Are Your Friends as into Gaming as you are?

• Sup Allies,

Was just wondering, are your personal friends as into gaming as you are? Personally, in my close circle of friends, some are into gaming but it isn't really their main hobby. My brother in law is as in to gaming as I am so I often talk to him about all the latest news and what not.

Wanna hear from you guys tho, you got a hardcore group of gamers in your circle of friends or do you have to turn to forums like this to discuss your favorite hobby?

• I have friends who spend much more time playing games, but are far less interested in games than I am---if that makes any sense.

• @ringedwithtile Yeah totally, like maybe they are super into WoW and play it more then you play video games in general, but if you ask them what trailers they liked from TGS they would have no idea what your talking about.

Do you play the same game(s) as them?

• Most of my friends play only one or two particular games a year. They play online multiplayer games such as Apex Legends, PUBG, Overwatch, World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV. While some of them occasionally play older games they liked from when they were younger. I'm kinda the opposite. I play a variety of newer single player games and I normally don't stick with any one game for too long.

• Not at all, none of my close friends own a gaming system.

• Personally speaking, it's a mixed bag:

My closest friends are into gaming (one more so than the other), but that comes with two caveats:

1.) While interested in news or important topics, they don't follow as thoroughly as I do. Example: While I eat, sleep, live, and breathe E3, Game Awards, one-off events, trailers, etc., my friends don't follow it and typically what they don't see in passing, they'll rely on me to get them news only about things they're interested in.

2.) Our tastes are different. They're into things like Ark, Sea of Thieves, Minecraft, Fallout, Warframe, and Dark Souls to name a few while I'm more into things like Gears, Halo, Borderlands, and a crap ton of single player focused games. On top of this, my closest friends have become a part of another group of people I don't know, and they play with each other exponentially more so than with me. Granted, because I only use the Xbox as my sole "Co-op or Multiplayer" machine with my PS4 a completely siloed off environment, (and my picky tastes), I understand the games I listed for myself are the only ones I can play with said friends. The bummer is they don't care to stick with them, particularly if they don't want to finish once they start.

Outside of said closest friends, the majority of my other friends that DO game, only game with each other because 1.) They're on PS4. I JUST said Xbox was my "Other people" console before I met them and 2.) They've told me it isn't worth the investment of creating a separate PS4 account and get games I don't like such as Overwatch, Rocket League, Destiny 2, etc. to play with them.

So all in all and long windedness aside: No one I know personally is as into games as I am outside of those who do their own thing, while I'm kind of secluded in my own interests with no outlet to properly get it out.

• Most of my friends play games, but I wouldn't say they are into gaming. They each have a few games that they play all the time, but that's it. Honestly, I think that's why most of us are here. We all want to talk about games, but none of our friends share the same passion we do. This forum is our outlet.

• I have a few that are interested but not at the same level, and more particularly they tend to have a certain range of games or genres they follow, one of my roomates in particular is pretty interested he just doesn't follow things closely and doesn't have as much time as I do for playing.

• I'm 39 years old. I don't have friends.

• Most of my friends that I know usually only play free to play games since games are a relatively expensive to get into. With the rise of mobile gaming in recent years, most of my friends have gravitated towards it, playing games like PUBG mobile and stuff. Other than F2P games, sports games are a big thing, especially football (soccer).

Come to think of it, it's funny that I've been the one get my friends to play more games. Especially in middle school where time is far from a rare commodity. I used to get my friend to try out multiplayer games with me during school breaks on our laptops, or just watch me play cool stuff. I beat one of the bosses in Dark Souls while my whole class is watching one time, lol.

Anyway, I have only met one person that is in to games as much as I do, and it's one of my classmates I'm currently with in college. I don't hang around with him much but he's a super cool dude.

• Yes but different games usually. We all come together for Smash, but that's about it.

• Huh, its kinda weird we all find ourselves in similar boats. I wonder why there aren't more groups of friends that are all into gaming. You think maybe he has to do with growing up and taste differing or maturing? Some of my friends were more into games when we were in middle/high school and now we're well into our 30s and my group of friends is like a lot mentioned here. Few friends are really into Overwatch, PUBG or Apex Lengends but none of my friends are watching press conferences are seeking out the newest trailers for upcoming games.

Just kinda weird, a friend group like Easy Allies seems a little too few and far between.

• Same as everyone else it seems - I'm probably the most into games/games media of my friends, and easily the most knowledgable. I also play games the least by a fairly wide margin. When I go home I tend to play a lot of Smash Bros and Mario Kart, and not much else. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I do on my own time. I never thought about it much, though.

• Don't know how old everyone posting is but at 33 I'm not really in the market to make more friends at this point (very introverted personality), except if they were really into gaming like I am. This is a void in my friendships I would like to close, don't know bout everyone else but it kinda sucks to not be able to share your excitement about your hobby with close friends.

Like I mentioned before, I have a brother in law that is just as into gaming as I am but he does media blackout for certain games. It sucks when I'm really excited cuz of the new FF7 remake trailer but he doesn't want to watch it cuz they are in media blackout for that game.