The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• Spec Ops: The Line

#10. Spec Ops: The Line - 15 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 0
    #3: 3 (tokeeffe9, ffff0, Phbz)
    #4: 1 (bard91)
    HM: 4 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Sentinel Beach, Capnbobamous, Ringedwithtile)

Information

Release date: June 26 [US], June 29 [EU]
    Developer: Yager Development
    Publisher: 2K Games
    Genre: Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Spec-Ops! I had completely forgotten this game came out in 2012. A game that I heard about years later, the narrative being lauded via word-of-mouth is what really has strengthened the mythos over time.

While having Nolan North in it gains personal points, I already know about the various plot points and major twists. Coupled with what I've consistently heard as "generic" gameplay, I think I've heard enough to make it feel like its not worth playing.

Timely, this entry, what with the

White phosphorous in the coming CoD: Modern Warfare

• This is an interesting case. I've played this game when it came out on PS Plus and was completely surprised that it had a deep story which a lot of things to say. The funny thing is, I remember almost nothing about it's story. But I remember that it left a lasting impression back then, so I'm confident with my vote.

• This has been on my to-play list for years! Maybe I'll get it on Steam one day.

• Three of my HM's in a row now suddenly, cool. Spec Ops is a perfect game from 2012 deserving a shout-out. That feeling of cruel reality and its impact slowly turning into a madness creeping in in various ways was a fascinating thing to witness. Liked the writing in this a lot.

• This game is really good! I'm sort of indifferent on the gameplay, but the story really knocks it out of the park. There's not much I can say about it that hasn't already been said, but if you haven't played it yet, you should.

• Kid Icarus: Uprising

#9. Kid Icarus: Uprising - 16 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Chocobop, Bigdude1)
    #2: 0
    #3: 1 (NeoCweeny)
    #4: 1 (Axel)
    HM: 1 (GageBlackW23)

Information

Release date: March 23 [US/EU]
    Developer: Sora Ltd.
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Genre: Third-person shooter
    Platform(s): Nintendo 3DS

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• There are several reasons why Kid Icarus never really appealed to me:

• A little too much fourth wall breaking
    • Never owned a 3DS
    • Gameplay style didn't really entice me
    • And least importantly: Not a fan of how it looks, both in art style and the way it runs

Still, it's commendable how much of a big deal Kid Icarus is ESPECIALLY when made by the Smash team. And with that in mind, I have the same feelings that I alluded to in my Max Payne post: I'm curious (if not outright doubtful) if we'll see more when there's a more successful project the development team has in its portfolio.

• Between the lovable characters and volume of content, Kid Icarus: Uprising feels like playing a game in a much more prolific series than it actually is. Musical tracks, jokes, enemy variety, weapon variety, and just all around charming voice acting. The on ground combat is a little crazy with the controls and weapon styles, but it works. It is certainly far better than it has any right being for such an offbeat gameplay system, and if they had a chance to iterate upon it I think fans wouldn't even need to be forgiving/open minded about it. The only thing I dislike unequivocally is that you will probably spend a lot of time mucking around with your inventory between missions. The cost of having good enough weapon stats/numbers is wasting lots of time fusing weapons and comparing your best ones in the training range.

Evidently it didn't do well enough to be worth using Sakurai's limited bandwidth, but someone else really needs to be trusted to continue with the IP and the "rebooted" characters.

• @sentinel-beach Hell fucking yeah. One of my favorite moments in any game.

• @brannox the forth wall breaks works for kid Icarus so well. Truly a masterpiece

• Phew, a few to catch up on.

RE: Revelations was very good considering what the series was going through. It being a handheld title meant nothing as it outdid most of the years games.

Far Cry 3 was..ok. It was better than 2, but didn't knock the original from its high tower. Past the original though, 5 has topped it

Spec Ops was good. Not top 8 good, but well worth the cult following it later gained. A sharp reminder not to write any game off based on first impressions.

Max Payne 3 was a severe disappointment, I was just glad to see the end of it. A game I'd normally just play and forget, but it sticks out as such a black mark on what was a fantastic set of games, mostly because it seems like it's how its going to be sent off.

Kid Icarus was amazing, it really was and oh my god were the ongoing conversations throughout entertaining. It wasn't on my list, but only because the year was just that good. Palutena for character of the year though!

• Hotline Miami

#8. Hotline Miami - 18 points

Votes

#1: 2 (Sentinel Beach, NeoCweeny)
    #2: 1 (Brandon_Reister)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 4 (Shoulderguy, Hanabi, SunPraiser, Ringedwithtile)

Information

Release date: October 23 [US/EU]
    Developer: Dennaton Games
    Publisher: Devolver Digital
    Genre: Top-down shooter
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• It is just so, so satisfying to have "the run" and to paint a room full of mobsters red.

• When I think of what I call the "Retro Resurgence," Hotline Miami is right next to the likes of Shovel Knight and Celeste as that combination of pixel art style with easy to learn, difficult to do gameplay. In addition to that, the soundtrack also does a lot of good, and compliments the game well.

While not completely my cup of tea, it's heartwarming to see smaller games like Hotline Miami high on this list.

• It was free somewhere, so I played it for one minute. It's pixelated and has unvoiced dialogues which are a huge red flags for me.

• Most games I stop playing after I beat them. Hotline is an exception to that. There are some levels so fun I must have played them 10 or more times. There is just something that clicked for me between the soundtrack (which is amazing) and the extreme fast paced violence of the game that made it one of my all time favorites. It also doesn't hurt that my favorite mask to use was named Brandon.

• Great game. Good gameplay and really good story. Even just for the find out what is all these mean, you want to continue. Also, different masks different power mechanic adds variety.

One the best indies I've ever played. Soundtrack is very nice too.

• I have this sitting on my Vita (and the second game too), only played a couple levels so I can't justify voting for it but I'm having a blast so far.

• The way Hotline Miami connects its ingredients is simply hypnotic, this game puts me in the zone. The story and the violence are actually horrible but you don't realize it too much while playing because the excellent soundtrack and the simple game mechanics with an instant retry after death get you so pumped and focused. Only when you've killed everyone the music stops and you have to return to your car through all that carnage you just inflicted moments ago.

I don't know. I just consider this game one of those perfect video games where everything works and each individual part compliments the others. An awful lot of replayability as well. Hotline Miami 2 had sadly lost much of the first one's magic and playing it felt way too often frustrating instead of fun and exhilarating or intense and exciting. The soundtrack was luckily still excellent in that as well.

Special shout-outs to my favourite songs in this one (though it really is all good):

• M O O N - Hydrogen
    • Scattle - Knock Knock
    • Perturbator - Miami Disco
    • El Huervo - Turf Main