The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• My list:

1)Hotline Miami
    2)Pandora's Tower
    3)Kid Icarus: Uprising
    4)New Super Mario Bros U
    HM)Far Cry 3
    HM)Resident Evil: Revelations

I'm glad Hotline Miami made it in the top 10. It's probably still my favorite indie game ever. Gameplay is really fun and satisfying, difficulty level is perfect and the soundtrack and style are amazing.

It seems like Pandora's Tower is still one of the most underappreciated games of the last generation as it didn't make the top 25. Such a shame.

• Alright, let's recap this bad boy!

• The Walking Dead is the GOTY with only 43 points and only 4 GOTY votes, the lowest score ever. The previous "worst winner" was Shovel Knight in 2014 with 48 points. But we had only 31 people voting, so it didn't help.
    • To its credit, it is, with Shovel Knight, only the second indie game (I think it classifies?) to win GOTY!
    • Mass Effect 3 took second place, despite its bad rep! It's the highest ranking ever achieved by an EA game, their previous best was #6 with Dragon Age: Inquisition.
    • In third place, Dishonored with 3 GOTY votes, more than Mass Effect 3 (only 2). Its sequel, Dishonored 2, didn't even rank in 2016 with only 4 points. What happened, fans?
    • This means the top 3 are all Western-developed games, a feat only achieved in 2014 and 2018! All third-party publishers too, first-party studios were in a bit of a slump!
    • Guess which platform had the most exclusives that year? The mighty PC, with 4 games (Hotline Miami, Diablo III, FTL: Faster Than Light, Katawa Shoujo)!
    • The PlayStation 3 follows up with... 3 exclusives: Journey, Tokyo Jungle and Tales of Graces f.
    • Its little sister the PlayStation Vita launched that year and 2 exclusives made it: Gravity Rush (#5!)and Wipeout 2048.
    • Slow year for the 3DS with 2 exclusives: Kid Icarus: Uprising and Resident Evil: Revelations.
    • 1 lonely Wii exclusive: The Last Story.
    • This means Kid Icarus: Uprising is the only Nintendo game in the list, which is also a record, what a sad year it was to be a Nintendo fan.
    • Not a single Wii U launch title made it! But remember the PS4 and Xbox One also scored zero exclusive for their launch a year later.
    • Zero Xbox 360 exclusive as well, but we're used to that!
    • Now for the games that almost made it! Lego The Lord of the Rings, Binary Domain and Nintendo Land with 6 points!
    • 5 points: Need for Speed: Most Wanted, The Unfinished Swan, Super Hexagon, Halo 4.
    • 4 points: Rhythm Heaven Fever, Ys Origins, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2, Darksiders II, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Legend of Grimrock, Pandora's Tower, New Super Mario Bros. U, The Darkness II.
    • 3 points: Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Syndicate, Fez.
    • 2 points: Dance Central 3, Resident Evil 6, Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy.
    • 1 point: Persona 4 Arena, Mark of the Ninja, NCAA Football 13, Cherry Tree High Comedy Club, Rock Band Blitz, WWE '13, Street Fighter X Tekken, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Resistance: Burning Skies, CounterStrike: Global Offensive, Natural Selection 2, Forza Horizon, Thomas Was Alone, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Lollipop Chainsaw, Crusader Kings II, Dustforce, ZombiU.
    • 0 point: Soulcalibur V, Ninja Gaiden 3, Kinect Star Wars, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Hitman: Absolution, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale...

It's the first time my personal GOTY wins!

I've only played 6 games out of this Top 25. The only one on my backlog would be Mass Effect 3, but I haven't even played 2...

Thanks again to all participants, you're all making this super fun! Next stop will be in January for the much anticipated 2019 GOTY, I feel it's gonna be an unpredictable one!

I just missed the deadline for October's Community Showcase but I'll submit this list to the Allies in November so they can tell us how wrong we are, feel free to remind me of doing it when the time comes.

• @axel I planned to submit results to October's Q&A to inform most of the allies. But I think that doing both is a good idea since YouTube & Twitch has slightly different audience. Besides Q&A allows only 200 words while Community Showcase has 500 limit, so I will sadly have to omit this wonderful analysis.

What do you think?

P.S. I've considered Hitman: Absolution for my #8. It has problems, but I liked it.

• My top 8:

The Walking Dead: Season 1
    Mass Effect 3
    Journey
    Sleeping Dogs

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Spec Ops: The Line
    Forza Horizon
    Lego The Lord of the Rings
    Nintendo Land

I kinda wish I put Nintendo Land and Lego LotR in my top 4, because they are excellent games and deserve to have made the list. I'm also pretty surprised I was the only person to vote for Forza Horizon. I feel like that made a pretty big splash when it came out but maybe I'm wrong.

• Dishonored
    FarCry 3
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Borderlands 2
    HM
    Persona 4 Arena
    Street Fighter x Tekken
    Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
    Spec Ops: The Line

If you aren't into fighting games but are into Persona and want to get into fighting games, P4A is a great place to enter. Definitely complex at higher levels but just the way all the Persona stuff is incorporated is neat. On that, I recently went back to SFXT, it doesn't hold up and would not be on my list anymore.

• NATURAL SELECTION 2 WAS RELEASED THAT YEAR WAAAAAAAT
    Would have included that badboy had I known.

• @ffff0 It rubs me the wrong way that you’re submitting something to the Allies that someone else has worked hard to organise and put together. I appreciate it’s likely good intentioned, but it comes off a bit like you’re trying to take the credit / attention, and I think @Axel might be too polite to ask you not to. You should let him submit it to what he wants.

• @el-shmiablo You’re god damn right it did.

Tough one again!
    Assassins Creed 3
    Mass Effect 3
    The Walking Dead Season 1
    Borderlands 2
    HM: Lego The Lord of the Rings
    HM: Natural Selection 2
    HM: CounterStrike: Global Offensive
    HM: Dishonored

Huge thanks again to @Axel For putting this together as always.

We were so close to getting Lego Lord of the Rings in! Gutted. Same thing happened last time with DotA 2 but this proves how single player focused this forum is. How am I the only person that put forward CSGO 😅

• @axel said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

• In third place, Dishonored with 3 GOTY votes, more than Mass Effect 3 (only 2). Its sequel, Dishonored 2, didn't even rank in 2016 with only 4 points. What happened, fans?

Wait, wut? Man, Dishonored 2 is seriously underrated. I guess most people bought it way after release like I did (which I regretted, I should have bought it day one).

• @axel In order

• With each list you do, I'll always be here for, but particularly with the retro lists, I feel they're getting less and less participation (Despite you only doing one or two retro lists a year). And that depresses me.

• What happened with Dishonored 2 is practically no one played the thing, which is a personal aggravating point. Dishonored 2 RULES and the fact it didn't place STILL hurts, not just on the Forum list, but the general discourse.

• I figured I was the only person to vote for Uncharted and Resistance.

• As for unpredictability for 2019, coming into the year I felt that and was excited for it, but as we sit here in October, I get the feeling Resident Evil 2 Remake has it locked because most of the highly anticipated stuff either were dated or delayed into 2020.

• I'll do my best to remind and request a move to the Hall of Fame at the same time in a few weeks.

• Excellent recap!

• 2019 spoiler:

Didn't play RE2 Remake. Don't really plan to do so before end of the year.

• Oh man. Lego LotR almost made it. Thanks @Capnbobamous & @Hazz3r, we're the ones cheering for it. Ended up giving it staggering 4 points, personally. It's just such a treat.

• @hazz3r said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

It rubs me the wrong way that you’re submitting something to the Allies that someone else has worked hard to organise and put together. I appreciate it’s likely good intentioned, but it comes off a bit like you’re trying to take the credit / attention, and I think @Axel might be too polite to ask you not to. You should let him submit it to what he wants.

That's an interesting perspective. Sure, I always presented them with the phrase "EZA forum community have collectively picked..." and never credited @Axel personally but I never talked about myself either. I personally see my submissions as a news report on a story that deserves promotion. I also got the impression that @Axel don't have access to Q&A tier. And I can assure you that I don't need attention - I'm not a social person.

As I said previously I let @Axel to decide whether I should submit to Q&A or not.

P.S. I'm not sure how my post sounds, but I wrote is as a neutral explanation of my actions. No hard feelings or anything.

• Top 25 Game That I Want To Play The Most: Gravity Rush
    Top Game I Wish Had Made It: Legend of Grimrock

I completely forgot that Ys Origins was eligible for this GOTY, although I'm not sure how highly I would have voted for it.

• @ffff0 That’s completely fair. I don’t listen to the Q&A (I think it’s kinda boring and by the numbers) so I had no idea you don’t try and take credit. Apologies if my post bothered you, but I think we’re on the same page anyways.

• No offense taken about others submitting the GOTY stuff, but yes I'd rather do it myself :)

I don't even know if I have access to the Q&A tier, I also never watch it haha.

I feel like it belongs more to the Community Showcase though, Q&A is more about asking the Allies personal questions I imagine? So I'd prefer to just wait for the next one and submit it then.

@Brannox I wouldn't be so sure about RE2 winning, there's a significant subset of people who just never play horror games (I think you're one of them ;)), and something like Sekiro or Death Stranding could easily topple it knowing our demographic.

• OK @Axel, I'll let you do the honors.

P.S. Just for reference: 2018 GotY in February 2019 Q&A

Youtube Video – [06:18..]

• @axel Absolutely! I only sided with RE 2 for two reasons:

• As much praise Sekiro has gotten, because RE 2 is a beloved pre-existing game that actually hit the incredibly high expectations in its Remake, I feel like I've been exposed to more praise for it.

• Looking at the map that's been 2019, many contenders that could go toe-to-toe with RE 2 and Sekiro either didn't live up to GOTY contention (Spoilers for my GOTY list, KH III currently leads, but even though it tops my list for now, it and many other games [Metro, Devil May Cry 5, Fire Emblem: Three Houses {A dark horse!}, The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening and even Apex Legends among others] ALL are not as critically well received as RE 2) OR the games were pushed/dated 2020 (The Last of Us Part II, Final Fantasy VII: Remake, CyberPunk 2077, DOOM: Eternal, etc.)

You are correct I'm one that doesn't touch horror, but I DID watch the complete playthrough Huber did at release (Like for VII, and now I've seen 4 and 5 this way as well), and I recognize the game is excellent.

As for future games (Death Stranding, Jedi: Fallen Order, and Pokemon specifically), Death Stranding may have the strongest case, but it MIGHT suffer for being too weird/obtuse/etc., to definitively say its in the running. Not at least until it comes out anyway. Just because this is Kojima's first game since Konami Konami'd, doesn't NECESSARILY mean it'll be a critical hit. Not saying it won't be, just saying until I see/hear impressions/reviews, I'm not declaring it a contender yet.

Using myself as an example of personal interest in the Death Stranding timeline:

• E3 2016 reveal - Ok. Weird. But I'm pissed at Konami. I don't know what this is, but I'm interested and want to see Kojima succeed.
    • The Game Awards 2016 trailer - Sweet! Del Toro AND Mads is in this. Still weird, but still interested.
    • The Game Awards 2017 trailer - Oooookay. First half segment in the rain is intriguing, but the second half in the apparent underwater is kind of dampening it for me.
    • E3 2018 trailer ("Gameplay" reveal) - Pretty. Like the song. Super wide open. Looks... boring? What are we even DOING?!
    • TGS 2018 trailer - Troy Baker is in it. Hype increased
    • Release date trailer - OK! Here we GO! Love this song. Ok, so THAT'S combat. FINALLY some new characters. Flashbacks?!
    • Gamescom trailer and stage presentation - ...........Kojima and Keighley more than love each other at this point right? But... the BB integration could be annoying. Why is peeing a mechanic? Combat against... that.... whatever it is.... looks complicated and stressful.
    • Character trailers, TV commerical, and briefing trailers - Ok, so everything I've seen at this point is so bizarre, out there, and (again all of this is my personal reactions and feelings as they've evolved with each new piece of media) not engaging gameplay wise, it actually did TOO much in the marketing and now I've gone from interested in getting pending others' impressions to "Nope. Too obtuse. Best of luck to it, because it'll sell regardless."

• @brannox said in The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!:

Death Stranding may have the strongest case

I'm looking forward to play Death Stranding on my Game Pass... oops, Sony charge full price for their exclusives. So I'll be waiting for sale and playing The Outer Worlds and Afterparty instead.

• Sorry I couldn't partake this time but thanks to @Axel for the fun community game again.

I still haven't formed a real list but Journey would be my GOTY.

I also need to finally play Spec Ops: The Line