Vote for the forum's GOTY 2012!

• Also I wan't to remind everyone that this is just some arbitrary rating by some arbitrary people. If your favorite game is not allowed that doesn't make it any worse and it doesn't make your enjoyment of it any less real.

• @ffff0 Yes for sure, like I said above I don't want to ruin anyone's enjoyment, these threads are supposed to be fun, and I'm actually doing this because I feel like the other way around (allowing such re-releases) would eventually generate more issues and arguments.

• @axel are these rhetorical questions or do you want me to answer them? lol

If Royal adds and changes nearly as much as P4G did I think it should be considered it's own release. It's funny that you make the case that all of P4G's changes in modern times would make it considered to be a patched update that would be dlc now, but then point out that Royal is in fact coming and is clearly not a patched DLC. I don't even know if Royal is going to change as much as P4G did. I kind of doubt it, considering it was literally a generational leap in gameplay from P4 to P4G going from offline to online and 4:3 to 16:9 and we don't really have that anymore. I guess VR and 4kHDR are that for right now.

But if Royal is among the best games of 2020, I don't see why voting on it would be an issue or muddies things. Can you tell me why you're averse to that outcome? If anything, I think p5's relative popularity would HURT Royal in the voting as I don't think nearly as many people are going to play it as the original, and there's a metric shit ton of other games to play right now. A lot of people won't even bother.

I think discussing whether a game counts or not is more fun than just sending in a list in a dead thread and waiting for you to compile results, but maybe that's just me. :)

• @tokyoslim No I don't expect you to answer them, I'm just pointing out that if we don't draw a clear line, these are the kind of questions we would have to collectively answer every single time if we opened that can of worms. And it's not like we would end up agreeing, there would just be resentment on either side of each debate. You and I are already arguing endlessly over one game, so imagine the chaos... ;)

Yes P5R is doing a re-release instead of patched updates, but tons of games add significant content for free these days. Look at Smash adding new modes regularly, Mario & Rabbids added new multiplayer modes, there's hundreds of examples. Back then, those additions could only have happened with a re-release/port and following your logic, we would have to consider them brand new games, and I really can't agree with that.

Another example comes to mind, Dragon Quest XI on Switch this year gets a shitton of additions, the entire 2D mode, the old DQ worlds, new voices, new character stories, etc. It's very comparable to the P4G changes, and I also don't think it should be eligible for this year.

My issue with P5 (or Xenoblade, or any other "definitive" edition) potentially winning GOTY 2020 is simply that it's lame to see games that have already been celebrated to steal the spot of actual 2020 games. We'll see how it turns out, but I don't expect actual award shows like The Game Awards or EZA to consider it as eligible either. If they do, feel free to point at me and laugh next year :)

• @axel said in Vote for the forum's GOTY 2012!:

GOTY 2020 is simply that it's lame to see games that have already been celebrated to steal the spot of actual 2020 games.

And back to my main point, about this specific instance P4G is the more celebrated game. Not p4. So you're doing exactly what you're trying to avoid. :)

Haven't played either DQXI nor the switch version so I can't possibly comment. I think that should be how things go in general. I'm not voting on things I didn't play.

• Only because we're doing the years in reverse. If we did 2008 first, people would have voted for Persona 4 (even if they played Golden), and there would be no problem.

• @axel Seems like an assumption. I would not have. Especially considering the competition is different games.

• Update: 25 people have now voted, for 67 games.

2 games are fighting it out for the top spot, neck and neck. Below them, a trio within 5 points of each other complete the top 5.

In total, 17 games have 8 points or more, so those are pretty much a lock for the final rankings.

Ideally, I'd love to get at least 5 more people to vote so we can have a pretty solid list, so please keep voting!

• @axel ill get to it tonight.iv just been busy with astral chain

• @bigdude1 No rush, I'll probably close the votes after this weekend.

We now have 29 participants, and 69 games.

A vote or two could still change who's number 1, it's been a while since it's been this tight.

22 games now have 8 points or more, and 3 others have 7 points, so we could end up with a tidy top 25.

I feel like 30 voters really is the sweet spot to have a meaningful ranking so thanks again to everyone who's participating.

If you haven't voted yet, it's not too late, the more the merrier!

• Final call for your votes, send me a PM if you want to participate!

Ill start revealing the final rankings on Monday.