Gears 5 (Xbox One/PC)

• Xbox Gamepass Ultimate 2 Months for £2 and Gears 5 out today? Don't mind if I do. How Microsoft makes any money today, I don't know. Their financial strategists are way beyond normal humans at this point.

I haven't played Gears since 3, but I'm really enjoying the little I played tonight. Hoping to get a really big dent in over the Weekend, finishing Campaign and tucking into the MP , Horde and Escape proper.

Also, I'm only into Chapter 3 but the Writing has come a long way since Gears 3. We're not chasing after MacGuffins anymore! Woohoo! Finally!

• I never really liked Gears after trying 1 & 2. I felt like there was too much shoot shoot shoot, but if I can play the original trilogy on Gamepass (and I like it), I’ll do my typical full series playthrough before Gears 5.

I always appreciate a good series

• Finished the game today. Had some technical problems during many of cut-scenes- the game froze for several seconds (played on PC with M.2 SSD). But gameplay is rock-solid and campaign is fun. Especially driving the Skiff - I can do this whole day.

• @ffff0 I'm having the same cut-scene freezing on my pc too. It was really bad at the end of Act 1. I haven't finished the game yet but I'm enjoying what I have played so far.

• @shoulderguy Try hitting Pause as soon as the game freezes. Sometimes it helps a bit. Personally once I finished the game I just went to YouTube and rewatched what I missed.

• I'm having cut-scene stuttering, especially towards the end of Act 2. Also getting texture glitches and huge texture stretching issues when moving between areas in Act 2. I'm hoping its better in Act 3.

• I haven't had any issues with the campaign through the first two acts, though I have had them with multiplayer. Shame for all the weird technical issues people are having as the game itself is really impressive.

• I finished the campaign. I really liked all the changes they made to the Gears formula. The game looks, sounds and plays great despite a few technical problems with cut-scene freezing issues I had early on. The story is mostly well done with some of the best character moments I have seen in a Gears game. Although, I feel like all the interesting story stuff happens in the first half of the game. With the last half just setting up the next Gears game. Also, shout out to the best Gears character Cole Train. Can't stop the Train, baby. WHOO!

• I finished the game today and while I really enjoyed it, the game is mired in technical issues.

My game softlocked in Act 3, and I had to lose all the progress I had made towards the side objectives in the 2 or so hours I had spent, as well as replay some main mission content. Even more annoying is that the softlock is caused by doing the main missions out of order, something that the game actively encourages by making the main Acts open world and encouraging you to explore.

What's worse, lots of my Main Story playtime has been lost. According to the stats, I have not played most of the Acts in Act 2 or Act 1, despite having played Act 3 and 4 to completion. You'd have thought the game was intelligent enough to realise that if I've played Act 4 to completion, I MUST have beaten the entire game. But no.

I'm yet to play any of the other modes, but I'll probably leave Gears 5 until they can get a solid patch out that will solve most of the issues. Despite the technical issues, the game is well designed and the writing has definitely taken an upturn. But equally, I'm so glad I didn't pay full price for this absolute mess.