The EZA Community Top 25 Best of 2012!

• I really like the Borderlands series but this is just another reminder of how my friends don't want to play them with me anymore. That may have influenced where it ended up on my list.

• I loved Borderlands 2. I really enjoyed all the nods to other franchises, like Dark Souls, Minecraft and Batman. Also, the puzzles you find along the way. Great fun. Easily one of the best Shooters ever made. Should be higher on the list.

• I think I played BL2 for a long time but didn't really like it. At some point I was like "why am I still playing this?" and quit.
    I really did like Telltale Borderlands tho.

• Wow, the second game I voted for has made an appearance. Not surprising I was the highest vote for the game because it can VERY hit or miss, dependent upon any given person's tastes.

For me, the reason why it ranks so high is four-fold:

1.) My friends tried to get me into Borderlands and when I finally did, they didn't stick with it almost instantly. But I made the investment so I played through them. The first is fine but this one is MUCH better and I JUST completed a YEARS long playthrough with my best friend (Base game and all DLC), so it's pretty fresh and I associate this game with friends.

2.) Weapon variety. I am NOT a loot grind person as I don't care for games like the Division or Destiny (especially when said games are better with friends, which I've just established, or not the most available or reliable people). But I've always gotten a kick out of getting a Blue, Purple or Orange weapon and it do some ridiculous stuff. I'm currently playing Borderlands 3 and this point is even further refined. I just got the ship and I'm SWIMMING in high rarity weapons.

3.) Story improvement. The first game didn't really have a story, but the sequel actually HAS an interesting throughline of a narrative, primarily made by Handsome Jack. Excellent villain to detest. Plus interacting with the previous game's protagonists as the main characters here was a nice touch.

4.) Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. I LOVE this DLC and it goes back and forth in my mind as my favorite DLC EVER with another game which we should be seeing later (I'll talk about it then). But this DLC RULES. The concept of playing IN a D&D- oh, sorry, a "Bunkers & Badasses" game with Tina being the DM is hilarious. Also Flamerock Refuge, the town of the DLC is my single favorite area in the entire game. So cozy and jolly.

While I don't want play this again ANY time soon (again. That playthrough took YEARS), this is still solid. To conclude with my custom, shoutouts and high-fives to all those who like it enough to put it on their lists in some way! @E_Zed_Eh_Intern, @Hazz3r, @Sazime, @Hidz, @Exist-2-Inspire, @ffff0, and @Brandon_Reister!

• Global Moderator

Oh wow! I cant believe I forgot to put Diablo 3 on my list! This is a game I really enjoyed playing with my friends, even though I didnt play it until last year I think, or if it was this year? Grindy but funny and sometimes thats all you need.

• So the student becomes the master. Borderlands 2 surpasses Diablo 3 on our list.

I haven't play either cause I'm not a fan of loot games but its always fun to see things go full circle.

• The Last Story

#15. The Last Story - 13 points

Votes

#1: 1 (FF7Cloud)
    #2: 1 (paulmci27)
    #3: 0
    #4: 2 (GageBlackW23, Sheria)
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: February 24 [EU], August 14 [US]
    Developer: Mistwalker, AQ Interactive
    Publisher: Nintendo, Xseed Games
    Genre: Action role-playing
    Platform(s): Wii

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia
    GT Review

• A FOURTH game I haven't heard of! But the interest keeps climbing with each new discovery. For the Last Story, the fact Hironobu Sakaguchi directed this is a personal eyebrow raiser, only because I don't know as much of his post FF career as I would like.

The reason why I'll never play this is the platform: I never owned a Wii, and during the brief window when I had sparse access to one, the owner was NOT into JRPGs. And now, hearing of its existence 13 years post release, further cements that. However, taking a look at some screenshots, this game looks GOOD for a Wii game, especially in the twilight of the system.

• Still have a sealed copy of this game sitting around. Maybe I'll get to it one day. Or maybe Nintendo will release the definitive edition for Switch.

• The only rainfall game I haven’t played, looked really interesting!

• I played a small amount of Diablo 1 back in the day but never liked it so I never carried on with the series. I've also played small amounts of Borderlands 1 and 2. They really aren't for me.

The Last Story was great though. Nice story, wonderful music and it was actually a really good length for an RPG imo. It never overstayed its welcome.

• I'm glad The Last Story made it on the list. Had a really interesting fun unique combat system & brilliant voice acting. This was the first game I played in 7 years after I stopped gaming when I lived in the States. So its a sentimental game for me.

• @brannox wasnt just sakigouchi many former final fantasy team members worked on last story

• @ff7cloud Oh! Nice! Makes the appeal even stronger.

• I always really wanted to play this game! Hope it gets a remaster/re-release.

• Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

#14. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - 13 points

Votes

#1: 1 (bard91)
    #2: 2 (ffff0, Sheria)
    #3: 0
    #4: 0
    HM: 0

Information

Release date: October 23 [US], November 23 [EU]
    Developer: Chunsoft
    Publisher: Aksys Games, Rising Star Games
    Genre: Adventure, Visual novel
    Platform(s): PlayStation 4, Nintendo 3DS, PlayStation Vita, Microsoft Windows

Links

Trailer
    Wikipedia

• I've never really been a fan of the Zero Escape games but I have a couple of friends who swear by them, so I like hearing them talk about them more than I have any interest in playing them. This kind of game doesn't really appeal to me, but it makes me happy it brings enjoyment to others, so as far Zero Escape is concerned, that's good enough for me.

• Let me tell you a story.

I try all PS Plus games. One month one of those games for Vita was Virtue’s Last Reward. So I’ve decided to give it 5 minutes before deleting it. In 5 minutes I’ve got to a puzzle and I like puzzles. I’ve decided to solve it and then uninstall the game. The puzzle was fine, so I’ve decided to watch next cut-scene before deleting it. The next cut-scene was over an hour long (at that time I had no idea what visual novel is) and in that hour I’ve got intrigued by the mystery of its story. So instead of deleting the game I’ve kept playing, but at that point I wanted to go only through one storyline (I’ve chosen the leftmost path on the flowchart). I was very surprised when I’ve reached story’s lock and by googling it I’ve discovered that you need to play other story paths. By that point I was already wrapped by game’s plot, so I’ve continued playing. And once I’ve started seeing alternative paths and once I’ve discovered that this gameplay gimmick is a part of the grand narrative I felt in love with this game.

Obviously some parts of its story and its premise just resonated with me and they may not resonate with you, but the fact that I went from being ready to trash this game almost immediately to 100% it three times and also buying 3DS and importing 999 just to see it’s prequel speaks volumes about the quality of Virtue’s Last Reward.

It was ported to PC a couple of years ago, so it’s easily accessible and it often goes on sales. If my story made you intrigued, add this game to your Steam wishlist. Maybe one day you will try it and maybe you’ll love it as much as I do.

• It can be tricky to try and convey just what makes the Zero Escape series so good.

I put the series in the adventure category more than the visual novel one. 999 managed to do this amazing thing where it took the gameplay mechanic 'new game plus' and managed to work it into the narrative, giving way to a mind blowing twist. I actually didn't think VLR could pull the same trick twice, but oh boy did it manage it, and it did so with no compromise to the shock factor either, even for those like myself who kind of expected such a thing.