The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• I didn’t play many new games from 2012 but Journey would have been my GOTY. However, I only played it one time in 2014 when it released on PS4 and I was really stoned.

Those camera angles is what stands out most to me. The silhouette of your silk people sliding down the sand kinda like a side scroller while some amazing music plays.

I really liked this game and believed the hype once it played it 2 years later.

• Im starting to get worried one of my favourite games of all time didn't even make the top 25. I'd be devastated.

• Global Moderator

Journey really blew me away in so many ways. Simple, beautiful music and scenery. I still dreamed of the slide through the sandfall for a long time after I had gone through it. If you havent played it, you should!

• @ffff0 Damn. It sucks Dishonored ain't gonna make it.

Edit: damn autocorrect

• Three spots left. We'll see....

• Dishonored

#3. Dishonored - 34 points

Votes

#1: 3 (E_Zed_Eh_Intern, Brannox, paulmci27)
    #2: 2 (Hidz, Exist 2 Inspire)
    #3: 2 (El Shmiablo, Brandon_Reister)
    #4: 0
    HM: 5 (bam541, Hazz3r, tokeeffe9, Lotias, ffff0)

Information

Release date: October 9 [US], October 12 [EU]
    Developer: Arkane Studios
    Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
    Genre: Action-adventure, Stealth
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Surely this just means that Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed and Rhythm Heaven Fever are the top two games, and that those beauties weren't shafted hard in this poll.

• @hanabi I have one of those an HM. Not saying which but I hate rhythm games.

• Dishonored is #7 on my list. Great graphics for that gen (although I played it on PC)! Also it have great stealth and interesting level design. Solving its environmental puzzles was very enjoyable. Sadly, the story is forgettable, otherwise it would be higher on my list.

• I really like games like Dishonored because there is so much enjoyment to be had replaying them. Going from a 100% unseen pacifist run to a kill anything that moves run was so much fun because I could use all the things I learned by sneaking around to my advantage while also getting to use all the sweet combat powers that I didn't need previously. Sadly while the world seems pretty cool @ffff0 is right on the money about the plot so it only got my #3 spot.

• Didn't think Dishonored would be so high here, there's usually very little talk or praise of it. But okay, 12 people voted for it. I played the Definitive Edition on PS4 a few years ago, the game's pretty enjoyable and has a clear art style, but I never returned for the "absolute sneak playthrough" later on I imagined I'd do. Never touched Dishonored 2 either.

• This is the same case with Gravity Rush for me, where a franchise debut game executes the main ideas well enough, has a lot of unique qualities and feel to it, and left a couple of things that could be improved with a sequel (which Dishonored 2 did in flying colors imo, like Gravity Rush 2 did). This was a pretty shiny gem in the last generation's nearly-final moments.

The one thing I still remember from this game is stamping one of assassination targets with a heretic sign in the face so I don't have to kill him, leaving his reputation forever tarnished. It felt pretty great when I did that.

Bonus story, I remember playing it on my PS3 and every time my brother walked in, he kept saying about how grotty and blurry the game looks, lol. Poor ol' PS3 was nearing it's limits.

• I don't know. I want to play it in some capacity but art style is not my cup of tea really. I like it when games are cell-shaded or ''realistic looking'' but I don't like very much when they are inbetween.

• Dishonored is in this really weird place for me. I really don't like it as a whole package. The game actively discourages you from using all the cool tools and abilities it offers you to come up with unique and novel ways to assassinate people. I hate that with a passion, especially in a post HITMAN (2016) world, which completely nails what let Dishonored down in my view.

That said, the moment to moment gameplay of this game is sublime. Throwing away the concerns for the story, slowly becoming a supernatural murder machine is some of the most fun I've had in games.

• I've already gushed much about Hitman and most of that love is the same love I have for Dishonored. But then this is Hitman with blink. So much fun to approach things however you want. I also never play games for the story so that it I remember very little of it is of no consequence.

Like others, I never played 2. No idea why. Also glad to see this just edged out a 2-hour walking (floating) sim.

• Dishonored I liked ok, but never finished.

• I was worried for a while there. Dishonered is such an amazing game. Is has actual level design (remember what that was Ubisoft) the world building, lore & environmental design helps you get immersed in the world. Stringing
    the powers together, being able to ghost a level is so satisfying. Also Lady Boyles Party is one of the best levels in gaming. I can understand why some people don't get it as most games tend to lead you nose nowadays, people don't like to think too much.

• While many have hit on several of the reasons why this is my 2012, GOTY I would like to add just a couple of points that also endeared me to the game.

The first being its world. I find the concept of a steampunkish setting dealing with a viral epidemic to be fascinating, and this aesthetic lent well to the ingenious level design. Personally, the Golden Cat, the Hound Pits Pub, and the Flooded District also stand with the Boyle Estate as memorable locales and the levels, with multiple paths, opportunities, and open-ended nature packed so many secrets, pick-ups, and gameplay moments that make them just as strong as the narrative.

And for me, I really enjoyed said narrative. I liked the twist and the last level being so fundamentally different based upon your choices was, for me, jaw-dropping. Encouraging replayability plus the two story DLC, Dishonored is phenomenal. And the sequel is even better in every way.

And finally, as is my custom, shout-outs to everybody who shared, in a little or larger way, in the enjoyment of a great game!: @bam541, @Hazz3r, @tokeeffe9, @Lotias, @ffff0, @El-Shmiablo, @Brandon_Reister, @Hidz, @Exist-2-Inspire, and especially @E_Zed_Eh_Intern, and @paulmci27 !

• Mass Effect 3

#2. Mass Effect 3 - 37 points

Votes

#1: 2 (ffff0, Brandon_Reister)
    #2: 3 (Hazz3r, Capnbobamous, naltmank)
    #3: 2 (Brannox, Lotias)
    #4: 3 (Shoulderguy, Hidz, paulmci27)
    HM: 3 (Sazime, Exist 2 Inspire, bard91)

Information

Release date: March 6 [US], March 9 [EU]
    Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• The Walking Dead

#1. The Walking Dead - 43 points

Votes

#1: 4 (Capnbobamous, Axel, Hidz, SunPraiser)
    #2: 2 (Shoulderguy, bard91)
    #3: 3 (Sentinel Beach, Hazz3r, naltmank)
    #4: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    HM: 4 (ffff0, Brandon_Reister, paulmci27, Ringedwithtile)

Information

Release date: April 24 [US/EU]
    Developer: Telltale Games
    Publisher: Telltale Games
    Genre: Graphic adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review