What are Gaming greatest trilogies?

• To me Trails in the Sky, The Zero Escape trilogy and Danganronpa, and aside from that I would make the argument that Persona 3, 4 and 5 could be considered a trilogy given how different they are from the other games.

• @el-shmiablo

Everyone has listed some great Trilogies, just wanted to second MotorStorm. I loved that series, I would happily rebuy them on current gen.

• Does Burnout 3,Revenge and Paradise count as a trilogy, cause i'm counting it as a trilogy

• Gears of war trilogy is probably my favorite clear trilogy/beginning to end of a saga

• @themarcv Dude the SECOND Pacific Rift gets a remaster I will be all over that.

• The Mass Effect trilogy is amazing. It has a solid beginning, middle, and end. Also, ME1 stands out as a standalone game on its own (as first entries in a trilogy often do). Rocksteady's Arkham trilogy is also incredible too. Shout out to the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon trilogies too. I'd also say Dragon Age, but a DLC expansion in Inquisition has a MASSIVE cliffhanger preparing you for the 4th entry in the franchise, so I wouldn't count DA as a trilogy.

• @el-shmiablo
    I'll gonna say I'm surprised a Motorstorm trilogy wasn't released to tide people over before Driveclub (maybe toss in that PSP game too)

• Xenosaga is my personal favourite. I don't have any issues with the second game like some people do.

• So we count those also which have had more than 3 games as long as focus is in a trilogy? Since success usually means more games.

Trails in the Sky trilogy
    Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

I'm ashamed not mentioning Metal Gear Solid.

• @tearju-engi said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

So we count those also which have had more than 3 games as long as focus is in a trilogy? Since success usually means more games.

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

The only trilogy there is Trails imo. Uncharted wasn't focused on the first three that's for sure and definitely not the likes of GT or Sonic. The only grey one is Onimisha, but I still think it's four games.

• @sheria that's your opinion. As a trilogy they all were great. GT and Sonic are definitely among them

• Super Mario Bros NES trilogy
    Donkey Kong Country SNES trilogy
    Crash Bandicoot PS1 trilogy
    Spyro PS1 trilogy
    Ratchet & Clank PS2 trilogy
    Jak & Daxter PS2 trilogy

• @sheria said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

@tearju-engi said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

So we count those also which have had more than 3 games as long as focus is in a trilogy? Since success usually means more games.

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

The only trilogy there is Trails imo. Uncharted wasn't focused on the first three that's for sure and definitely not the likes of GT or Sonic. The only grey one is Onimisha, but I still think it's four games.

most people think trilogies are consist of 3 games but infact trilogies ended in 3 games or either subseries/saga. like mass effect have 4 games but it can count as trilogy because 4th one is different saga.

thats why it was hard for me to pick a trilogy because most games i like are not in trilogies.

• For once I agree with b-cell. I have a pretty lose definition for what a trilogy is, yes typically we think of a trilogy as being something that continues the same story, at the same time when it comes to games we can have trilogy's that are continuations of game play idea's and mechanics like I said with Burnout earlier, or Mario 1-3, and with all the lapsed/re branded series that have come and gone we could argue that True Crime got a trilogy seeing as it technically does consist of 3 games with LA, NY, and HK (aka Sleeping Dogs)

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

A trilogy is just three related works. Doesn't matter if there are more. As I told B-Cell on Gamespot in this same thread, MGS is a duology, a trilogy, a tetralogy and a pentalogy. There is nothing about exclusivity in the definitions that I've found.

@b-cell said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

@sheria said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

most people think trilogies are consist of 3 games but infact trilogies ended in 3 games or either subseries/saga. like mass effect have 4 games but it can count as trilogy because 4th one is different saga.

thats why it was hard for me to pick a trilogy because most games i like are not in trilogies.

What does that mean for a series like MGS, which was supposed to end at MGS2, then again at 3, then again at 4? Kojima always changed his mind. Star Wars didn't stop being a trilogy just because of the prequels, as your Mass Effect example illustrates. The Sonic trilogy is a legitimate trilogy.

• @b-cell said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

I actually agree really, which is why I considered TitS to be a trilogy.

Resident Evil Nemesis in no way concludes a Saga though. Onimusha? Extremely grey if you know the story of Dreams. Mario? Not a chance. Three games on one system is the best you can get, but technically, the Nes only housed two Mario games In the series.

Uncharted I don't really need to mention, it's four continuing games and 'The Uncharted Trilogy' makes no sense now.

A trilogy stands for three related parts of a series; but when there are four, it officially becomes a quadrilogy. That puts out Uncharted, Jak, Resident Evil, Sonic etc.

As for Gran Turismo? There's no relation in game so it makes no sense.

• @ezekiel said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

A trilogy is just three related works. Doesn't matter if there are more. As I told B-Cell on Gamespot in this same thread, MGS is a duology, a trilogy, a tetralogy and a pentalogy. There is nothing about exclusivity in the definitions that I've found.

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

What does that mean for a series like MGS, which was supposed to end at MGS2, then again at 3, then again at 4? Kojima always changed his mind. Star Wars didn't stop being a trilogy just because of the prequels, as your Mass Effect example illustrates. The Sonic trilogy is a legitimate trilogy.

A Quadrilogy is a story contained in four parts. Where MGS was supposed to end is irrelevant, a series can be moved along at any point it wants so he's clearly moved the series beyond a trilogy.

Star Wars isn't a trilogy and you'll find that agreement if you look beyond the simple use of marketing each set of three movies. For the movie series, it's now a story contained in eight parts, buy that will be re-defined soon.

• They were at one point a trilogy.
    Like Trails is part of a big series "Legend of Heroes" and Estelle is focused in 2 while 3rd has a new protagonist introduced in 2 which completed Estelle's arc.
    PS1 RE's were "Raccoon City" or Umbrella arc (in 4 Umbrella was no more) that were layer expanded with 0 and spin offs. Uncharted could have easily ended in 3. 4th came out because of success and they had a new console coming out.
    Sonic is a trilogy. Games after it had subtitles or were way different. And Episode 4 was a poor way to cash in on nostalgia.

@ezekiel said in What are Gaming greatest trilogies?:

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

Resident Evil
    Onimusha
    Super Mario Bros.
    Street Fighter Alpha
    Marvel vs. Capcom
    Megaman X
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Uncharted
    Gran Turismo

A Quadrilogy is a story contained in four parts. Where MGS was supposed to end is irrelevant, a series can be moved along at any point it wants so he's clearly moved the series beyond a trilogy.

Star Wars isn't a trilogy and you'll find that agreement if you look beyond the simple use of marketing each set of three movies. For the movie series, it's now a story contained in eight parts, buy that will be re-defined soon.

Star Wars is a set of three movies, a set of six and a set of nine. It just depends on which movies you're talking about. One thing can fall under more than one group.

• @sheria Star Wars fans often refers to the 3-film sets as trilogies. For example, Episode I-III is the prequel trilogy, Episode IV-VI is the original trilogy (from the 1970s-80s), and Episode VII-IX is the sequel trilogy. And this saga is supposed to conclude with Episode IX, so it definitely is a 3 parts of a 3-act structure.