The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• Mass Effect 3 is a good game, an intense experience. Not as good as ME2 so didn't make the cut for me now.

The Walking Dead from Telltale is one of the most gripping game series this decade. I was there right from the beginning, I remember the surprised buzz for the first episode, and what a year that developed into. At least for me that was something truly new, making life and death decisions for your companions on that gruesome journey. Lee and Clementine, oh man... And Kenny! What a partner.

It took eventually seven years to finish Clementine's story, I'm happy we got that closure this spring after all those sad news.

Here's my list for 2012, I got six of my eight games in:

#1: Hotline Miami
    #2: Lego The Lord of the Rings (not in)
    #3: The Walking Dead: Season One
    #4: Darksiders II (not in)
    HM: Far Cry 3
    HM: Max Payne 3
    HM: Sleeping Dogs
    HM: Spec Ops: The Line

The Lord of the Rings is my favourite Lego game, that thing is beautiful af! The way they made the Middle-earth the big hub world to travel, mmmmhhhhh! It feels so good! From sunny Shire with its music all the way to dark Mordor. Seeing Amon Sûl and Isengard and Rohan and Gondor and all those places and then going in. I mean I love Marvel so freaking much and those games are so fun to play, but the environment and the atmosphere place LotR on the first place for me.

Darksiders II is a very enjoyable game, I've finished it a few times. Death is so much more agile than War from the first game and the whole combat system feels freaking good with the scythes. The world and all those places are built in that Zelda style, secrets in many places. Getting new items and returning to previous areas with them. And the whole Diablo style loot system with the weapons and gear made the whole experience really addictive, cool surprises pretty often. Jesper Kyd as the composer ties it all together. That Guardian Theme for the first hub world, oh my God!

• Love Mass Effect 3. Love the ending, but I do think that the fourth option the extended cut gives you is necessary for completeness. It’s the canon ending imo.

I think the combat in that game is glorious and some of the DLCs and Missions are incredible. It’s hard to believe what they were able to accomplish in barely 18 months development. I prefer the game over Mass Effect 2, which feels much too like a stopgap for my tastes. That said, the DLC Arrival is a Masterpiece.

The only thing that I find really quite repugnant is that the choices you make ultimately don’t matter. And I’m not even talking about the ending. They had a really cool opportunity to make a choice made in the first game have a real, tangible effect in the third one, that can be seen not just in story but noticed in moment to moment gameplay. I’m continually disappointed that it was never put into action.

Ultimately, I think the game is a wonderful conclusion to a legendary trilogy. Prime remake/remaster candidates for Next Gen consoles imo.

• I was really lucky that I already bought Telltale games religiously prior to The Walking Dead because of the Back to the Future and the Jurassic Park games that I found through a YouTube let’s player called DarksydePhil. I found them really really enjoyable, and was high on The Walking Dead at the time, so when I heard they were releasing a Telltale series I was barely able to contain myself.

I played every episode within hours if not minutes of release, and talked about it for hours on end afterwards with friends and on forums.

What an emotional journey. It’s just an incredible piece of story telling and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

• Persona 4 Golden would've easily won this countdown :P #robbed

• My top 8:

Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
    Resident Evil: Revelations
    The Last Story

Binary Domain
    Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
    Tales of Graces f

I found The Walking Dead to be a bit a big let down after such great series such as Sam and Max, Back to the Future and their Tales of Monkey Island. They used to make some really good Point and Click adventure games but they dropped a lot of what made the genre what it is when it came to TWD and beyond. Such a shame. As for ME3, I think it got enough of a beating back that year, I wouldn't exactly call it a positive mark for video games in 2012.

• My top 8 is:

#1: Telltale's The Walking Dead: Season One
    #2: Dishonored
    #3: Dragon's Dogma
    #4: Mass Effect 3
    Honorable mentions: Journey, Far Cry 3, Diablo III, Borderlands 2

Persona 4 Golden was my first number one pick. I totally forgot about Binary Domain and Gravity Rush, they would easily make it in my top 8. I should start double checking before voting.

• The only game that I voted for that didn't make the list was Binary Domain that I gave a HM to. I feel bad now that I didn't rank it higher. Its the King of the 7s.

• I played the Walking Dead. It was ok but not nearly enough traditional gameplay to get a vote out of me.

Mass Effect 3 I never played but I enjoyed 2 enough that I likely could have voted for 3 had I played it. I don't doubt it's a worthy game.

• Global Moderator

Glad to see that ME3 made the list. I was a little worried people was just gonna meme it out with the ending and not put it on their lists! Over all its a good game with some solid DLC. Its not as good as ME2 though, just didnt feel as a "grand finish" as I would of hoped for, but its still great and deserve its position.

Dishonored is one of those games I got a weird relationship with. I really like it, but I also hate it in many ways. I felt awesome when shadowstepping around and assassinating guards etc This game also had some solid DLC, liked the ending, but yeah, something was missing.

• My list:

1)Hotline Miami
    2)Pandora's Tower
    3)Kid Icarus: Uprising
    4)New Super Mario Bros U
    HM)Far Cry 3
    HM)Resident Evil: Revelations

I'm glad Hotline Miami made it in the top 10. It's probably still my favorite indie game ever. Gameplay is really fun and satisfying, difficulty level is perfect and the soundtrack and style are amazing.

It seems like Pandora's Tower is still one of the most underappreciated games of the last generation as it didn't make the top 25. Such a shame.

• Alright, let's recap this bad boy!

• The Walking Dead is the GOTY with only 43 points and only 4 GOTY votes, the lowest score ever. The previous "worst winner" was Shovel Knight in 2014 with 48 points. But we had only 31 people voting, so it didn't help.
    • To its credit, it is, with Shovel Knight, only the second indie game (I think it classifies?) to win GOTY!
    • Mass Effect 3 took second place, despite its bad rep! It's the highest ranking ever achieved by an EA game, their previous best was #6 with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
    • In third place, Dishonored with 3 GOTY votes, more than Mass Effect 3 (only 2). Its sequel, Dishonored 2, didn't even rank in 2016 with only 4 points. What happened, fans?
    • This means the top 3 are all Western-developed games, a feat only achieved in 2014 and 2018! All third-party publishers too, first-party studios were in a bit of a slump!
    • Guess which platform had the most exclusives that year? The mighty PC, with 4 games (Hotline Miami, Diablo III, FTL: Faster Than Light, Katawa Shoujo)!
    • The PlayStation 3 follows up with... 3 exclusives: Journey, Tokyo Jungle and Tales of Graces f.
    • Its little sister the PlayStation Vita launched that year and 2 exclusives made it: Gravity Rush (#5!)and Wipeout 2048.
    • Slow year for the 3DS with 2 exclusives: Kid Icarus: Uprising and Resident Evil: Revelations.
    • 1 lonely Wii exclusive: The Last Story.
    • This means Kid Icarus: Uprising is the only Nintendo game in the list, which is also a record, what a sad year it was to be a Nintendo fan.
    • Not a single Wii U launch title made it! But remember the PS4 and Xbox One also scored zero exclusive for their launch a year later.
    • Zero Xbox 360 exclusive as well, but we're used to that!
    • Now for the games that almost made it! Lego The Lord of the Rings, Binary Domain and Nintendo Land with 6 points!
    • 5 points: Need for Speed: Most Wanted, The Unfinished Swan, Super Hexagon, Halo 4.
    • 4 points: Rhythm Heaven Fever, Ys Origins, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2, Darksiders II, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Legend of Grimrock, Pandora's Tower, New Super Mario Bros. U, The Darkness II.
    • 3 points: Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Syndicate, Fez.
    • 2 points: Dance Central 3, Resident Evil 6, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.
    • 1 point: Persona 4 Arena, Mark of the Ninja, NCAA Football 13, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, Rock Band Blitz, WWE '13, Street Fighter X Tekken, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Resistance: Burning Skies, CounterStrike: Global Offensive, Natural Selection 2, Forza Horizon, Thomas Was Alone, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Lollipop Chainsaw, Crusader Kings II, Dustforce, ZombiU.
    • 0 point: Soulcalibur V, Ninja Gaiden 3, Kinect Star Wars, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Hitman: Absolution, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale...

It's the first time my personal GOTY wins!

I've only played 6 games out of this Top 25. The only one on my backlog would be Mass Effect 3, but I haven't even played 2...

Thanks again to all participants, you're all making this super fun! Next stop will be in January for the much anticipated 2019 GOTY, I feel it's gonna be an unpredictable one!

I just missed the deadline for October's Community Showcase but I'll submit this list to the Allies in November so they can tell us how wrong we are, feel free to remind me of doing it when the time comes.

• @axel I planned to submit results to October's Q&A to inform most of the allies. But I think that doing both is a good idea since YouTube & Twitch has slightly different audience. Besides Q&A allows only 200 words while Community Showcase has 500 limit, so I will sadly have to omit this wonderful analysis.

What do you think?

P.S. I've considered Hitman: Absolution for my #8. It has problems, but I liked it.

• My top 8:

The Walking Dead: Season 1
    Mass Effect 3
    Journey
    Sleeping Dogs

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Spec Ops: The Line
    Forza Horizon
    Lego The Lord of the Rings
    Nintendo Land

I kinda wish I put Nintendo Land and Lego LotR in my top 4, because they are excellent games and deserve to have made the list. I'm also pretty surprised I was the only person to vote for Forza Horizon. I feel like that made a pretty big splash when it came out but maybe I'm wrong.

• Dishonored
    FarCry 3
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Borderlands 2
    HM
    Persona 4 Arena
    Street Fighter x Tekken
    Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
    Spec Ops: The Line

If you aren't into fighting games but are into Persona and want to get into fighting games, P4A is a great place to enter. Definitely complex at higher levels but just the way all the Persona stuff is incorporated is neat. On that, I recently went back to SFXT, it doesn't hold up and would not be on my list anymore.

• NATURAL SELECTION 2 WAS RELEASED THAT YEAR WAAAAAAAT
    Would have included that badboy had I known.

• @ffff0 It rubs me the wrong way that you’re submitting something to the Allies that someone else has worked hard to organise and put together. I appreciate it’s likely good intentioned, but it comes off a bit like you’re trying to take the credit / attention, and I think @Axel might be too polite to ask you not to. You should let him submit it to what he wants.

• @el-shmiablo You’re god damn right it did.

Tough one again!
    Assassins Creed 3
    Mass Effect 3
    The Walking Dead Season 1
    Borderlands 2
    HM: Lego The Lord of the Rings
    HM: Natural Selection 2
    HM: CounterStrike: Global Offensive
    HM: Dishonored

Huge thanks again to @Axel For putting this together as always.

We were so close to getting Lego Lord of the Rings in! Gutted. Same thing happened last time with DotA 2 but this proves how single player focused this forum is. How am I the only person that put forward CSGO 😅

• @axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

• In third place, Dishonored with 3 GOTY votes, more than Mass Effect 3 (only 2). Its sequel, Dishonored 2, didn't even rank in 2016 with only 4 points. What happened, fans?

Wait, wut? Man, Dishonored 2 is seriously underrated. I guess most people bought it way after release like I did (which I regretted, I should have bought it day one).

• @axel In order

• With each list you do, I'll always be here for, but particularly with the retro lists, I feel they're getting less and less participation (Despite you only doing one or two retro lists a year). And that depresses me.

• What happened with Dishonored 2 is practically no one played the thing, which is a personal aggravating point. Dishonored 2 RULES and the fact it didn't place STILL hurts, not just on the Forum list, but the general discourse.

• I figured I was the only person to vote for Uncharted and Resistance.

• As for unpredictability for 2019, coming into the year I felt that and was excited for it, but as we sit here in October, I get the feeling Resident Evil 2 Remake has it locked because most of the highly anticipated stuff either were dated or delayed into 2020.

• I'll do my best to remind and request a move to the Hall of Fame at the same time in a few weeks.

• Excellent recap!

• 2019 spoiler:

Didn't play RE2 Remake. Don't really plan to do so before end of the year.