Vote for the forum's GOTY 2012!

• It's time for another GOTY election, and we're going back in time to 2012!

A bit of a weird year, bookended by two console launches in US/Europe - PlayStation Vita and Wii U - but sort of a slump for PS3 and Xbox 360 with a lot of stinkers! Still, there are some gems, and I have no idea which game to call an early favourite at this point.

THE RULES

You may select up to 8 games, a ranked Top 4 and up to 4 honorable mentions. They will be scored as follows:

#1: 5 points
    #2: 4 points
    #3: 3 points
    #4: 2 points
    Honorable mentions: 1 point each

Honorable mentions are optional, so no worries if you haven't played (or liked) more than 4 games that year.

Votes are secret, so please send me your list via the chat function / private message of the forum and don't post them here. I'll take care of the tallies.

Games are eligible only if they were released in the West (US and/or Europe) in 2012, with the following caveats:

• Games that came out prior to 2012 and were ported to new platforms in 2012 (such as Rayman Origins on Vita) are not eligible.
    • DLCs and expansions (like Civilization V: Gods & Kings) are also not eligible.
    • Stand-alones (such as Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion) are eligible.
    • Full remakes are eligible.

I've compiled a list of eligible games, check it out in the post below. They're sorted by release month, although this might not always be accurate because of different platforms. I've tried to be as exhaustive as possible but if you can think of more, highlight them and I'll add them to the list.

There's also a Wikipedia page but make sure to double-check the games fit the criteria.

I'll probably close the votes in about 2 weeks.

Vote with your heart, this is not a competition, it's about reminiscing and shining a light on our darlings!

• LIST OF SUGGESTIONS

January

Mutant Mudds, Final Fantasy XIII-2, NeverDead, Soulcalibur V

February

The Darkness II, Gotham City Impostors, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Resident Evil: Revelations, Shank 2, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Crusader Kings II, Dear Esther, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Asura's Wrath, Syndicate, Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Dillon's Rolling Western, Wipeout 2048, Super Stardust Delta, Touch My Katamari, Binary Domain, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2

March

Mass Effect 3, Street Fighter X Tekken, I Am Alive, Mario Party 9, Journey, Silent Hill: Downpour, Tales of Graces f, Yakuza: Dead Souls, Armored Core V, Ninja Gaiden 3, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Warriors Orochi 3, Kid Icarus: Uprising

April

Kinect Star Wars, Skullgirls, Fez, Trials Evolution, Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season One, Risen 2: Dark Waters

May

TERA, Sniper Elite V2, Port Royale 3: Pirates & Merchants, Diablo III, Max Payne 3, Mario Tennis Open, Dragon's Dogma, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Dirt: Showdown, Ys Origin, Resistance: Burning Skies

June

Lollipop Chainsaw, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Heroes of Ruin, Pokémon Conquest, Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, The Amazing Spider-Man, Spec Ops: The Line, Gravity Rush

July

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, Rhythm Thief & the Emperor’s Treasure, Prototype 2, Orcs Must Die! 2, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance

August

Persona 4 Arena, Darksiders II, The Last Story, Sleeping Dogs, Dust: An Elysian Tail, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, Guild Wars 2

September

Mark of the Ninja, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Double Dragon Neon, FTL: Faster Than Light, Borderlands 2, Torchlight II, Dead or Alive 5

October

Resident Evil 6, Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Code of Princess, Dishonored, Fable: The Journey, Retro City Rampage, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Forza Horizon, Hotline Miami, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, The Unfinished Swan, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Assassin's Creed III, Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, Lego The Lord of the Rings, Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth, Need for Speed: Most Wanted

November

Halo 4, Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning, LittleBigPlanet Karting, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Thomas Was Alone, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, New Super Mario Bros. U, Nintendo Land, ZombiU, Hitman: Absolution, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Crashmo, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed

December

Far Cry 3, Guardians of Middle-earth

• 2012 is one of those years where I thought nothing much happened, but there's actually a lot of cool games released. It's a pretty good year overall, one of my absolute favorite games got here. Gonna give some shawdaws to:

• Katawa Shoujo. My introduction to visual novels. A lot of emotional baggage attached with this one.
    • Binary Domain. One of the strongest swimming-in-7s game ever. It's like an evolved version of a sci-fi action B-movie. I'm not surprised that the Ryu Ga Gotoku team made this.
    • FTL: Faster Than Light. Looking back, this might be my favorite roguelike game. I never even finished it once (getting though the end), it's just so much fun to play.
    • Sleeping Dogs. The combat alone make it worthwhile to play. It's a pretty unique open-world game, even to this day.

I already have my list ready, but I'm gonna hold on to it for now to see if I missed something.

• Cool, this came as a surprise! Concerning 2012 at first I was like "...The Walking Dead's propably pretty much it?", but nope. There are quickly at least ten games I very much enjoyed. It'll be an interesting task to put those in order (and leave a few behind).

• Don't forget about Dance Central 3, folks. This is arguably the best Kinect game.

• Just wanna point out that Gravity Rush was a 2012 game and spoiler alert is absolutely on my list. Also shout outs to Tokyo Jungle, Rock Band Blitz (which I actually enjoyed more than the mainline Rock Band games) and Xenoblade Chronicles (which came out in 2011 in Europe but 2012 in the US so I'm not sure if that even counts.)

Also I was wondering while I worked on my list whether or not Persona 4 Golden counts. It's a port, but one with a significant amount of new content and changes in my eyes that I'd need a ruling. Honestly though by the time I finished the list, it didn't even make the cut. I'm genuinely surprised considering I thought going in 2012 was a pretty "dry spell" year for me but I ended up having to make quite a few cuts.

• Ooh yup I totally missed Gravity Rush, thanks for pointing it out!

Regarding Xenoblade Chronicles, like you said it came out 2011 in Europe so it would be eligible for GOTY 2011, I know it may feel arbitrary but as long as the rule stays consistent from one vote to the other, every game will have its chance to shine at some point.

As for Persona 4 Golden, I also hesitated and I'm not familiar enough with the game to determine whether the new content is enough for it to qualify as a new game or not. I'll leave it up to the participants to decide!

• Oh right. Secret

• Interesting year. Some of these games were really good but didn't get top tier until later patches/versions. Specifically, Street Fighter x Tekken v.2013 and arguably Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. Then there are games I know are good from what I've played but feel I haven't played enough to vote for, like Dragon's Dogma and Kingdoms of Amalur. I also understand Dragon's Dogma only became top tier with Dark Arisen - again, released in 2013.

With this crowd, I'm predicting strong showings from Journey, Spec Ops, Mass Effect 3 Persona 4: Golden.

• When I started looking at games released this year I thought I was going to struggle, but as I moved through the list it became very, very easy.

Thanks to whoever mentioned Gravity Rush was that year. Such a criminally underappreciated series.

• Hell. Yes. I've been wondering if we would do another before the 2019 list, and I enjoy these so much I've.... uh.... already set up lists..... for, like.... awhile.....

.....I have a problem.....

ANYWAY! Yes, 2012! My list is nine games long for this year, so one is getting the axe (and if it comes up I'll talk about it, but most likely will save it until my wrap-up post in that thread). I'm very excited for this once again! Sending my list now.

• @tokyoslim Votes are secret!

alt text

• Global Moderator

Oh nice one! always enjoy these threads! Gonna give you my votes when I can!

• @sentinel-beach not keeping secrets today

• I urge you all to remember the perfection called Hotline Miami.

• the game i wanted to vote for is not elidgeable so its a pretty thin list from me

• I went through the year and came up with 16 games I really like(d). Way more than I had expected! Pretty tough to cut that number down to eight, ended up throwing away games like Assassin's Creed III and Mass Effect 3. Also Dishonored and even Journey (it never clicked for me!). And I swear if someone helps me get my #2 on the final list we are connected through space and time forever!

• Also wanna give a quick shoutout to Cherry Tree High Comedy Club. I know I'm the only person on this forum that played it but it was a fun little game. Definitely not GOTY material but worth at least acknowledging. If you're into the more slice of life-y aspects of Persona 3/4/5 then I think it's up your alley.

• This is a tough one for me, I have one very clear GOTY, really the only game from that year that I'd consider for an all-time favorites list.

Behind this one, I've narrowed it down to 8 other games (so one will have to go), but I have no idea how to rank those, it's going to depend wildly on my mood when I get to it!

Also, judging from the early votes I've received already, this is going to be the first GOTY in a long while where there's suspense all the way to the end, because your picks are all over the place and there's no game ahead of the pack so far. It's going to be fun for me as I see games overtake each other with every new list.

As for my shawdawwws, don't sleep on the 3DS! It had quite a few great games that year, with Resident Evil: Revelations, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, New Super Mario Bros. 2, etc. And the Wii U launch with Nintendo Land, that was a lot of fun with friends!

• I've confusing memories on NFS Most Wanted, i don't remember if all the fun i had with that game was with the 2012 remake(?) or the original 2005-06 release.

There are some gem here and there, but overall 2012 was one of those dark years in gaming with not much going on, PS3 not performing as Sony wanted, Xbox 360 last years were heavy on casual Kinect games, all the panic for the rise of mobile "is console gaming dying?" that would be the number one question back then.