The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• Dishonored I liked ok, but never finished.

• I was worried for a while there. Dishonered is such an amazing game. Is has actual level design (remember what that was Ubisoft) the world building, lore & environmental design helps you get immersed in the world. Stringing
    the powers together, being able to ghost a level is so satisfying. Also Lady Boyles Party is one of the best levels in gaming. I can understand why some people don't get it as most games tend to lead you nose nowadays, people don't like to think too much.

• While many have hit on several of the reasons why this is my 2012, GOTY I would like to add just a couple of points that also endeared me to the game.

The first being its world. I find the concept of a steampunkish setting dealing with a viral epidemic to be fascinating, and this aesthetic lent well to the ingenious level design. Personally, the Golden Cat, the Hound Pits Pub, and the Flooded District also stand with the Boyle Estate as memorable locales and the levels, with multiple paths, opportunities, and open-ended nature packed so many secrets, pick-ups, and gameplay moments that make them just as strong as the narrative.

And for me, I really enjoyed said narrative. I liked the twist and the last level being so fundamentally different based upon your choices was, for me, jaw-dropping. Encouraging replayability plus the two story DLC, Dishonored is phenomenal. And the sequel is even better in every way.

And finally, as is my custom, shout-outs to everybody who shared, in a little or larger way, in the enjoyment of a great game!: @bam541, @Hazz3r, @tokeeffe9, @Lotias, @ffff0, @El-Shmiablo, @Brandon_Reister, @Hidz, @Exist-2-Inspire, and especially @E_Zed_Eh_Intern, and @paulmci27 !

• Mass Effect 3

#2. Mass Effect 3 - 37 points

Votes

#1: 2 (ffff0, Brandon_Reister)
    #2: 3 (Hazz3r, Capnbobamous, naltmank)
    #3: 2 (Brannox, Lotias)
    #4: 3 (Shoulderguy, Hidz, paulmci27)
    HM: 3 (Sazime, Exist 2 Inspire, bard91)

Information

Release date: March 6 [US], March 9 [EU]
    Developer: BioWare
    Publisher: Electronic Arts
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• The Walking Dead

#1. The Walking Dead - 43 points

Votes

#1: 4 (Capnbobamous, Axel, Hidz, SunPraiser)
    #2: 2 (Shoulderguy, bard91)
    #3: 3 (Sentinel Beach, Hazz3r, naltmank)
    #4: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    HM: 4 (ffff0, Brandon_Reister, paulmci27, Ringedwithtile)

Information

Release date: April 24 [US/EU]
    Developer: Telltale Games
    Publisher: Telltale Games
    Genre: Graphic adventure
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• Ahhhhhh, so CLOSE on two of my votes being the GOTY. Ah well ^.^ Also, I'm very sorry this is too long to read.

Before getting into this massive post, I just want to briefly touch on the one of the above I didn't play, THE 2012 Game of the Year, The Walking Dead.

The problem with EXTREMELY popular narratives in games (especially in today's day and age of Twitter, YouTube comments, etc.), is massively impactful plot twists and narrative moments don't have a long shelf life in being kept secret. Plus, by the time I really started following along in the hobby beyond my own interests, it had been years since release.

Because of this, the crescendo of this game will never be topped in this genre with Telltale no longer what it is. I've never cared for this style of game (the only one I've played being Tales of the Borderlands and even then I feel meh on it), so I have absolutely no desire to ever go through the entire game. (Plus, the notorious tech issues...)

With that out of the way, getting into Mass Effect 3, I'm just going to go ahead and get this out of the way:

(Looks left, right, then back left)

The ending isn't the worst thing ever.

CONTEXT! I didn't get into the series until some time after this game came out. One day, I was sitting in an Xbox Live Party with some friends who were talking about it (So I knew Shepard's fate, but didn't really pay that much attention) and one of said friends tried HARD to sell me on not just 3, but the entire trilogy as a whole. Likening it Star Trek with psychic powers, I got the trilogy and I'm happy I did. It's become one of my favorite trilogies ever.

But as for the rest of the game, I loved the stakes kept getting higher (though by the time I DID reach ME 3, I felt it bizarre that we have Earth attacked at the start then not come back until the climax). I loved visiting the Turian moon Palavan and the Asari homeworld Thessia. I think Kai is an EXCELLENT villain to despise, and the Illusive Man being frustrating in being blinded by his motivations (Though I DO feel robbed if you go ultra Paragon). And finally, I mentioned when talking about Borderlands 2, there was another game that had a DLC that rivaled Tiny Tina's on being my favorite, and the Citadel is that DLC. The story isn't THAT great, but it's the Party that's so memorable. Having everybody there possible, all interacting with one another gave me the best version of one of my favorite Huberisms: CULMINATION. The feels after that party after spending three games investing in everyone. Chef's kiss

I know I JUST did this with Dishonored, but again, it makes me happy to share my enthusiasm with others who like the same games I do. So here we go again! Massive shout-outs and high-fives to: @Sazime, @Exist-2-Inspire, @bard91, @Shoulderguy, @Hidz, @paulmci27, @Lotias, @Hazz3r, @Capnbobamous, @naltmank, @ffff0, and @Brandon_Reister !

So that the first half of this novel about the top 2 is over, onto my full list!

1. Dishonored
    2. Borderlands 2
    3. Mass Effect 3
    4. Halo 4
    5. (Honorable Mention) Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    6. (Honorable Mention) Resistance: Burning Skies
    7. (Honorable Mention) Assassin's Creed III
    8. (Honorable Mention) Kingdom Hearts: Dream, Drop, Distance
    9. (Didn't make the cut) Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault

To touch on those that didn't make it in ascending order:

Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault is a major disappointment. Tower defense has never been my thing, and the crucial elements that give the franchise heart (Vast and wacky weaponry, endearing narrative, diverse planets, etc.) were all missing. Everything is just not good, and rivals Size Matters as my lowest ranking R&C game. And the fact this was developed by Insomniac blows my mind. Finally, you can't start a new game from scratch. Just replay story missions from a menu on a pre-existing save. So it suffers this same problem as Crackdown and Sunset Overdrive.

Kingdom Hearts: Dream, Drop, Distance is... trying, on both patience and rationality (and that's saying something for a Kingdom Hearts game). The forced "drop" mechanic of switching between Riku and Sora is initially jarring, but isn't that bad when you get used to it. I liked how you could see every story from two different points of view, but the Dream Eaters are one of the series' most useless things. Gameplay of jumping off the nearest wall CONSTANTLY to deal the strongest attacks just isn't fun. And the most aggravating thing is the out of NOWHERE difficult spike when you reach the final world. It's RIDICULOUS how there's no real grinding opportunites in combination with poor balancing. I played this game for the first time as the PS4 re-release port... and it's frustrating.

Resistance: Burning Skies is the most through-and-through "Fine" game there is on the Vita. I love the franchise, but this game is short and has a forgettable narrative with a self-contained faceless character, despite how fun it is to fight Chimera on the go. Sure, the gimmicks of the touch screen for set pieces and melee is a bummer, but it's a solid, quality FPS for a portable, and that's good.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is my favorite Vita exclusive (I didn't play the Vita much). But it's more Uncharted and it's enjoyable. Clearly an outlier by coming out post 3, but taking place pre 1, much like Resistance, it's a great franchise on the go. Some of the story moments are kind of stupid, but what's Uncharted without its campy aspects. Really like this as a mindless one-off.

Finally, the last game on my list and my number 4 pick is Halo 4. And when I think about this game, I think of friends. The campaign is... eeeehhhhh? Shrugs Shoulders What I think fondly of is spending SO much time in Forge or private lobbies with friends, messing around on weird maps and bizarre game modes. Multiplayer is what it is and while I do have a couple of nice moments in mind, for the most part, it's whatever.

WHEW. That SHOULD be my last post in this thread (pending the recap stats) so all of the thank yous to anyone who has read a sentence of this and to @Axel for once again giving us such an enjoyable time! Until the 2019 thread!!!

• I already mentioned the other two games to round out my top 4 earlier. I'm not remotely shocked Rock Band Blitz is a no-show since I know I'm the only person that played that (nevermind enjoyed it more than the actual Rock Band games) and I'm even less shocked Cherry Tree High Comedy Club is a no-show because I'm probably not even joking this time when I say I'm the only person here that played that game.

My other HM was WWE '13 which I mean, yeah I know it's a sports game but dude I put way too much time into that one during late 2012/early 2013. I just really enjoy messing around with the create-a-whatever modes in these games or coming up with my own batshit insane storylines. Nevermind the pretty fun recreation of the Attitude Era. I thought the way it was structured (recreating notable spots from famous matches through the era) is probably the smartest way to handle a pro wrestling video game and enjoyed it in 2k14 and 2k16 just as much, and was really let down that there were no showcases in 17 or 18 that I recall.

• I played all episodes of The Walking Dead at the end of 2012 back to back. It was an emotional roller coaster that had me tearing up by the end. It might not be one of the best video game story's ever but very few have impacted me like this game. It's easily my favorite Telltale game.

Back in 2012 I was split between XCOM and The Walking Dead as far as my GOTY goes. Ultimately I went with XCOM for it's masterful turn-based gameplay and I still stand by it now in 2019.

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    2. The Walking Dead
    3. Dragons Dogma
    4. Mass Effect 3
    5. (HM) Max Payne 3
    6. (HM) Hotline Miami
    7. (HM) FTL: Faster Than Light
    8. (HM) NCAA Football 13

Thanks @Axel for putting this together. I'm looking forward to the next GOTY vote.

• Mass Effect 3 has one of my favorite ending in videogames and I’m talking about its original ending. I’m still amazed how something can be both so simple and incredibly powerful at the same time.

Spoiler warning! Also long emotional post warning!

Through the whole game you are racing against time to build the ultimate weapon against Reapers and save the Galaxy once and for all. With incredible sacrifices (including the death of two companions you’ve took on the last mission) you reach your destination where you learn that your goal, the thing you were hoping for, the thing you’ve put everything on is simply unachievable. Yet in this moment of despair there is still a thing you need to do: you need to make a choice. A choice you not ready for. A choice you are not authorized to make. A choice only you can make.

This very moment is what makes Mass Effect 3 so special. In any other game you either reach one of the ending automatically based on your previous choices, or you mindlessly pick one of the options based on what type of playthrough (good/evil/etc.) you are playing. But in Mass Effect 3 you have to look back at your whole journey and think. Think about every choice you made and its result. Think about every fraction you’ve meet and your feelings about them. Think about who you are and in what future you believe the most. And once you realize that for his/her whole life Shepard was unknowingly preparing for this very moment you understand what choice he/she would make.

Like a true piece of art Mass Effect 3 speaks about real life’s problems. About how sometimes your hopes can be crushed, but you must still carry on. About how to make choices you are not prepared for. About starting a new when you can’t return to the past.

Sadly the Internet only wanted a generic game where ending is decided by flags in your savegame and there’s one “sunshine and rainbows” true ending that is considered a canon. And as a result many of those who haven’t played Mass Effect 3 think that it’s a bad game. I’m extremely glad that this community thinks otherwise.

P.S. I played multiplayer for almost two month and I liked it. It nothing to praise, but it’s definitely not an unnecessary filler.

• Mass Effect 3 is great, and the backlash was way overblown. The original ending was somewhat lack-luster (not enough to warrant a lawsuit), but the extended ending adds a lot to the game. The story is great, and is honestly emotional at times. It also has some of the best character interactions in the series, further cementing Garrus' god-tier status.

It's a game that feels urgent, like a race against time. The entire time, the game feels like a conclusion. It makes you understand that this is the last time you're interacting with these characters, making you really appreciate it. It's just a good fucking game.

The Walking Dead is excellent, and is still on of the best games I've ever played. No matter how many times I play it, all of the emotional moments hit me. In fact, I don't think I've ever played it to completion without crying. The writing is excellent, and it kind of blows me away that so much happens in only like eight hours. Though it eventually grew tiresome, the episodic structure also adds a lot to the game. It helps the game flow naturally while still having a number of self-contained stories.

I don't really get the argument that the choices don't matter. Sure, you get the same ending no matter what you do, but why does that matter? For me, at least, its much more about the journey than the ending. I would argue that the game having the same ending no matter what you do is more thematically powerful than if you could change it. A big theme of the game is futility. No matter what happens, or how much you fight it, we all end up the same way. It's up to you to make the best with what you've got. To make the best for those you leave behind. I can't think of a better way to get that theme across than the final 10 minutes of episode 5.

• The Walking Dead was #5 on my list. I liked its story and it opened a new genre for me. Played all Telltale games that were released after that.

• Here are my 2012 GotYs:

1. Mass Effect 3
    2. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
    3. Spec Ops: The Line
    4. Dance Central 3
    5. The Walking Dead
    6. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    7. Dishonored
    8. Borderlands 2

I've previously explained all my picks but one: Dance Central 3. Dance Central trilogy were the only games I played on Xbox 360. Loved them despite not being able to dance at all. Also I love Kinect and I'm sad that this technology died. It had so much potential especially in VR era.

• I will never get over the ending of Mass Effect 3. F*ck that ending. First two games are great. Third one is one of the biggest gaming disappointments of my life.
    Game didn't even make my list.

1: Persona 4 Golden (disqualified, but still counts in my mind. It's a standalone game and is not lumped in with P4. I shifted everything up one and did not add another HM)
    2: Sleeping Dogs
    3: Gravity Rush
    4: Binary Domain am I the only one that voted for this?

HM: Tokyo Jungle, Wipeout 2048, FTL, Dragon's Dogma

• Ah, The Walking Dead. It just missed of getting my vote. I feel like a god damn broken record for saying this, but it's also a case of "thought fondly of it then, and not so much today". As someone who was familiar with Telltale's work before this (love the Sam & Max games), my positive views of this game today is mostly attributed to the fact that this game made Telltale go into the big time. It's cool to see a lesser known developer that you like go famous after doing something special that many people really liked. I enjoyed the story back when I played it, and the choices it forced me to make are pretty mind-taxing. It was one of the first games that got me feeling emotional. Still, something just makes me more apprehensive about it today, despite me not being able to recall big problems with the game.

As for Mass Effect 3, well... I only played the first two hours of the game, had some fun, then never came back to it for some reason.

I will update my post with my full list of votes shortly. Big thanks to everyone here for participating and giving your own thoughts about your entries, and to @Axel for setting up this whole beautiful thing.

Update: here's my list of votes!

1. Max Payne 3
    2. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
    3. FTL: Faster Than Light
    4. Katawa Shoujo
      Honorable Mentions:
      Dishonored
      Binary Domain - you're not alone, @TokyoSlim
      Sleeping Dogs
      Gravity Rush

The only one that I haven't given my thoughts on is Criterion's NFS Most Wanted since it didn't get in. Would it surprise any of you that this is my favorite racing game of all time? The ones that came up very close are GT Sport and Shift 2 Unleashed. Anyway, I just remember enjoying this game so much. I love collecting the cars, I love how it controls, I love the soundtrack. I don't think I've been so invested in a racing game. Fairhaven was a fun place to roam around too. My opinion of this game actually went up after I played Burnout Paradise Remastered on the PS4 weeks ago, as when I was playing it I kept thinking about how much more fun NFS Most Wanted is. I feel a bit sad that it didn't made it in though. Oh well.

• Mass Effect 3 is a good game, an intense experience. Not as good as ME2 so didn't make the cut for me now.

The Walking Dead from Telltale is one of the most gripping game series this decade. I was there right from the beginning, I remember the surprised buzz for the first episode, and what a year that developed into. At least for me that was something truly new, making life and death decisions for your companions on that gruesome journey. Lee and Clementine, oh man... And Kenny! What a partner.

It took eventually seven years to finish Clementine's story, I'm happy we got that closure this spring after all those sad news.

Here's my list for 2012, I got six of my eight games in:

#1: Hotline Miami
    #2: Lego The Lord of the Rings (not in)
    #3: The Walking Dead: Season One
    #4: Darksiders II (not in)
    HM: Far Cry 3
    HM: Max Payne 3
    HM: Sleeping Dogs
    HM: Spec Ops: The Line

The Lord of the Rings is my favourite Lego game, that thing is beautiful af! The way they made the Middle-earth the big hub world to travel, mmmmhhhhh! It feels so good! From sunny Shire with its music all the way to dark Mordor. Seeing Amon Sûl and Isengard and Rohan and Gondor and all those places and then going in. I mean I love Marvel so freaking much and those games are so fun to play, but the environment and the atmosphere place LotR on the first place for me.

Darksiders II is a very enjoyable game, I've finished it a few times. Death is so much more agile than War from the first game and the whole combat system feels freaking good with the scythes. The world and all those places are built in that Zelda style, secrets in many places. Getting new items and returning to previous areas with them. And the whole Diablo style loot system with the weapons and gear made the whole experience really addictive, cool surprises pretty often. Jesper Kyd as the composer ties it all together. That Guardian Theme for the first hub world, oh my God!

• Love Mass Effect 3. Love the ending, but I do think that the fourth option the extended cut gives you is necessary for completeness. It’s the canon ending imo.

I think the combat in that game is glorious and some of the DLCs and Missions are incredible. It’s hard to believe what they were able to accomplish in barely 18 months development. I prefer the game over Mass Effect 2, which feels much too like a stopgap for my tastes. That said, the DLC Arrival is a Masterpiece.

The only thing that I find really quite repugnant is that the choices you make ultimately don’t matter. And I’m not even talking about the ending. They had a really cool opportunity to make a choice made in the first game have a real, tangible effect in the third one, that can be seen not just in story but noticed in moment to moment gameplay. I’m continually disappointed that it was never put into action.

Ultimately, I think the game is a wonderful conclusion to a legendary trilogy. Prime remake/remaster candidates for Next Gen consoles imo.

• I was really lucky that I already bought Telltale games religiously prior to The Walking Dead because of the Back to the Future and the Jurassic Park games that I found through a YouTube let’s player called DarksydePhil. I found them really really enjoyable, and was high on The Walking Dead at the time, so when I heard they were releasing a Telltale series I was barely able to contain myself.

I played every episode within hours if not minutes of release, and talked about it for hours on end afterwards with friends and on forums.

What an emotional journey. It’s just an incredible piece of story telling and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

• Persona 4 Golden would've easily won this countdown :P #robbed

• My top 8:

Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
    Resident Evil: Revelations
    The Last Story

Binary Domain
    Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
    Tales of Graces f

I found The Walking Dead to be a bit a big let down after such great series such as Sam and Max, Back to the Future and their Tales of Monkey Island. They used to make some really good Point and Click adventure games but they dropped a lot of what made the genre what it is when it came to TWD and beyond. Such a shame. As for ME3, I think it got enough of a beating back that year, I wouldn't exactly call it a positive mark for video games in 2012.

• My top 8 is:

#1: Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season One
    #2: Dishonored
    #3: Dragon's Dogma
    #4: Mass Effect 3
    Honorable mentions: Journey, Far Cry 3, Diablo III, Borderlands 2

Persona 4 Golden was my first number one pick. I totally forgot about Binary Domain and Gravity Rush, they would easily make it in my top 8. I should start double checking before voting.