm
    Streets of Rage
    Dark Souls
    God of War (Ghost of Sparta trilogy)
    Wipeout Omega Collection (HD/Fury/2048)

• I think Jak and Uncharted deserve it. Together, they perfectly represent the growing ideals of Naughty Dog and how they evolve and mature as a game developer. On their own, they're just so damn awesome. I can't help but be a sucker for their style of games, especially as they progress on expanding their ideas and honing their skills.

Outside of that I can't really give any more nominees. My experience with many trilogies are incomplete. I haven't played Mass Effect 3 yet, so I can't count them yet despite my love for 1 and 2. Same goes for Metro trilogy (haven't played Exodus, I really enjoyed 2033 and Last Light).

There's also many incomplete trilogies (as in not having 3 main games yet) that could be here one day (shawdaw to Red Dead Redemption, Gravity Rush and Dishonored).

• PS2 GTA trilogy
    Super Mario Bros 1-3
    Metroid 1-3

• Trails in the Sky
    Dark Souls

• Metroid Prime Trilogy
    Pikmin Trilogy

• I rarely even look at games as a trilogy. Even if a trilogy is all that we’re left with or a trilogy was the intention out of the gate, the nature of game development means that it’s very difficult for one vision to be held for the duration of a trilogy.

With that said, I think I vote for God of War 1-3. The first game had its beginning, middle, and end. It could have finished there and been enough.

BUT, GoW2 ups the gameplay AND brings forward this idea of getting revenge against the God’s. It links back to the original with Ares being the first god that is deceitful and vengeful but now in God of War 2, the rest of the Gods turn too.

In God of War 3 you finish the job and kill them ALL! It feels like a coherent and rewarding trilogy. Not to mention that the gameplay, story, and scale keep getting better and better.

• To me Trails in the Sky, The Zero Escape trilogy and Danganronpa, and aside from that I would make the argument that Persona 3, 4 and 5 could be considered a trilogy given how different they are from the other games.

• @el-shmiablo

Everyone has listed some great Trilogies, just wanted to second MotorStorm. I loved that series, I would happily rebuy them on current gen.

• Does Burnout 3,Revenge and Paradise count as a trilogy, cause i'm counting it as a trilogy

• Gears of war trilogy is probably my favorite clear trilogy/beginning to end of a saga

• @themarcv Dude the SECOND Pacific Rift gets a remaster I will be all over that.

• The Mass Effect trilogy is amazing. It has a solid beginning, middle, and end. Also, ME1 stands out as a standalone game on its own (as first entries in a trilogy often do). Rocksteady's Arkham trilogy is also incredible too. Shout out to the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon trilogies too. I'd also say Dragon Age, but a DLC expansion in Inquisition has a MASSIVE cliffhanger preparing you for the 4th entry in the franchise, so I wouldn't count DA as a trilogy.

• @el-shmiablo
    I'll gonna say I'm surprised a Motorstorm trilogy wasn't released to tide people over before Driveclub (maybe toss in that PSP game too)

• Xenosaga is my personal favourite. I don't have any issues with the second game like some people do.

• So we count those also which have had more than 3 games as long as focus is in a trilogy? Since success usually means more games.

Trails in the Sky trilogy
    Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

I'm ashamed not mentioning Metal Gear Solid.

• @tearju-engi said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

So we count those also which have had more than 3 games as long as focus is in a trilogy? Since success usually means more games.

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

The only trilogy there is Trails imo. Uncharted wasn't focused on the first three that's for sure and definitely not the likes of GT or Sonic. The only grey one is Onimisha, but I still think it's four games.

• @sheria that's your opinion. As a trilogy they all were great. GT and Sonic are definitely among them

• Super Mario Bros NES trilogy
    Donkey Kong Country SNES trilogy
    Crash Bandicoot PS1 trilogy
    Spyro PS1 trilogy
    Ratchet & Clank PS2 trilogy
    Jak & Daxter PS2 trilogy

• @sheria said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

@tearju-engi said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

So we count those also which have had more than 3 games as long as focus is in a trilogy? Since success usually means more games.

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

The only trilogy there is Trails imo. Uncharted wasn't focused on the first three that's for sure and definitely not the likes of GT or Sonic. The only grey one is Onimisha, but I still think it's four games.

most people think trilogies are consist of 3 games but infact trilogies ended in 3 games or either subseries/saga. like mass effect have 4 games but it can count as trilogy because 4th one is different saga.

thats why it was hard for me to pick a trilogy because most games i like are not in trilogies.