The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• In mid-90s my parents bought me a book about video games. It had lots of short descriptions and two detailed walkthroughs. One of those walkthroughs was X-Com: UFO Defense. I had no PC at that time (and of course no consoles) so I’ve never played it. But I’ve read that walkthrough again and again imagining I playing it.

Flash forward to 2012. XCOM: Enemy Unknown comes out and gets great reviews. I start playing it and it is exactly the same game I imagined playing nearly two decades ago. I had absolutely magical experience going through its campaign.

It’s #6 on my list because while this magical experience is tied to this game it has almost nothing to do with game’s qualities. It’s a great game, but I played more enjoyable 2012 games.

• I really like XCOM: Enemy Unknown, but it only gets my #4 partially because so many of my favorite games came out in 2012 and partially because of a problem that pretty much all tactics games have: a difficulty cliff. I have found that whenever I get past the half way mark in a tactics game it gets way too easy. It seems the developers don't take into account players optimizing all of their dudes later into the game. The harder difficulties only make this problem worse with a near impossible beginning that becomes a cakewalk by the end. That being said XCOM: Enemy Unknown might be one of my top 10 games of all time if not for it's sequel.

• @brandon_reister i personally love the reverse difficulty curve, especially in the context of XCOM where you're caught off guard at first by the superior aliens but as it goes on you develop better technologies to counter them.

• When taking a look at all the releases in 2012, I thought for SURE XCOM would place in the top three here. I love the concept (though I've always shied away from Strategy games), and tying in Permadeath really gives your every single decision weight, leading a demanding, but what looks like to be a VERY satisfying experience.... If you're lucky enough.

And I guess that's the biggest personal turn-off for me. I've heard stories of a character being on the exact next spot to an enemy, but the probability of hitting it would be abysmal. That's just something that breaks it for me. However, as I said, XCOM is one of those games that earns its praise and is for those patient enough to stick with it.

We've now gotten to the top five! I'm now legitimately curious if my remaining top games (#1, 3, and 4) will make an appearance, because they're all big names and if even one is out I would be shocked.

• Super happy Sleeping Dogs made the top 10, it's one of my favourite games ever, and still today one of my favourite open worlds.

I love the vibes, they got Hong Kong right: the night market, driving while it rains at night with all the neon signs, listening to classic chinese music,... all the relevant characters are very charming.

I'm probably a minority but and i prefer it over any GTA or even any Yakuza: the world is smaller but with no empty unused zones unlike GTA, it has better melee combat but it's not a recycle of the same areas over and over like the Yakuza games. The Definitive Edition that came 2 years after (free update for those who purchased the game, it was very generous) included all the DLCs and vastly improved the graphics.

Shame it's basically dead now and Square Enix won't bring it back, they had a competent alternative to GTA and they ruined it. The ideas for the cancelled sequel (before Square turned it into an MMO) were also very promising.

• Gravity Rush

#5. Gravity Rush - 23 points

Votes

#1: 3 (Hanabi, Tearju Engi, El Shmiablo)
    #2: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    #3: 1 (SunPraiser)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (bam541)

Information

Release date: June 12 [US], June 15 [EU]
    Developer: SCE Japan Studio
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action-adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Gravity Rush is probably the best new IP of this generation. Nothing like falling with style.

• Got to play this through the remastered PS4 version. The thing that really got me in this game is the world and the setting: it just feels so unique and charming. Kat is a fun character to play as, and the characters you meet along the way are all at the very least interesting. A big city separated by multiple islands suspended in the air around a big ass tree is a fun place to explore, especially when you can fly like in this game. The controls doesn't feel as tight as it should be, and I think it being a portable game probably held back the production values, graphics, technical aspects and such but it was definitely a promising start to a potentially great new IP (and I think it did become great, proven by the sequel which is one of my favorite games ever).

• Love Gravity Rush, just didn't love it enough to make the 8. Had it of been 10 then definitely.

• Again, played it as a PS Plus game for Vita. I liked it, but not enough for the top 8.

• While Gravity Rush doesn't initially do it for me, I do like the locales and some gameplay I've seen. But more importantly, I don't believe there is a better mascot for the Vita than Gravity Rush:

A (mostly in mainstream sense) overlooked, high-quality title that has a dedicated fan base and was one of the few games that probably was the strongest for the system (a.k.a., outside of the brand names of Uncharted and the like, I see this game as a Vita seller at the time).

• I would've liked to get to know Gravity Rush, but I checked some reviews and videos beforehand and the movement and the world turning around all the time made my head spin too much. I kinda got the sense very quickly that I wouldn't sadly have good time with the game because of those aspects. Which are actually its whole gimmick, pretty much. :/

• I want to love this game, but unfortunately it makes me motion sick. Still a really cool concept though.

• Journey

#4. Journey - 27 points

Votes

#1: 3 (tokeeffe9, Lotias, naltmank)
    #2: 1 (SunPraiser)
    #3: 1 (Capnbobamous)
    #4: 1 (Ringedwithtile)
    HM: 3 (Hidz, Exist 2 Inspire, Tearju Engi)

Information

Release date: March 13 [US], March 14 [EU]
    Developer: Thatgamecompany
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I like Walking Simulators and I like this game but for some reason it doesn't impress me that much. But I'm glad it got #4.

• I've heard constant praise for Journey and how it will only take two hours, which should be enough for me to give it a go, but I've learned several times over: Don't get a game just because everybody else likes it.

Two hours is nothing really in today's age of live-service, plus I'm pretty sure it's pretty cheap. But I just don't feel the pull for it. Which is a shame, because this games look very good. Also, I THINK this maybe the first time we've had an entry with at least one vote at every spot.

• I remember picking up Journey as I waited for my copy of Blades of Time to arrive. My friend suggested I gave it a go and reassured me that it was a very short game. He wasn't wrong, I finished it well before the post arrived, but it truly was one of the most excruciatingly dull experiences I have experienced with videogames. I didn't like the style, I didn't like the music and the whole thing came across as incredibly pretentious, especially its ending. The worst part though was right towards the end. I was so looking forward to putting it to bed at that point, but it slows the whole thing down to a crawl (literally) as it forces you do fight against the wind approaching the top of the mountain, not fun at all.

It's definitely a game that has stuck in my mind ever since, just sad it wasn't in a positive way.

• The game's beautiful in more than one way and I've played it through a couple of times, but I just never actually "got" the game. Or I mean I get it, but it just doesn't speak to me like to so many others. Flower remains my favourite from thatgamecompany.

• I remember playing this once or twice. It's neat enough but I don't think I could ever consider some little two-hour "experience" GOTY material.

• 4 of my votes haven't surfaced yet and we only have 3 spots left. I wonder which game will not make the cut: The Walking Dead, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored or Dance Central 3...