Vote for the forum's GOTY 2012!

• Global Moderator

Tokyo Jungle shout out! I had a blast with that game. Feels like 2012 was a big year for the smaller game. At least that's what my list will be made up of.

• So far, 14 people have voted, and 53 games have been nominated.

I'm kinda surprised by some of the top picks at the moment, but it's very tight so it's still anyone's game!

• Xenoblade was my goty that year but ill make my eligibile list later

• Global Moderator

This Year has too many good games. Had a real hard time to rank them.

• I'm assuming Persona 4 Golden falls into the port, and not a full remake category, but wanted to ask simply to be sure.

Anyhow weird year, a few interesting games, but it doesn't make me look fondly at those times.

Edit: Noticed this was actually asked before about P4G, I think it is a gray area as they there are significant diferences between the two versions and it is not just a port, but I would leave it out unless it is widely understood that it should be considered.

• Global Moderator

All I'll say is that I absolutely considered Persona 4 Golden.

• I haven't played Persona 4/Golden, but I think it speaks volumes that whenever people speak of the game, they always say Golden. I rarely hear anyone talk about the base game.

• Honestly, the more I look into it, the more I think Persona 4 Golden shouldn't qualify. Sure there's new content and features, but at its core it's still 95% Persona 4. We didn't consider Diablo III Reaper of Souls as a new game for example.

This would set a precedent and basically mean Persona 5 Royal would be eligible next year, which feels wrong to me.

But I've received a couple votes for it already so I feel bad about making those people change their votes now.

• @axel I agree with you about Persona 4 Golden. I assumed Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen wasn't eligible for the 2013 GOTY from earlier this year. This feels like a similar situation. Though, that's just my opinion.

• This is why the rules should have been set in the Opening Post

• I think Persona 4: Golden is much closer to the Game of the Year edition, than to a remake.

• @iboshow Well, they are: ports are not eligible, full remakes are eligible.

But in the case of "enhanced ports" or version 1.5 like that, it's always open to interpretation. Some will argue it's a different game, some will say it's not.

If you guys don't mind, I'll enforce the rule more strictly and say enhanced ports never count. But that means a few of you need to vote again.

Let me know if you feel strongly about it.

• Can we just go over the reason why Ports and Enhanced Ports don't count?

To my understanding, it's so that Ports of games that are already very popular and already had their time to shine don't get brought up and dominate another year, taking the place of another game.

Persona 4 Golden's time to shine was with its original release, Persona 4, and we'll get to that whenever we eventually do 2008. Despite its bells and whistles, it's ultimately just a Port and shouldn't be eligible for 2012.

Otherwise, I'm going to start arguing for Definitive Editions and the like to be eligible, and no one wants that :)

• @hazz3r Yes that's exactly my reasoning.

To be fair, some people simply asked if it was eligible and I left the door open because I wasn't too sure what Golden was, so I brought this on myself.

Now if the ones who voted for P4G don't mind removing it from their lists, I'd prefer that. I apologize for the back and forth, next time I'll draw a clearer line from the start.

• This is the only years for me in which it is hard for me to put 8 games on the list.
    It's a pretty weak year or I just haven't played that many games from it.

@axel said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2012!:

Regarding Xenoblade Chronicles, like you said it came out 2011 in Europe so it would be eligible for GOTY 2011, I know it may feel arbitrary but as long as the rule stays consistent from one vote to the other, every game will have its chance to shine at some point.

Then Pandora's Tower counts for 2012?

• I already left instructions on my ballot for p4g
    I disagree with the reasoning as to why it's not considered though. I likely won't vote for p4 because p4G is the definitive release.

By definitive, I mean, it's the one everyone played and thinks of when they are taking about P4.

• @tokyoslim not everyone

• @ff7cloud ok, so there's like 115 thousand people in the West and 300k in Japan that played P4 when it released.

P4G sold, what... a million five?

• @neocweeny said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2012!:

This is the only years for me in which it is hard for me to put 8 games on the list.
    It's a pretty weak year or I just haven't played that many games from it.

@axel said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2012!:

Regarding Xenoblade Chronicles, like you said it came out 2011 in Europe so it would be eligible for GOTY 2011, I know it may feel arbitrary but as long as the rule stays consistent from one vote to the other, every game will have its chance to shine at some point.

Then Pandora's Tower counts for 2012?

Yes, it release in Europe in 2012

• @neocweeny Yup in this case it counts.

@TokyoSlim I can't force you but I think you could still vote for P4 for the 2008 GOTY, just as some people who may be voting for Diablo III now are likely not voting for the crappy version of the game that came out in 2012, but rather the game it became as it improved over the years. There's no perfect solution, by doing those retro GOTY we're bound to have situations like this, with games that have been re-released and evolved over time, and played by people at different times.