The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• I liked Assassin's Creed III and it was close to get 8th place on my list. I'm glad that it made the cut.

• For shame.

Assassins Creed 3 (I’ve only played up to Syndicate) is the best one. Underneath all the bugs and glitches is an amazing, groundbreaking game. I’ve splurged on Reddit about it multiple times, so rather than try and recall everything I like, I’ll find those posts and paste them here in a bit.

I’m amazed it only got 7 points, it’s easily one of the best games released that year!

• I'm a big fan of the AC series, played them all. In this case the year just offered narrowly eight other games I'd rather return to right now. Connor's tomahawk was a cool weapon to use, and the game introduced the naval missions to the series with the Aquila. There's been no going back after that, and mostly that's been a nice decision. Eventually, though, the American Revolution just wasn't one of my favourite eras the series has concentrated on. Still glad the game made it to the list.

• Found it!

Assassin's Creed 3 is a really fun game and a nice midway point between the massive world of Black Flag and the relatively contained worlds of Ezio's games.

Personal highlights for me:

Homestead Missions

They seem like standard side-content missions towards the beginning of the game but this is where you will progress most of Connor's relationship with Achilles and how you will eventually make money. Not only this, but the Homestead missions see you complete missions that seem like more normal tasks. If you ever get tired of killing and maiming, give a go at retrieving a hidden treasure or helping a woodworker recover his tools. It may seem bland, but despite the limited amount of time that gets spent developing these characters, I ended the game caring about the relationships quite a bit.

Mason Tunnels

An extension on the fast travel mechanic from the Ezio games, the Mason Tunnels are a set of tunnels under each city that you can explore at will. You have to travel through these tunnels, solving platforming puzzles, in order to reach the doors leading out into the world. Once you've unlocked a door, you can then fast travel to that point using the tunnel system.

While a utility, the tunnels are entertaining gameplay in their own right, reminding me very much of old-school Prince of Persia platforming puzzles (without the time powers). Definitely one of the better experiences on offer.

Codex/Database Entries

This is pretty short. If you've ever wanted to read about the American Revolution from the context of a cynical British man, make sure you read the codex entries and what-not.

Secret Treasure Missions

Often for a cool armour set in Ezio's games, in 3 these missions put you in pursuit of Captain Kidd's treasure. These self contained missions in a small environment have often been some of the strongest points of the Assassin's Creed games and the third iteration is no different.

The Frontier

One of my favourite environments in any video game ever, the Frontier is a massive space, filled with legendary creature hunts, collectables and outposts. You'll complete missions for various clubs, like Frontiersman and Hunting clubs and generally explore a wondrous environment.

Not only this, but the Frontier is displayed in Winter and Summer, completely changing the landscape and the experience. Do yourself a favour and wait til a Summer period to complete any of the missions though! It's much easier!

Haytham Kenway

The weaknesses of Connor are more than made up for in Haytham, one of the more entertaining characters of the entire franchise, Haytham has the same charisma and joking nature as some of the more popular characters from the Ezio titles, such as Ezio himself and Leonardo Da'Vinci.

And my low-lights:

Bugs

The game is ridiculously buggy, not only are there many gameplay and visual bugs but many missions will fail to even complete. Most buggy are the Delivery Request Citizen Missions. Tasking you with creating a bunch of crafting items (meaning that you need to complete the majority of the Homestead missions to complete these missions) you will often finish collecting the materials but be unable to hand them in. The hand-in NPC will often disappear from the game world or just refuse to take your items. It's frustrating especially considering the hard-work required to get to that point. I've personally experienced bugs with many of the main missions and some Frontier missions.

Encyclopaedia of the Common Man

An on-going homestead mission, this will drive you crazy if you try and do it without a guide, and even then it's pretty frustrating. There's lots of discussions on the internet about the best times and seasons for things to happen so look it up and save yourself the trouble.

Viewpoint System

Viewpoints no longer reveal the entire map, there will be areas that you must explore on foot still and this is a significant portion of the map, including the Frontier. This is to facilitate the hardest Frontiersman challenges, where you must reveal 90-95% of each map. I have absolutely no idea who at Ubisoft thought this was a good change but it's terrible. Do yourself a favour and write off the Frontiersman Level 3 challenges! :P

Finally...

"WHERE IS CHARLES LEE?!"

Shut up, Connor...

But yeah, if a lot of my low-points were fixed this would probably be my favourite game in the series but there's enough stand-out moments than mean I end up still really enjoying the experience. I think it's unfortunate really, the game gets a lot of flack, especially with it being stuck between Black Flag and the Ezio series, that are definitely stronger entries in the franchise as a whole. However, the improvement in overall gameplay, when it works, is more than apparent in AC3, especially following on from Revelations, which in my opinion is the weakest game in the franchise.

• Wipeout was one of two games I picked up on launch day with my Vita, the other being Uncharted. It's a wonderful entry, though not my personal favourite and a great showcase for the system. It's going to be very rare to see a racing game in my top lists though.

Assassins Creed 3 I bought at launch too but....it's still sealed as new. I simply haven't finished revelations (half way) and I had no desire to move on until I had. I have since moved to complete Unity and start Origins, but that's only because I know there's no continuity past AC3. With Unity I also wanted to see what next gen AC looked like and I heard Origins finally shook the series up.

• I tried the original Assassin's Creed and while I finished it, it wasn't my kind of game. When AC III was announced, I was instantly hooked on the premise of playing as a Native American during the Revolutionary War (Going to school as a History major at the time was a nice coincidence). And while there a couple of things I really enjoyed, like taking part in the Boston Tea Party, Building the Homestead and all the Naval missions, the present day nonsense kept getting in the way, Connor became increasingly annoying, and there were some story problems that don't sit well with me.

Of the nine games I played in 2012, this places seventh, meaning it JUST barely made the cut for my Honorable mentions. If the two lower games appear I'll point them out, but suffice to say I think this is a mixed bag.

And finally, as is my custom, shoutouts to every person who also placed a game I had on my list on theirs: @Hazz3r and @FF7Cloud !

• I was off the Assassins Creed train with the Ezio trilogy pretty much taking the series in a seemingly infinite narrative direction, but once I saw AC3 was an Indigenous story, I was excited. I never followed up on whether Indigenous people had a say in its creation but what I hear, it actually had a solid story and gameplay scenarios but late into the game.

I actually bought this but I had issues with the acting performances and extremely slow pace. On top of that, I felt like I was at the end of my rope with the hard to control parkour stuff. I bailed about 13 hours in and haven’t looked back at Assassin’s Creed unfortunately.

• Global Moderator

Oh wow! AC3 made it on the list! I really got to go back and play this. At the point when I played this, I was so burned out on the AC games that I didnt really enjoy it and just wanted to get through it for the sake of it.

Now with a few years away from the series I might enjoy it again.

• Katawa Shoujo

#23. Katawa Shoujo - 7 points

Votes

#1: 1 (Exist 2 Inspire)
    #2: 0
    #3: 0
    #4: 1 (bam541)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: January 4 [US/EU]
    Developer: Four Leaf Studios
    Publisher: Four Leaf Studios
    Genre: Visual novel
    Platform(s): Microsoft Windows, OS X

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• First time I had to actually click that Wikipedia link.

• Holy shit KS got in! Clutch @Exist-2-Inspire with that full 5 points.

To put it simply, It's a visual novel dating sim game set in a school for disabled people. There's 5 characters to date, which basically means the game can go in 5 different main routes (and 1 extra one if you're a dumdum). Each route are handled so differently in tone, moral, and writing style. One of the routes is quite depressing and surreal, while one of the other ones goes for a cliche romantic movie feel (and it's my favorite one). There's not one that I disliked. I think I shed at least a tear during each of them.

The biggest strength of this game for me is that those 5 characters are actually well written and memorable. They all have their own virtues, struggles, secrets. It's hard not to get invested in learning more about them in their respective routes, and care for them more as it goes. There's some cool supporting characters too, like your comic relief paranoid neighbor, or the shy but wise librarian. It's a fantastic cast overall.

I also like to give a shoutout to the music. Lots of great tunes here. The main menu theme (Wiosna) still makes me cry a bit to this day. The song itself is beautiful, but that's not really the reason it impacted me. It's just that after ending each route, you'll go back to the main menu, and that subconsciously makes me associate the emotional feels of the endings with that song, and boy it can feel a bit too much for me at times when I'm listening to it. Anyway, here's one of my favorites:

Youtube Video

Considering how this game is made and came out to be, it still surprises me that I got so much out of it. Who knew that a free game that I downloaded because of pure curiosity would open my eyes to so many things in life? It did a lot to my 14 year old brain.

• Legendary game. @bam541 pretty much said everything that needs to be said. If this seems remotely interesting to you, check it out it's free so you have nothing to lose.

http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/download.php

• @exist-2-inspire said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

If this seems remotely interesting to you, check it out it's free so you have nothing to lose.

http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/download.php

Be aware that it is an Eroge of sorts and so contains sex scenes. If that’s not your thing then you can turn them off in the settings somewhere I think. It’s naturally been years since I went through it.

• It's been some time (I think this is the second ever) where I have never heard, seen, or otherwise been made aware of a game that makes the list. As such, I can't comment beyond what resources are provided here, which is to say, nothing really. Good on it for making it in.

• I remember playing this when it first came out and thinking "yeah that's alright." I dunno not my cuppa tea but I can see why people would have voted for it.

• Tales of Graces f

#22. Tales of Graces f - 8 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (Tearju Engi)
    #3: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    #4: 0
    HM: 1 (Sheria)

Information

Release date: March 13 [US], August 31 [EU]
    Developer: Namco Tales Studio
    Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
    Genre: Role-playing
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, Wii

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• I really enjoyed Tails of Graces, though I still do feel its one of the weaker games in the series overall. Unfortunately the games plot is lackluster and forgettable but it makes up for it with its battle system and wonderful set of characters.

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

It's been some time (I think this is the second ever) where I have never heard, seen, or otherwise been made aware of a game that makes the list. As such, I can't comment beyond what resources are provided here, which is to say, nothing really. Good on it for making it in.

Well that didn't last as long as the previous interval......

• Tokyo Jungle

#21. Tokyo Jungle - 9 points

Votes

#1: 0
    #2: 1 (tokeeffe9)
    #3: 1 (Hanabi)
    #4: 1 (TokyoSlim)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: September 25 [US], September 26 [EU]
    Developer: SCE Japan Studio
    Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
    Genre: Action
    Platform(s): PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• Tokyo Jungle is such a cool game, though I'm ashamed of how little I've actually put into it. I wouldn't be surprised if it bumped up to #2 for me if I'd given it more than a few hours.